Concept: Mugen NSX RR Concept

Where do you think the "rice-bred" look gets its inspiration from? :roll:
There is a difference between functionality and pure aesthetics. I wouldn't call a 911 GT3 RS "rice-bred."
Mate, don't even try to make a point here. I wasn't talking about the GT3, you know that perfectly well. We both can see the difference, can't we?

MadCat360 said:
But you don't need or use any of that performance on the road. The argument of "I buy a performance car for the road" is like saying you want a Kia to go racing because "it's simple".
But a Cayman isn't a track car, it's a road car. It's built for comfort and reasonable quickness, not getting around Silverstone as fast as possible.

There is no such thing as a "track car" if it is road legal, it is a road car. But your comment about not "need[ing] or us[ing] any of that performance on the road" can apply to any sports car, in that you can only use its full potential on a race track unless you want to have a run in with la polica or a tree, that is the point I was trying to make. Track cars are Radicals, Lotus 2-Eleven, Ferrari Challenge, Atoms(though some states you can register them, but you get the point), etc...

MadCat360 said:
Fact is we have no idea what the NSX RR will cost and about the rarity of the Super GT cars, most teams in racing build two (or sometimes more) cars with one in reserve. Plus it's very hard to find buyers for race cars; the awareness isn't there. So I bet you'd be able to get one for a bargain. And if it's too much, then build your own. I have absolutely no doubts that you could build an NSX that looks exactly like the Super GT or JGTC cars (maybe not as fast) for as much as the RR will end up being.
You obviously don't understand the nature of Super GT or the race cars.
From Super GT rules for 2008
http://supergt.net/supergt/2008/08regurations/index_e.htm

Newly constructed GT500 class cars to be used for two seasons
Cars participating in the 2007 SUPER GT with newly constructed (new design) chassis must be used for a second consecutive season. If such a car is damaged beyond repair during the course of the season, it can be replaced with a new car on approval from GTA. In the case of such a replacement, the car will start from the last grid position in its class at the first GT after replacement.

Use of replacement cars or spare cars is not permitted.

This is not like Grand-Am cars, Honda, like the other Japanese manufactures, funds their Super GT program. The teams don't build the cars themselves per se, Honda has Dome construct the chassis(which are tube-frame front and rear mated to a passenger compartment w/factory doors), but they build chassis's for all of the Honda teams. Incidentally it is Mugen who supply the engines and the cars are enter under 'Honda Racing,' so they are closer to works cars run by teams approved by the manufacture, much like sport car prototypes eg the Audi R10 in P1 and the Porsche RS Spyders that run in P2. These cars will cost nearly as much as those P2 cars if not more.

Of all the body kits out there for the NSX this the closest I have seen to making a Super GT, but this is just a bodykit and still doesn't do the race car justice. Plus look at the offsets and how far the wheels are from the brakes, they used spacers and it is still not as wide as the Mugen, nor does it have a longitudinal engine or ITBs.
S-GT1.png

Here is a Route KS NSX, as you said in the other post, not as wide not as low, etc, it is a facsimily of the race car.
zero1.jpg

That is why the Mugen could have the potential to be something special. It won't be a mass produced car, but could be along the lines of the CLK-GTR or Porsche GT1 as I mentioned earlier. Those cars maybe useless on the road as are other million dollar sports cars, but I for one am glad they were built, even though I will never be able to own one in my life...well never say never.

MadCat360 said:
You don't need that if all you're looking for is a track toy. A Miata Cup car is about three times more expensive than a Spec Miata car, the only difference being the SM car isn't professionally maintained and might not be in the same tenth as the Cup car around a track, but who cares if you're not going to race it?
No, the difference is that MX-5 Cup cars are 2006+, meaning new and more expensive cars, the Spec Miata are from the years before and can be built by a DIYer for under $10k including the car.

MatCat360 said:
EDIT: Okay you changed your post. Those cars are incredibly over priced corporate TRG cars and you'd be a fool to buy it like that. I've seen KONI cars SOLD (not listed) for 40 grand and that's the end of it. I don't care what the list price is.

EDIT EDIT:

I was browsing the Koni driver offer forums looking for... driver offers, actually. I saw these and thought of you Mr Made:

RX8

2 TSX's

2 BM's

Another RX8

A steal of an SRT-4 (14k! Totally uncompetitive though)

Those are the kind of deals you can get for season-enders. Those cars can also be haggled down a bit and I'm sure you could get further discounts in you sign the crew for 2009.
Every car you have listed there are Street Tuner(ST) class, not one Grand Sport(GS) class, and nowhere near the semi-tube Prep2 GT class. And who said anything about signing up the crew for a track toy. Your argument was why buy the Mugen RR when you could buy the race car instead, and you said that "Super GT cars are about the same as a top-runner Grand Am GT." The reason I post the FIA GT car was to give you an ideal how much GT cars go for. The 911 RSR is the "mass production" race car of the GT class and a used one still cost over $400K USD.

Dogbert said:
How functional is that red interior and Civic steering wheel? How about those dual huge" exhausts on a V6 N/A motor? How much HP does that unpainted carbon fiber add?
Edit: for pics
Ruf CTR3 prototype (with a standard Raid steering wheel mind you)
ruf-ctr3-interior.jpg

Ferrari 430
F430.jpg

2006_ferrari_f430_interior.jpg

Ferrari 599
051620071918061582.jpg

I don't understand why you are dwelling on the colors, especially since forever red and white have been Honda's racing colors. Lambos have the same steering wheels as VWs. Other marks have exposed carbon fiber on their cars, and this car is built by Mugen who also builds the GT engines, which are NA V6 and make 500hp. Mugen hasn't said how much this car has. And the original NSX-R had red seats and carpet, as do other marks, but you know what, as with other marks you could order them with different colors :shock: ...I know, shocking isn't... :roll:

freefall said:
We both can see the difference, can't we?
Please explain...

Last edited:
This is not like Grand-Am cars, Honda, like the other Japanese manufactures, funds their Super GT program. The teams don't build the cars themselves per se, Honda has Dome construct the chassis(which are tube-frame front and rear mated to a passenger compartment w/factory doors), but they build chassis's for all of the Honda teams. Incidentally it is Mugen who supply the engines and the cars are enter under 'Honda Racing,' so they are closer to works cars run by teams approved by the manufacture, much like sport car prototypes eg the Audi R10 in P1 and the Porsche RS Spyders that run in P2. These cars will cost nearly as much as those P2 cars if not more.

Every car you have listed there are Street Tuner(ST) class, not one Grand Sport(GS) class, and nowhere near the semi-tube Prep2 GT class. And who said anything about signing up the crew for a track toy. Your argument was why buy the Mugen RR when you could buy the race car instead, and you said that "Super GT cars are about the same as a top-runner Grand Am GT." The reason I post the FIA GT car was to give you an ideal how much GT cars go for. The 911 RSR is the "mass production" race car of the GT class and a used one still cost over $400K USD.

Who said the had to be replacement cars? Just because they build two doesn't mean they register it as a replacement car. Trust me, there are always at least 2 versions of each car. Test mule, driver training, shows, whatever. Plus the eventuality of totaling a car.

Yes, a used one will cost over 400k USD for an absolutely prime car but you do realize that these expensive cars are completely replaced after the end of the season, right? They are all new parts and the engines are usually rebuilt. They are like-new cars. No one lists cars at that level that hasn't been gone over. If you want a car at a much cheaper price then you call the team before the season is up, tell them to just leave it after the last race and pick it up. I agree, I think my original assessment of 50-80k for a Grand Am car might've been conservative, but I've seen 'em go for that. Not often though.

Last edited:
Have you seen the GT3? Rs in this particular case...

enclosure..ee9ded2

Porsche looks like sex. The NSX looks like a turd driven through an uglyville and crashed into a rice barn.

So taking a 911, using a Carrera 4 body to widen the car, adding new bumpers, and throwing on a rear wing is sexy and "race-bred." But when it is done to a NSX to make a car dimensionally and visually the same as the GT race car, built by a company who have a major hand in Honda's GT racing program (a company that was started by the son of Honda's founder) it is "rice-bred." That kind of logic is baffling :roll:

I never said the car would win a beauty contest, but calling it "rice-bred"...

and that makes corvette a carbonfiber/glassfiber horse cart with V8, no? :rolleyes:

Let me translate that for you; Ferrari and Porsche are European and cool, honed and evolved over time into incredible machines. An NSX with the same stuff is a refrigerator with racecar stickers on it.

Get over it, race cars are ugly and have bits sticking out all over the place. ;)