Mouse no longer recognised. Help?

Misrabelle

Got Vegemite?
DONOR
Car(s)
'03 Falcon BA XR6, '79 XD Falcon S, '08 X5 3.0D
So, over the last day or so, I noticed that the mouse was starting to stick or lag onscreen, and then randomly the cursor just disappeared offscreen entirely. Rebooting worked for getting it all back to normal, but just now it happened again (after working fine all day), now the mouse isn't recognised at all, even after reboot.
I've unplugged it and plugged it back in, and while the lights in the mouse itself work fine, that's it.
It's the original, wired Dell mouse that came with the PC when I bought it years back.

At the moment I can't find my wireless mouse to try, it'll be around somewhere, and that's not really going to suit as a permanent option, because I'm likely to get VERY annoyed when the batteries die.

All the searches I've done suggest that it could be a problem with a recent Windows 10 update (though those posts were 2015), but I would have expected it to stop working as soon as the new update was installed, which it didn't.

Last edited:
I've had my USB keyboard die on me on an 8.1 update so that wouldn't surprise me. I also could be as simple as the sensor dying in the mouse or some other hardware failure.

I've now found the wireless mouse (was on my desk next to the computer), and that is working fine, so since I can't test the old mouse on my laptop, as it's one of the PS/2 type plugs, it's now in the bin. Will have to go shopping for a permanent replacement tomorrow. Gives me a chance to find something that glows blue like everything else on my computer...