MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
Quick, someone help me find subframe bracing for the rear end that will work on a 90 chassis. My chassis lacks the provisions (and the factory bracing) for it that 93+ cars do.

Dammit, selected the wrong voting option...

I will have an NA soon enough though.

Something else - but I'd have an 1800 new model as a week end car any time - can't afford one. Or possibly a Scooby. ... again I can not afford one. (Waits for the kids to leave home. ...)...

Hey, you just asked for rear bracing! I've never owned a '90, and I never got around to adding chassis stiffening on my '94 (though those experiences, apparently, would have been irrelevant to you anyway).

Have you checked 949 racing, goodwin, etc.?

yep,yep and yep. My problem is the 90 lacks the provisions the 94+ cars have. A lot of the rear bracing that does fit on my car seems to get a lot of crap reviews.

What about flyin' miata? They do bracings as well that fit the early NAs just fine.

I already have the ones worth having. I want a good brace that ties the rear sub frame to the PPF brace/front diff mount.

In other news, tossed in my Polyurethane bushings, new ball joints, tie rod ends, camber bolts and torsen LSD with fresh axles. Oh good god is the car so much nicer to drive. It's amazing what the LSD does for car control (something I learned with the my e30 after its swap).

Here's the inside of "my" (Ed Railton's) Miata with me driving and passing cars with 3x the horsepower (Mangusta, Mustang, and catching the Porsche 930):

Oh, and no, I'm not a bad shifter, I have no synchro in 3rd. And the stupid GoPro made it impossible for you to see out the windows, so sorry about that.

Last edited:
{ envy }

I liked the "o hai!" wave at the end.

I really wish to drive a Miata. I also want to buy one as a second car.

...But I can't do that till I finish grad school.

...In 6 years.

...Damn.

Sell your Civic, buy a beater and a Miata. Problem solved.

I need a racing seat (2, because I hate the look of just 1) for my NA so I can run some proper 5 point harnesses at the track.

I see the attractiveness of the Miata from a track/occasional DD perspective in terms of driving experience, but if you're only able to own/drive one vehicle as a pure DD/weekend warrior, then in terms of everyday practicality it drops a bit. Cons include:

lack of space - OK you're driving a 2-seater miata so it's not gonna be huge, but it's still nice to have a bit of extra room to spare once in awhile.

road conditions - It can definitely handle asphalt up there with the best at a tiny fraction of the cost, but is it capable/adequate for more extreme weather/road conditions? ie. would it feel comfortable for for a short ski trip up the mountains?

Taking these into account, I think a hatchback like an Impreza (also comes with 4wd) would be more practical overall, get comparable fuel mileage, while still being a good track toy when you need it to be.

Last edited:
So you're saying that for those of us who maybe don't ski and aren't myopic, judgmental pricks, the MX-5 is a great daily driver.

Might as well get a Transit. Clearly it can go 'round the track, too, and it's so much more practical than an Impreza!

Um, I'm missing the judgemental prick part. All I see is someone with an opinion that there exists a car that is more things for more people than the Miata.....

The "judgmental prick" part comes in with things like, "but if you're only able to own/drive one vehicle as a pure DD/weekend warrior, then in terms of everyday practicality it drops a bit." It doesn't necessarily. Claiming it does is making judgments that aren't necessarily true for everyone else. The "judgmental prick" part also comes with making a recommendation of a car that's extremely different from the MX-5, as though it were a suitable replacement. And it comes from doing this within a thread about the MX-5 for MX-5 owners.

If you have genuine questions about the capabilities of the car, ask them! Owners love answering questions like that. But there's no need to recommend another car, no need to claim it's not practical as a daily driver. There's no need to rain on our parade, especially with our convertibles.

Last edited:
So you're saying that for those of us who maybe don't ski and aren't myopic, judgmental pricks, the MX-5 is a great daily driver.

Might as well get a Transit. Clearly it can go 'round the track, too, and it's so much more practical than an Impreza!

I'm sorry was it something I said? The internet medium doesn't exactly translate speech subtlety well.

I never said the Miata was a bad DD, I don't own one but what I've seen/heard on here, online, and in the real world, it's one of the ultimate balances of cheap to own/drive, driving finesse, weight distribution, fuel economy, etc.

/EDIT/
After reading your 2nd post that wasn't visible beforehand, I apologize if (a) I came off as judgmental/pricky (which was not the intent) and (b) raining on what seems to be a strictly Miata love-parade thread (which I didn't realize).

It was only to suggest, in my view, that while it is obviously far from just some pure track toy it stereotypically is made out, the Miata seems limited in certain regards, where I would hesitate to commit to if you're looking to just own one vehicle and want a bit more in terms of utility/efficacy (in which a hatchback might serve better while still being a capable track car).

It all comes down to balances and needs, and while I love the Miata for what it is and what its capable of doing for the cost, there's just several expenditures (ie. taking it up a slightly icy mtn) that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing (unless you can point me to otherwise).

Last edited:
Yes. It was something you said. You're still showing an attitude that frankly, is annoying. Why would I need to show you "proof" of anything? I have no need to convince you you should drive an MX-5. If you want one, get one! If you don't want one, don't. If you'd like one, but are concerned that it's not a good fit for you, then ask the relevant questions, and if someone has the answers, they will answer.

The MX-5 makes a great daily driver for my mother, who has driven on a track once, and has no desire to do so again. The MX-5 carries everything she needs it to carry (and it carries a lot more than many people realize). It's fun to drive, on the street (at least when you're in Austin and have fun roads to drive regularly). It's relatively efficient (it's not great, but few cars are as much fun, convertible, and offer better fuel mileage). It's also reliable and durable.

The MX-5 is great for my needs, too. My needs are not that different from my mother's. Rather than having fun roads to drive where I live (I miss Austin), I track regularly. As a result of my track time, sometimes I need to carry more than the car holds. But the car can tow a trailer. When I want to bring a set of race tires, I put them on the trailer and hook it up. The car handles this well. I've also used the trailer to carry significantly more cargo than the MX-5 can hold without the trailer.

As to the car's ability to handle snow and ice, generally, the car's great handling balance mean poor surfaces aren't much of a problem. While grip may be low, the good balance and the good feedback means the driver can still maintain control. It's not difficult to drive in low traction situations. However, the car's clearance is very low. It's poor on dirt roads that have significant ruts - it can't clear the center hump and must put one tire on the hump and one on the side of the road. It's poor in unplowed snow for the same basic reason - it doesn't clear the snow. If you need to drive on ice and plowed snow regularly, winter tires are a must. Anything you can do to increase grip on a car with two drive wheels, instead of four, especially when it's relatively lightweight, is a good thing. If you need to drive on unplowed snow, or if you're somewhere with nasty winter weather, it's not a good only car.

But for a single adult who doesn't have to deal with regular snowstorms or other additional considerations, it's great.

Taking these into account, I think a hatchback like an Impreza (also comes with 4wd) would be more practical overall, get comparable fuel mileage, while still being a good track toy when you need it to be.

Having owned an Impreza, they don't get decent mileage unless you drive them like a granny and they understeer like the dickens.