MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
Does anybody here have an aftermarket steering wheel on their car? If so, could you help me out?

D37mDVj.jpg

That hub/boss looks HUGE. As for your question, I'd just start shorting/grounding things together until the horn went off and you have your answer.

What could go wrong?

/Still need to connect
//momo button in peugeot
/ Bang! Smokescreen to go?

I need new tires on my car. Anybody know anything about Dunlop Direzza DZ101s? They seem to be dirt cheap.

I have Star Spec Z1s on my car. I may get ZIIs or RE11s next.

Was looking at tires today to replace the Yokohoma YK520s that came on my Miata. The Direzzas seem really pricey. Anyone know anything about the Kumho Powermax line? Those seemed very fairly priced.

Theres also a deal going on right now for Michelin X-Ices for $58/corner. Thats a bit of a nice change compared to the prices for the 245/45/19s I need for the Mustang.

Last edited:
DZ101s are supposed to be crap compared to the Star Specs, according to Tire Rack. Try the Yokohama S. Drive if they have it in your size, assuming you want a good all-round daily commuter tire that isn't crap that can occasionally duke it out on an auto-X course. Not the grippiest tire out there, but it's a good compromise.

Last edited:
I've had DZ101s on my Miata. They are crap. Horrible feel, horrible feedback, low grip, overheat at the drop of a hat, didn't grip in wet... If your goal is "bowling ball tires that'll last years," they're the kind of tire to look at. If you want tires that actually work on and with a Miata, though, look elsewhere.

DZ101s are supposed to be crap compared to the Star Specs, according to Tire Rack. Try the Yokohama S. Drive if they have it in your size, assuming you want a good all-round daily commuter tire that isn't crap that can occasionally duke it out on an auto-X course. Not the grippiest tire out there, but it's a good compromise.

I think I had S.Drives on my car at one point, but I don't remember. I have Star Spec Z1s on my car right now. Thanks for the update, equipraptor - one of the 949 Racing guys has 'em as his daily driver. He says it handles "ok."

When I bought the car, it came with 225 Hankook RS3s on 15x8 Rotas. I still have the wheels. Lots of people agreed that it was too much tire for the car.

Right now, I have 15x8 Rotas on a slightly stretched 205 tire. I'm thinking of selling my wheels, getting 15x7 Chapparals, and using 205 tires the way they were meant to be used. I assume steering feel will be slightly improved, and I'm looking for the car to be "tossable." I've never driven 15x7 with 205s, thoughts?

Last edited:
I've 15x7s with 205 wide Yokohama AD08s and I'm really happy. Tossable isn't a word I would use because the AD08s generate pretty nice amounts of grip, but the car is good to drive on streets and excellent on a track. I would imagine a bit less grippy 205 tires would work pretty well.

I find Miatas quite tossable on high-grip tires, so long as the tires aren't too wide. I also really appreciate the feel & feedback of the grippier tires, and on the street the braking distance is fantastic. But perhaps that's because I'm a bit of a hoon. If you find high grip tires, even skinny ones, harm the tossability for you, the S.drives are probably a good compromise.

I find Miatas quite tossable on high-grip tires, so long as the tires aren't too wide. I also really appreciate the feel & feedback of the grippier tires, and on the street the braking distance is fantastic. But perhaps that's because I'm a bit of a hoon. If you find high grip tires, even skinny ones, harm the tossability for you, the S.drives are probably a good compromise.

What's "too wide" for you then? 225?

And what's the stock size on NCs? I believe NBs came with 185 widths, with Sport packages getting 195s.

205 is as wide as I'd go on an NA or NB, unless autocrossing (everything's different there). My preference is for less weight and less width to make it feel more tossable, rather than going down in tire compound.

Stock on the NC is 205 (in either the 16s or 17s). On OEM power, wider than 225 starts to slow down the car if any speed is involved - at autocross, the car will happily use 285, even 295 if you can get them under it, but on the track those just have too much drag. You either need a lot more power or lower speeds for the width to be an advantage instead of a disadvantage.

I don't autocross, I mostly bum around canyon roads or do track days. Different disciplines, different philosophies.

A couple from a photoshoot last weekend involving my car (red) and an SP (special edition of 100 in Australia in 2002 putting out over 210hp from factory). This shoot was for the MX5 club magazine.

mx5nb-2-800x864.jpg

8729285515_f51c4ca0a4_c.jpg

8730484190_22dc93d916_c.jpg

mx5nb-5-800x532.jpg

mx5nb-6-800x532.jpg

Thanks to BlaRo for this shot

Taken from the passenger seat of an Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo

Got my first car yesterday, and it's a 2.0 PRHT NC with a manual. Couldn't be happier! Feeling a bit stupid for considering other cars, although it's a bit too early to jump to conclusions, me thinks. Or is it ;)

Got my first car yesterday, and it's a 2.0 PRHT NC with a manual. Couldn't be happier! Feeling a bit stupid for considering other cars, although it's a bit too early to jump to conclusions, me thinks. Or is it ;)

I demand a PYC!

Tomorrow I shall autocross my 02 for the first time. My g/f will be going along as well and she'll be driving the car as well but this will be her first autocross.

I'm driving a PRHT right now. It's nice. It looks a bit gawky with the top up, but that can be solved easily ;) And I can guarantee you that no matter how often traffic seems to stop on a freeway construction zone, you will look like a right berk if you try to put the top up at the exact second traffic starts moving again.

My sister recently picked up a new Mazda MX-5 GT. 6MT, limited slip.... etc.

I finally get what all you crazies have been going on about. I took it for a good spin today and HOLY CRAP! I felt like I was driving a race car! It was so much fun, and I *didn't* even break the speed limit. Much.

That being said, I am used to driving a Jeep on 35" mud tires, so even my mum's volvo feels sporty.

I'm still not sure I'd ever buy one, but damn, what a fun little car.