MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
OK so the MX5 has become a bit of an FG meme, but I'm curious to find out how many happy Miata owners are "out and proud" here and also to get an idea of their prevalence.

Not requesting proof but if you fancy like sharing what drove you to get one in the first place and why you like yours then feel free.

Well I admit I haven't driven one but Miatas/MX-5s do absolutely nothing for me :dunno: Perhaps the way they drive is enough to fall in love with them so I guess I will reserve final judgement until the day I get to drive one.

Miatas are for faggetz.

The Miata originally popped into my head because its a lightweight RWD car. Then I went to a few autocrosses and realized that they kick butt there. Then I did more and more research and decided that I really like them a lot. Then I drove one and that basically sealed the deal. In a matter of about a year I went from "why would I want this little girls car" to "omfg I need this in my life". I've wanted one ever since. Finally got my NB this weekend :D They are ridiculously fun and emotionally appealing cars. If you've never drive one, do it. Really.

btw, I picked an NB because its newer/fresher and therefore has lower mileage (typically). Its also stiffer, has a much better interior, yet drives the same as an NA and weighs only a little more. Honestly, you cant go wrong with any model.

Last edited:
I daily drive a 1996 NA 5 speed. Why In the world someone would buy a honda civic over this for "reliable wappanise car" commuting, i have no idea.

I voted NB but I've owned both a 97 and now a 2002. I loved my 97 I got it back in 2006 with 30,000 miles on it, I very quickly ditched the stock suspension for a set of Koni's with Flyin Miata springs, Flyin Miata front and rear sway bars and a catback. The car was a go kart and I loved it, and if things would of turned out a bit differently I would of drove it until it until the wheels fell off. The car almost had 70,000 miles on it when it was totaled in an accident, I wanted to buy it back and fix it up by my wife didn't want it to sit in the garage while I fixed it, I should of ignored her bitching and just bought it back. :(

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

I replaced it with a 2002 SE, so far it is bone stock except for some cosmetic mods on the interior.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

The 02 had 53,000 miles on it when we got it, it is still a lot of fun to drive, it has ABS and cruise control and a LSD (which the 97 didn't have) overall it rides better but I'm not in love with the car yet for some reason.

Currently drives: something else that I'd be sad if I broke.

I need a cheapo pinata to break. :/

I replaced it with a 2002 SE, so far it is bone stock except for some cosmetic mods on the interior.

IMG_0011.jpg

The 02 had 53,000 miles on it when we got it, it is still a lot of fun to drive, it has ABS and cruise control and a LSD (which the 97 didn't have) overall it rides better but I'm not in love with the car yet for some reason.
I very nearly bought the exact same car. 02 SE, same color, 56k mile I think :lol:

I'm happy with my alternative :D. Granted, I haven't actually driven a Miata yet, so who knows what may change in the future.

I very nearly bought the exact same car. 02 SE, same color, 56k mile I think :lol:

That would of made 3 of us on the forum with 02 SE's.

Yeah, doing the hairdressing stuff almost every day :p
small

I drove NA 115hv in the 2010 summer and liked it really much, even though it was really really soft (some bad comfort suspension mods probably, so even softer than stock NA), but you could still see why so many praise the car. Then after moving to Germany I started to search for one. Finally I found a bit worn looking NA with totally faultless drivetrain and body underneath small dents and scratches, and now I'm blown away by the amount of fun you can get from an MX-5. It's fun to drive in town and on local B-roads, but then when you really start to work with it, it really comes alive. Nothings better than provoking the car a bit when braking, then balancing the car with a throttle through the corner before arriving to the next straight with a hint of oversteer. All that without ridiculous speeds and super wide lanes. Oh, did I mention the gearchange?

I know there are much better cars around, but if you want a really fun tool to learn RWD driving, you can't go wrong with the MX-5.

What do all you Miata fans think of forced induction? I've been reading a few articles. Some people like it, some don't.

I'll be honest, I've never driven one. Although I think they are neat little cars, I just couldn't see myself ever owning one.

What do all you Miata fans think of forced induction? I've been reading a few articles. Some people like it, some don't.
boost is awesome and miatas accept FI without any issues. 200whp is easy; more is possible but needs more work obv. I say if you want over 250whp or so, just get an LSx, but that's just me

Evo Magazine drove BBR MX-5, so a bolt-on turbo, new suspension, wheels, LSD and some other small stuff which was about ?4000 without LSD and ?5000 with one, so pretty expensive, but they did love it. I found a short version of the text from Octane website. I don't have to money, but it is pretty tempting, if it keeps the naturally asprirated charasteristics, so you don't lose any control. Big "VTEC just kicked in y0!" style turbo would ruin the car's basic idea.

Last edited:
Evo Magazine drove BBR MX-5, so a bolt-on turbo, new suspension, wheels, LSD and some other small stuff which was about ?4000 without LSD and ?5000 with one, so pretty expensive, but they did love it. I found a short version of the text from Octane website. I don't have to money, but it is pretty tempting, if it keeps the nationally asprirated charasteristics, so you don't lose any control. Big "VTEC just kicked in y0!" style turbo would ruin the car's basic idea.

That is from the February issue correct? I have yet to read it but I skimmed over the articles briefly. What's also cool is BBR offers refurbished turn key models as well.

January I think, so issue 153.

The refurbished models are great idea indeed. You get all the good things from turbo charger NA and the realiability of a new car with quite affordable price. Sure you can build your own faster NA MX-5 for much cheaper, but there are lots of people who gladly pay a bit more to get the ready package. I hope they'll have a great succes.

I drove an NC briefly, and absolutely loved it. It was basically my car with the photocopier on 75%. It didn't feel underpowered, it didn't feel soft, even with the automatic. I'd have to take it up on the highway to be sure but I really, really liked it.

All that said, I really, really like my car as well, and it's just that tiny bit more practical.