MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
So moist MX-5:s are a thing now?

nA50QXM.jpg

zkC8Zpj.jpg

Hate to double post, but... I bought it. I go to pick it up on Friday and gave $400 for it. Step one will be to take it home and pull the interior out to let it dry. Maybe have it back together in time for the next snow!
You, sir, are madman. I like that.

Long been a bugbear of mine. I REALLY want to pick up an old shitbox MX5 or MR2 as a toy, but cheapest ones are simply not worth what is being asked. A twenty + year old japanese small car with 200 odd clicks on it is worth 2000 of my money, not a cent more. 5000 is just silly.
I would like to think that others will eventually catch on and stop paying the asking prices.

This. I know it's an MX5 but really it's not that special - it's a four cylinder Mazda with very basic equipment and tech produced in the millions. It should be a cheap, fun sports car, but it's just not cheap here. It's why I bought my Clio because for the same price as a very tired MX5 (which I was considering) I got a car that's probably just as fun, much newer, less worn out, faster, safer, more practical and with way more creature comforts.

Honestly, I'd very strongly consider buying one if it was $2000, that's a good price for what you get. $5000 is not.

I agree. I spent quite a lot of time to find one under 3000 euros, which by Finnish standards is about the same as $2000 elsewhere. MX5s must be cheap, otherwise you're afraid of driving them as intended.

There's a 93 that "runs, but badly" for sale near me for $800. 148k miles.

Kinda want.

There's a 93 that "runs, but badly" for sale near me for $800. 148k miles.

Kinda want.

This forum is slowly turning into a collection of barely running sub $1k Miatas.

Also if you do that, you do realize we'll have 3 matching cars?

This forum is slowly turning into a collection of barely running sub $1k Miatas.

Also if you do that, you do realize we'll have 3 matching cars?

If I buy it, we need to find a way to get all 6 in the same place at the same time.

So, this is a quote I got from a reputable Miata engine builder in the area (which built Edmunds' Project Miata with a 2.1-liter bore and Rotrax supercharger). To take a junkyard motor, and rebuild it completely, will cost about $4,000.

Core $400.00
Tear down and inspect $130.00
Engine assembling $1020.00
Hot tank block and head
Crack test
Balance crankshaft
Polish crank
Polish cams
Surface block & head
Bore/hone block
Valve job
Re-face stock valves
Re-paint block
New OEM Mazda gaskets, O-ring & seals
ACL Engine bearings
New Water pump
New Melling oil pump
New timing belt and Idlers
New Wiesco pistons
New Manley rods
New Valve springs (stock replacement)

Talked him down to $2,500 with mostly OEM parts. Will have to circle back and see what else he had in mind for that price, but for now, I'm slightly closer to a resolution. :)