Mrs. Jayhawks awesome appetizers.

Jay

the fool on the hill
Try them out!

Supreme Touch Down Taco Dip:
This is my favorite, almost a meal in itself, and once you had one taste, you can't stop eating it.

Brown 1 pound of ground beef and stir in one favorite taco seasoning packet (save 2 tablespoons for the mix). Drain and put in bottom of baking dish (she uses a eight inch glass casserole dish). Heat can of refried beans and spread evenly over the ground beef.

In a seperate bowl, mix:
8 oz. of cream cheese
1 cup of sour cream
2 tablespoons of taco seasoning mix

Spread cream cheese mixture over bean/beef. Top with one cup (or more) of shredded cheddar cheese. Add 2 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees or until cheese is melted. Can top with cut tomatoes, olives, onions, more sour cream...

Tortilla Roll-Ups:​

It is said that this appetizer is legend around Southern Wisconsin...how she came up with it I have no idea, but it has been since printed in several local recipe books.

16 oz. (2 packages) of creme cheese
1 Hidden Valley Ranch ranch mix (Hidden Valley also has a Santa Fe mix that gives it a real good flavor)
2 tablespoons milk
8 burrito size flour tortillas
1/2 cup of olives (optional)
1 can chopped green chilies
1 cup chopped red pepper
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of green onions (optional)

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl (except the tortillas...duh). individually microwave the tortillas for 30 seconds. Add mix to the tortilla (spread it on), not too thick, not too thin, and not near the edges. Wrap the tortilla in a damp paper towel. Refrigerate at least two hours. Remove the paper towels and cut into 1 inch pieces.

Last edited:
Wow...I drool. Seriously.
Could you explain what is in "Hidden Valley Ranch ranch mix"?

Thanks! :)

Damn, sounds awesome. Looks like I'm gonna have to throw an emergency party at my place as an excuse to make these. :dance:

Taco dip will be had.

:stupid: :stupid:

We must come to your haus. Have a big FG party celebration. Take our clothes off! Eat tacos! Drink beer!

I'll def try this out veggie style (aka use soy crumbs and beans with enchilada saus instead of beef).

I'm missing a key ingredient here... :hmm:

Oh yes! :threadnopics:

:p

Taco dip will be had.

And it was good.

Easy to make, although id did make a few more dirty dished than I'm used to. Next time I might try it with Velveta just to see what that's like, but I think taco cheese is gonna be the way to go.

According to America's Test Kitchen, surprisingly enough, the best canned refried beans is the Taco Bell brand.

However...nothing beats homemade.

According to America's Test Kitchen, surprisingly enough, the best canned refried beans is the Taco Bell brand.

However...nothing beats homemade.

Her mother is tops when it comes to homemade refried beans; Mrs. Jayhawk likes to use La Preferida. It's a Chicago thing.