MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
From what I understand, he wasn't saying the MX-5 was a bad car, just that it doesn't suit his or a lot of peoples needs. I don't think he was being a prick, he was pointing out that not everyone can live with a 2 seat convertible as their only car. I couldn't, I need back seats, which is why I bought a hot hatchback.

He wasn't saying it wasn't good for your needs, just that it doesn't suit his or many other peoples. Sorry if I come off as a prick, I'm just trying to defend the guy who didn't say anything wrong in my mind. Calling him a "judgemental prick" just because he said a car doesn't suit his needs is quite harsh IMO.

I don't want to get into an 'argument mode', and I do appreciate what Backdraft's intention is, in which he's offering an alternative car that's more versatile and more all-rounded.

However, Backdraft, you seem to miss the point that we've definitely considered these points before choosing to buy an MX5, but still bought it. Each person has their own priorities/uses/images of what a car should be. And for us MX-5 drivers, well at least for me, I don't really care about carrying capacity or off road capabilities or extra passenger seats. Maybe I don't want to have passengers in the back and play "Taxi Driver", maybe I prefer to stick to asphalt, and as an international university student living alone, I don't see myself needing to haul a lot of stuff.

Instead of seeing what the MX-5 isn't/can't do, I love to see what the MX-5 is: A cheap, fun, easy to maintain sports convertible that's well built and super cute! You are more than welcome to join us (please do!) but please don't convince us that our car is inferior based on rigid 'marketing' factors that the MX-5 wasn't designed to fulfill in the first place :)

Last edited:
Hbriz, the language Backdraft chose to use was harsh. The language you chose to use was not. I chose to respond to a post with harsh language with harsh language of my own. He also wasn't saying the car wasn't good for his needs, but rather making an overall judgments. Backdraft's version of his second post, before his edit, was also rather different than it is now. The "small" text is not an accurate representation of what that post was when I composed my response. Backdraft has backed off significantly from the harsh language. There's no need to dig those things back up, though.

Backdraft, thank you for the apology, and for understanding why I would be defensive in a thread like this. I apologize for my rude implications.

I don't think his language was harsh at all. I think he came in and stated his opinion in a polite conversational tone.

*ducks*

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure I could use the Miata as an only car. Now when the weather here is getting nice, I'm using it as my DD and I've really good fun. But when I've to do a longer trip on the autobahn involving constant 130-160km/h speeds for long periods of time, I just put the MX-5 to garage and use the 406. The Mazda could surely do those trips, but even with hard top it's getting a bit uncomfortable after 130km/h.

But then, the whole reason I bought the MX-5 was, that I didn't have enough money to change the 406 to something which is comfortable but also as fun as a sportscar when it has to be. I don't know if such a car exist, but modern 911 would've been good compromise and probably the E46 M3 as well. But you know, they do cost a bit more than '96 french sedan and '93 MX-5? Actually, almost all non-beater cars cost more than those two together.

One nice thing about the Miata vs. the MR2 is the placement of the exhaust. I brought my car to a local muffler shop to get the stock beast swapped out for a Borla can, and the guy took one look at the way the system is tucked behind the bumper and refused to do it. The more straightforward layout of the Miata would have been much easier.

Here's a question for the MX5 owners. I've noticed that the way to minimise wind buffeting with the roof down, particularly at highway speeds, is to keep the passenger side window up but the driver's one down.

Naturally this is at odds with my :may:-style need for symmetry and order but it works.

Has anyone else noticed this, and does it apply to NAs and NCs too?

Here's a question for the MX5 owners. I've noticed that the way to minimise wind buffeting with the roof down, particularly at highway speeds, is to keep the passenger side window up but the driver's one down.

Naturally this is at odds with my :may:-style need for symmetry and order but it works.

It applies to the NAs, as well, and is often suggested on the miata.net forum. It doesn't apply to the NC. The aerodynamics were significantly changed in the NC, and the NC comes with a tiny, tiny wind blocker. That tiny wind blocker actually has a real impact, and for someone my height, I'm able to maintain warm or cool air in the NC, even if it's cold or hot outside and the top's down.

Other impacts of this aerodynamic change mean the NA/NB can drive at a slower speed in rain while staying dry. The NC has to move a bit faster, and even then, a touch of water will roll over the top of the windows.

Thanks, equi.

And with regards to the rain issue, depends how heavy the rain too. I got caught in a summer cloudburst on the way home one day last year and I wouldn't have stayed dry even at warp speed! The guy in the Audi RS4 behind was clearly finding it hilarious, especially as there was nowhere to pull over for about 3 miles!

I don't have one, but I have nearly purchased a miata twice and I am coming to regret buying the bigger, thirstier rx-8. Late summer I will probably be selling the 8 to get rid of car payments and I am hoping to buy an na (the wife-to-be wants a del sol instead)

I have been known to use my back seats, otherwise I think I'd prefer a Miata as well (NC). I guess my car is also more comfortable for longer drives.

That's how I normally drive since the stock NB wind blocker is almost worthless. I have an aftermarket one from my old NA but I haven't gotten around to putting it on.

Reactions: MWF

By keeping the passenger window up you give space for air to recirculate. With both open the buffeting would be larger. That said, I wonder if it's the same if the driver's window was up and passenger down?

And, how many of you raise the roof after you park the car, say, to go to do your groceries? I don't even bother

wind? blockers? buffeting? I've had exactly zero issues with wind buffeting and I haven't even looked at the windblocker that I got with the car (not that it would even fit now that I have a rollbar). MAN UP! :p

As per raising the roof: I've been wondering about this also. Sometimes I leave it, sometimes I put it up. Depends on the weather, neighborhood, where the car is parked, how long I'll be gone for, etc

Last edited:
And, how many of you raise the roof after you park the car, say, to go to do your groceries? I don't even bother

I'm guessing non-Miata convertible owners can answer this too :p. Last summer I left it top down most days at work, except on rainy days. I got caught out once by a light shower but I think I got away with it.

Luckily here in Adelaide it rarely rains, so it's not as bad.

(the wife-to-be wants a del sol instead)

Dump her. She will be nothing but trouble if she wants something that horrible over something as glorious as a Miata.

By keeping the passenger window up you give space for air to recirculate. With both open the buffeting would be larger. That said, I wonder if it's the same if the driver's window was up and passenger down?
Better for the passenger, worse for the driver, has been my experience.

I generally lean the top up if the weather is good. This blocks leaves, sun, etc. to some extent. If I'm concerned about rain or wind, I put it all the way up. If I'm concerned about security, it's up, locked, with alarm on. The alarm won't alert about a cut top or anything like that, but that's what insurance is for. The alarm will alert if someone tries to open or unlock a door without a key or if someone tries to do something with the ignition. It won't alert for vibrations, motion sensitivity, etc. (I've tested this).

We once left the top down on Nugget's roadster on a nice, but cloudy, day as we went to the grocery store. We came back to a thunderstorm and a few inches of water in the car. Whoops. The car dried out fine, though.