MSU researchers create a new engine prototype (w/ video)

I was laughing at that :D "What, a new type of engine has been created, but there was no German involved". And then I checked out the video :p

Was I the only one who'd like to forget the generator part (and the emissions), and put those in one row, just like rotaries, and then use kinetic energy to drive the car? Ten of fifteen 25kW units would produce pretty nice amount of power...

It doesn't look like a type of design that can produce torque at low RPM's. In fact I'd bet it idles over 10,000rpm. The whole concept is very similar to a turbine in my eyes.

/merely speculation

It doesn't look like a type of design that can produce torque at low RPM's. In fact I'd bet it idles over 10,000rpm. The whole concept is very similar to a turbine in my eyes.

/merely speculation

I want a sportscar with one in each wheel!

Part of the reductions in emissions come directly from using a cleaner fuel. The other big part is that the engine only operates at it's peak efficiency, where the fuel is more completely burned while producing it's highest torque. And then there is more yet to be gained because it takes a lot of chemicals and energy to produce gasoline.

Probably took them the last 15 years to make the prototype between all the drinking and riots. </msu stereotypes> If this is actually used in the mass market, it would be great. Better than gimped electric cars.