MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
Until I see an official press release from Mazda on the ND, I'm ignoring every damn thing I read, hear, or see on the car.
Everything has been speculation.

But you don't know the fact that it'll be made of feathers. FEATHERS!!!!

The original Miata had an engine that was almost that small (1.6) and had much less power, I see no downside to this.
When you're talking about engines that size, those 300mL make a big difference. In small cars that much can be the difference between a run-of-the-mill shopping car and a hot hatch.

Not that it matters in this case since the engine is turbocharged, which is simply the way petrol engines are going so no surprises there really.

3 people at my work have MX5's from the 90's. Really makes me want one cause i know it just screams FUN!!!

Aye! Extremely fun! Though you will have to sacrifice a lot of NVH comforts for the early NA models

Cross-post from my Miata thread: I replaced my engine mounts today with Mazdaspeed units and the results are quite dramatic. Shifts are noticeable smoother and easier now. WOT to redline in 1st, going into 2nd, has always been particularly difficult where I had to be very smooth, not too fast, and careful with it to be smooth. Now it just snicks right in and I'm off. Driving just became that much more fun! Highly recommended for you fellow Miata drivers!

Stiffer engine mounts help both manuals in the NC, as well, but do result in more vibration on the road. The 5MT's transmission will flex just a bit as the engine twists, and the 6MT can get an alignment issue on the 3/4 shifter fork (and any twisting from the engine will make it worse). The only time I've had any troubles in my 6-speed was trying to do a 3 -> 4 shift while making a right turn with significant cornering force. I prefer the smoother feel, for now, since it's only a problem in one corner on one track. :)

I replaced worn OEM mounts with new similar items and I didn't notice much difference, but there weren't any shifting problems before either. Still I've been regretting the decision a bit.

On the other news: I've had at torsen diff for a month now. Bad news: it's still not installed. I just haven't had any time and last weekend the totally stuck drive shaft nuts just drove my motivation away. Now I've a week free so I really have to get it done.

There is no reason to not put in the Mazdacomp mounts. I don't know why the factory din't just use them from the beginning. They aren't harsh or uncomfortable at all.

I still cant figure out if Mazdaspeed mounts are the same as the comp ones. In fact, reviews for my Mazdaspeed mounts also called them comps so idk.
They are. They are ordered from Mazdacomp, IIRC they are called Mazdaspeed mounts.

Chris Harris about the Miata. He explained everything pretty well, but I would've wanted to see him also trying out one with non-stock suspension. Maybe not any hard core track car, but something with fresh set of quality shocks and springs.

Just came here to post that. On your point, Chris upfront said he was getting at the stock Miata, and for good reason. Any car can be modified into a good sportscar. That quality doesn't make a stock car a good sports car.

Nonetheless, I have found my experiences driving Miatas to be fun, though I don't think it's quite a car for me.

Well that was a waste of 10 minutes. I have no clue who he is but fuck him.

Do you live under a rock?

Never heard of him but I could give two craps about a guy who disagrees with pretty much every other automotive journalist.

I watched a few other reviews of the guy and he just seems like a massive douche.

Last edited:
Any car can be modified into a good sportscar. That quality doesn't make a stock car a good sports car.
I disagree. Any car can be modified to become faster but that does not necessarily make it a sports car. My old roommate's stage II WRX (with suspension, good tires, etc) was much faster than my Miata and yet I found the former quite boring to drive. Also I can't believe Chris Harris would rather have a FWD French hatchback :lol: