Must-dos/sees in Ireland?

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
Car(s)
Z4.2
I'll be in Ireland next week, staying in Galway. What would you recommend doing or seeing? Yes, I'll have a car.

Find every embarrassing stereotype that only TV presenters for travel programs seem to find and go find it.

Like for example, I bet they could find a red haired drunk dressed in green dancing a jig around a potato with a pint of Guiness in their hand.

How about also ordering in a loud German voice (this is very important) a pint of Smithwicks, but say as it is spelled, and not how it should be pronounced as "smid-dicks".

I'll be in Ireland next week, staying in Galway. What would you recommend doing or seeing? Yes, I'll have a car.

Good place to visit, lovely country.

a) Have you been before?

b) Are you with Frau Narf (or GF) or are you with bunch of drunken sailors from the yatch squadron? :p

c) What sort of things do you usually like to see when on a touring holiday and how long have you got?

d) Is you hire car a Skoda? :tease:

:think:

(PS Bring waterproof clothing & a golf type big umbrella.)

Last edited:
A small clown umbrella won't do? :p

a) Have you been before?

:no:

b) Are you with Frau Narf (or GF) or are you with bunch of drunken sailors from the yatch squadron? :p

Neither, the entire family (9) is going to see my brother sailing into Galway - due to arrive Monday night ish. That'd be where the drunken sailors come in :lol:

c) What sort of things do you usually like to see when on a touring holiday and how long have you got?

:dunno: anything goes really... and a week, due to land in DUB from HAM Monday around noon and fly out to SXF (not BER :shakefist:) the next Monday in the afternoon.

d) Is you hire car a Skoda? :tease:

:dunno: but unlikely. It'll be a "full-size four-door (e.g. Ford Mondeo)" - we'll see what the rental car lottery provides.

Bring waterproof clothing

Yeah, I figured that much :nod: like Irish and British people, we do know rain :)

a golf type big umbrella

Nah, that's what hotels are for. Also, too much hassle on the plane.

Knowing you you rented with Europacar right? Mondeo it is then :p

I don't know much that far North in Ireland, but just south from Galway are both the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren National park, especially Moher is pretty touristy but worth seeing.....the Burren is one of the strangest places I have ever seen in my life.

And offcourse the area West and North of Galway is Connemara with it's thousands of lakes and inlets, it is consider one of the most beautifull parts of Ireland.....it's on my to do list.

Last edited:
:nod: the Cliffs already are on the list, along with some random landscape-admiring :lol:

As of now I've put in a reservation with Budget since Europcar is quite a bit more expensive. However, I'm in the process of investigating if and how I can use my company Europcar card to get cheaper rates. If that's the case then I might just switch to reduce the risk of hassle.

:no:

Neither, the entire family (9) is going to see my brother sailing into Galway - due to arrive Monday night ish. That'd be where the drunken sailors come in :lol:

OK, so you have not been before and a mixed group.

Ireland is quite small and you can get anywhere pretty quickly. (Apart from the cities, which are like everywhere else with traffic.)

:
:dunno: anything goes really... and a week, due to land in DUB from HAM Monday around noon and fly out to SXF (not BER :shakefist:) the next Monday in the afternoon.

Generally, some of the well known tourist things are worth while and some not, it depends on you & your group taste.

Blarney Castle and "kissing the Blarney stone" I think is rubbish,
but the Book of Kells in Trinity Colllege University Dublin is outstanding to see. Also, I thougt the trip around the Guinness Storehouse Museum was interesting, but your group may not.

Kilarney and then driving the "ring of Kerry" is very nice to see but can be busy/ touristy.

Maybe have a look-see at this on Wiki, List of tourist attractions in Ireland .
Then match up with likes of your family & the dunken sailors and ask them what sounds good.

Pubs with live music can be good, so if you see a sign outside saying C?ilidh (pronounced "kay-lee"), but you have to take pot luck. It may be great or terrible in the pub you are in. (Lots of foot tapping, traditional music and drinking.)

:smile:

Not necessarily. ...

I used to do a lot of renting and got to know the rental office staff very well. ...

I loved the diesel Passat actually. ? Oh and the 307 convertible with the 2.0 Ltr engine in it.

The Europcar car park had a wide variety of brands sitting around. There was no visible preference. Yes, there were Skodas.

It is especially fun in a wide vehicle with oncoming lorries and coaches.

Meh, I have found that groundclearance more then makes up for wideness in such situations :p

Also people tend to make room.......alot :p

Also I'm leaving for Scotland in 7 days, but still 5-6 very busy days of work ahead, I WANT TO FUCKING LEAVE ALREADY!

Last edited:
Meh, I have found that groundclearance more then makes up for wideness in such situations :p

Also people tend to make room.......alot :p

Also I'm leaving for Scotland in 7 days, but still 5-6 very busy days of work ahead, I WANT TO FUCKING LEAVE ALREADY!

Ground clearance loses to stone walls to either side of the road though, same story with sheer drops.