MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
Any high-revving V8s been crammed into a Miata bay, like that Atom V8? Alternately there are some high-revving V6s that might do.

I'd love to swap old Honda B-series, but damn you Honda for not understanding the direction where the engine should run. A friend of mine has a B16 CRX with lots of B18 Type R parts on the cylinder head and everything the engine revs angrily close to 9000rpm I feel a bit sad for the poor B6. F20 from S2000 could work, but it would also require new subframe so that's a huge project too.

On the other news: mmm, torsen. I managed to drive 50m before trying if it works, and it does <3

Any high-revving V8s been crammed into a Miata bay, like that Atom V8? Alternately there are some high-revving V6s that might do.

You can make a SBC/LS1 rev pretty high, like 7k or so, but it'll take damn near cubic dollars to do it. Another option is a 4v Modular, but that may have some fitment issues.

I just re-read an old newspaper column by James May where he fantasizes about an Mazda Romeo - an MX-5 powered by a three-liter Alfa V6.

You can make a SBC/LS1 rev pretty high, like 7k or so, but it'll take damn near cubic dollars to do it.
Not really "cubic dollars" but there is cost, yes. LS2 and LS6 rev to 6k stock; LS7 hits 7k stock.

High revs are more for fun rather than fuction.

Uhh, how so? An F1 or LMP V8 is just for fun??

I'd love to see one with a Bavarian V8. Or V10. I've seen E30s with M5 V10s in them.

Last edited:
Yep, those are some of the engines that I might swap into my Miata :rolleyes:

That's not what you said. You said revs are for fun, not for function. I didn't see anything about Miatas in there.

Are you seriously suggesting that the Miata's 1.6/1.8/2.0 would be better if it had a rev limiter at 4500 instead of 6.5/7k? You're making very little sense.

Last edited:
That's not what you said. You said revs are for fun, not for function. I didn't see anything about Miatas in there.

Are you seriously suggesting that the Miata's 1.6/1.8/2.0 would be better if it had a rev limiter at 4500 instead of 6.5/7k? You're making very little sense.

If it can make peak torque starting from 1800rpms it has potential. I have all sorts of fun in the TDI MKIV golf my roommate has. With a chip and injectors I'd actually like to do that swap.

I do like the idea of the miatabusa MotoIQ is building. It's got the high revs that people want, but since it's got a gear reduction in it to go to the factory Maita trans, it'll drive similar, just with more revs and top end power.

We are discussing small Japanese engines for EC to have in his next car. In a Miata thread. After he mentioned possible wanting a Miata. Yeah, I don't see anything about Miatas either; we are clearly talking about racing engines.

Spectre junior? Is that you?

I think I may have a solution:

It doesn't really rev any higher than most V8's and the torque curve is similar, but because it's a 2 stroke, it sounds like it's revving twice as high! All the sound with none of the drawbacks :)

We are discussing small Japanese engines for EC to have in his next car. In a Miata thread. After he mentioned possible wanting a Miata. Yeah, I don't see anything about Miatas either; we are clearly talking about racing engines.

That doesn't prevent someone from making a statement about the general principles involved either.

Spectre junior? Is that you?

It's just a question. It's not loaded, it's not going to blow up in your face, I'm just trying to understand what you're trying to say.

All I'm trying to say is that high revs does not automatically equal fantastic performance. In a regular street car, high revs are usually more fun than function. An AP1 or an RX8 rev to 9k and yet a Corvette that revs much lower is much much faster. In fact, a chipped diesel truck is probably faster than those two, as well; however, I bet its more fun to rev out an S2000 to 9000rpm than it is a diesel to 3500rpm. That's all.

All I'm trying to say is that high revs does not automatically equal fantastic performance. In a regular street car, high revs are usually more fun than function. An AP1 or an RX8 rev to 9k and yet a Corvette that revs much lower is much much faster. In fact, a chipped diesel truck is probably faster than those two, as well; however, I bet its more fun to rev out an S2000 to 9000rpm than it is a diesel to 3500rpm. That's all.

I don't think that is necessarily true. Smaller engines can offer greater fuel economy for the amount of power they can ultimately make at higher revs. By making the "performance driving" and "save money driving" envelopes more differentiated, you can get better fuel economy. Turbos, for instance, can boost your power output dramatically without taking too much of a hit on economy, but they make the engine more peaky. Oftentimes, simply making the engine produce more power will make it rev higher - reducing friction and weight, for instance. NASCAR V8s are incredibly powerful, and also rev really high. In 20-40 years, the Mustang will have a big V8 that will do 9 or 10k RPM happily; just like how the big racing V8s from 40 years ago only went to 7k, and now the street ones do to.

I'll be getting a fat chunk of money in the near future, so I'm currently looking at a set of coilovers...wondering what to compare. The current ride is way too brutal.

Xida Club Sports are cool, but I don't deserve $2,000 coilovers.

FM Stage 2.5? or the Fat Cats? Most of what they offer will be very decent. Talk to them, tell them your needs and they'll give you the opinion.

What are your current spring rates? Get Fat Cats!
440/300 F and R.

I filled out a form at FCM for a custom suspension, I'll see what they say. And this will be funded by a big announcement in my life (career-wise) to be made at the end of the month...

I've looked at the Flyin' Miata V-MAXX ones, and that would go real well with my FM sway bars.

Last edited: