MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters

Hah, nice!

Elise seats are ridiculously expensive. If you actually track your car, I'd just get some sparcos. Otherwise, stock is fine for the street.

See the following:

I think the problem is that he's too big to fit the car comfortably with stock seats.

Basically. The stock seats are too high for me ? my legs are right underneath the steering wheel, and I can't get my hands through when turning. Sparcos and pretty much all other aftermarket seats only make the situation worse. I need seats that are thinner themselves, and those in the Elise (and Exige) fit the bill perfectly. (I sat in Woolery's car to test the fit and it'll do the trick.)

I wrote an article on the Goddamn Dopest Miata In California.

IMG_9568.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

IMG_9606_0.jpg

IMG_9565.jpg

Every time I see Jeremy's car I cream my jorts a lil'.

Interesting read. Thanks.

Anyone know of decent VCT-enabled Stage 2 cams for NC? Tomei are off the table cause money.

Thanks! Those are from 2011, so quite a lot has changed since that. Hopefully also my photography skills have improved... :)

After many of years of thinking I might... Well... I still might.

A friend of mine has a 1993 Miata that he picked up. The car has been sitting for several years, some without a top. Mileage is unknown, as he wasn't at home when I looked at it and the doors were locked and he was at work. I can tell you that the interior was ripe enough to smell from outside the car. He said it started for him, but he thought he smelled wiring burning, so he shut it off. It does have a little rust in what I believe is the normal spots for a Miata (in the rockers in front of the rear wheels and a small spot behind the left rear wheel). That's the bad news, the good news is he has a new top that goes with the car, tires are like new and it should be about $500.

Obviously it'll need the interior pulled, washed, trashed, redone, replaced or something. The wiring problem I can handle, most likely. The paint will need a good clean and buff. The rust I can deal with later on down the road. I guess the question is, is it worth it?

Plan would be to use it as a driver one day a week and autocross it. I would most likely sell the Focus then and buy a pickup to haul crap for house renovation.

Anyone with an early NA here ever had airbag light troubles? Got in my car after work today to see the airbag light flashing. It'd flash 3 times then stop for maybe 30 seconds, then flash again. Did this for 5 mins. I tried restarting the car a few times but didn't help. Then about 10 mins into my drive home it stopped flashing and didn't come back on. Have been in the air flying home for the holidays non-stop since so haven't had a chance to google it yet. Anyone have an off-the-top-of-your-head explaination? I was really worried the airbag would expload if I hot a pothole or bump on the drive home.

EDIT: Nevermind. 5 seconds of googling got me an explaination. Hopefully it'll be repeatable when I come home next week so I can get an exact blink count to properly diagnose and fix the issue.

EDIT2: Sniped by Spectre. Somehow I'm not surprised :p

Last edited:
MX5/Miata Thread

Something is unplugged or making intermittent contact - triple flash is airbag code 3, open circuit or bad power connection.

Last edited:
The MX5 market has always been weird in Australia.

Are MX5s still doing that thing where their owners will refuse to sell them for less than $5000 no matter what? That seems to be the baseline for MX5 sales, nothing will go below that, and has been for the last five years at least. So a beaten-to-hell 1989 NA with 300,000km will be listed at $5000 while a reasonable condition NB would be only around $1000 more? It's damn weird that the old ones aren't dropping in value, they're being kept artificially inflated by owners who seem to have decided on a price and stuck with it for years. The newer ones keep falling in value but the old ones are staying where they are, it's odd.

Sell the modified parts on a MX5 forum and then list the car without them for $5k-ish then you'll get people clamouring for your underpriced car. How long have you had the car, and what did you buy it for?

Edit: It's stuff like this that confuses me.

Long been a bugbear of mine. I REALLY want to pick up an old shitbox MX5 or MR2 as a toy, but cheapest ones are simply not worth what is being asked. A twenty + year old japanese small car with 200 odd clicks on it is worth 2000 of my money, not a cent more. 5000 is just silly.
I would like to think that others will eventually catch on and stop paying the asking prices.

I would pass.

Why do you say that?

Long been a bugbear of mine. I REALLY want to pick up an old shitbox MX5 or MR2 as a toy, but cheapest ones are simply not worth what is being asked. A twenty + year old japanese small car with 200 odd clicks on it is worth 2000 of my money, not a cent more. 5000 is just silly.
I would like to think that others will eventually catch on and stop paying the asking prices.

That's why the one above has appeal to me. I could hopefully only be into it for about $1,000 in the end.

Can you get the mold/mildew out of there? I would be worried about that being in the ventilation system as well as potential electrical issues.

I would think I could get the smell out. Mostly by removing the carpeting and giving it a good wash and dry. Same with the seats. The car would just need to be inside a bit to get it dried out and then I could clean it up inside and out.