MS forces me to reboot but i dont want to

bigfoot1942

i have Windows XP SP2 running on my workstation, and i installed some updates.
But i dont want to reboot, ill reboot when ATI releases new drivers, or when i get a BSOD, but not now.

but i get those annoying popups that say "do you want to restart now". After a day i think those are really annoying. but what do i see now?

crap2yh.jpg

so if i went away, my pc would reboot automatically, but i dont want that. it should keep downloading as it is damnit.

anyhow, i managed to get the old restart question back, as long as i dont click it away, my pc wont reboot. at least i think so.

BTW does anybody know a workaround for this so i can get the automatic updates popup off my screen?

update: i found out the countdown starts anyhow. damnit. HELP!!!
its 3.21AM over here and i need to go to sleep...

I assume you're at least going to shut off automatic updates?

Can you force quit the process that belongs to the dialog?

yeah i'd turn off automatic updates they are super nosey...
also if u want that stupid uptime script running and want to get
a record or whatever, setup a laptop to run all the time...
they use low power and will save u costs =] install like winNT or 2k onit

ESPNSTI said:
i did, but windows restarts the process....
btw i downloaded the updates manually, i thik its important to update your software to prevent getting hacked etc.

but its stupid to force users to do things imho... It my PC, i paid for it.

Do it manually next time. After a certain point of asking to restart and me replying no to restart, it won't ask you :D.

bigfoot1942 said:
btw i downloaded the updates manually
Mischief007 said:
Do it manually next time. After a certain point of asking to restart and me replying no to restart, it won't ask you :D.
errr..... :(

bigfoot: What's confusing you?? :)

Manually downloading the updates or saying no to restart and it won't ask you after a certain while.

Kip_6666 said:
switch to w2k :)

good idea. Can't hurt because that's what XP is based off.

bigfoot1942 said:
ESPNSTI said:
i did, but windows restarts the process....
Sounds like some sort of service would do that, see if there is something you can disable in the "services" control panel.
I still run Win2K, so I have no idea what though.

Mischief007 said:
Kip_6666 said:
switch to w2k :)
good idea. Can't hurt because that's what XP is based off.
I've always viewed XP as Win2k, but uglier, buggier and more annoying. :lol:

Mischief007 said:

Manually downloading the updates or saying no to restart and it won't ask you after a certain while.
i did download the updates manually, i ve been saying no to restarts for a day, and instead of not asking anymore it added a countdown timer to the popup. so youre advising something i tried but doesnt work.
;)

So what do you still need to do? Have you turned off automatic updates yet? :)

Who?

It's a workstation, he may have a server set up on that particular computer or some other program that's a hassle when you need to restart.

bigfoot1942 said:
Mischief007 said:

i did download the updates manually, i ve been saying no to restarts for a day, and instead of not asking anymore it added a countdown timer to the popup. so youre advising something i tried but doesnt work.
;)

Never seen that before. Strange. I know it never asks me. I'll try it and see what happens.

i was downloading off usenet, and the files (parts) were to be removed anytime. I had to reboot, (given up on pressing the delay butten) so about 20% of the parts were already removed from the server. if i didnt have to reboot i might have been able to download all the parts.
now the whole file is lost.

but anyhow, i think its stupid MS forces me to reboot.