MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
Not much. Part it out and you'll get a nit more in total.

Congrats on the baby.

The MX5 market has always been weird in Australia.

Are MX5s still doing that thing where their owners will refuse to sell them for less than $5000 no matter what? That seems to be the baseline for MX5 sales, nothing will go below that, and has been for the last five years at least. So a beaten-to-hell 1989 NA with 300,000km will be listed at $5000 while a reasonable condition NB would be only around $1000 more? It's damn weird that the old ones aren't dropping in value, they're being kept artificially inflated by owners who seem to have decided on a price and stuck with it for years. The newer ones keep falling in value but the old ones are staying where they are, it's odd.

Sell the modified parts on a MX5 forum and then list the car without them for $5k-ish then you'll get people clamouring for your underpriced car. How long have you had the car, and what did you buy it for?

Edit: It's stuff like this that confuses me.

Last edited:
I got it in late 2009 and for $8,000.

Looking at others on there, $6000 would be a low price for a well kept stock NA. Only $2000 depreciation over 5 years is pretty amazing, I'd be happy with that!

*sigh* I thought the NAs didn't have any lower to go price-wise..

Than $8000? In my opinion the worse-kept examples these days really should be closer to $3000 considering what else you can get for that money, maybe less. They're one of those cars that holds value abnormally well. Only once cars get to $2000 is there really no further to fall, don't fool yourself :p

I'm having impure thoughts that may or may not involve taking my Miata to CarMax for a quote...

Dramatization aside, I'm more and more tired of how tightly I fit, and how impossible it is for me to drive the car safely. I can't keep my hands on the steering wheel when turning because I bump into my legs, which makes for some interesting situations. My legs are constantly bent in a less than ideal manner just to be able to use the pedals properly, and every time I left off the clutch, brake, or accelerator, I hit the bottom steering wheel. It's a hoot to drive, but a drag much more often than not.

I was trying to explain my dilemma to a friend, and I came up with this:

I love it as a toy, but I don't love it as a tool. And while I know I care about the former, I may have misjudged how much I care about the latter.

Not in a particular rush to change things (if for no other reason then because weddings ain't cheap), but I might part ways with the car sooner than I thought.

I'm having impure thoughts that may or may not involve taking my Miata to CarMax for a quote...

Dramatization aside, I'm more and more tired of how tightly I fit, and how impossible it is for me to drive the car safely. I can't keep my hands on the steering wheel when turning because I bump into my legs, which makes for some interesting situations. My legs are constantly bent in a less than ideal manner just to be able to use the pedals properly, and every time I left off the clutch, brake, or accelerator, I hit the bottom steering wheel. It's a hoot to drive, but a drag much more often than not.

I was trying to explain my dilemma to a friend, and I came up with this:

Not in a particular rush to change things (if for no other reason then because weddings ain't cheap), but I might part ways with the car sooner than I thought.

I know a lady who might want to buy it. :lol:

Just when you thought Miatas had shaken off that stereotype, up comes this ad. Apart from the ultra-loud color it actually looks pretty nice.

I have really high hopes for the next-gen MX-5. A pity that it'll be two years or so until the first used ones will be available (and still expensive)...

Well, that didn't last too long ? drove my car a few times recently and decided to keep it. :D

After the wedding I'll be able to save up for the Elise seats, and will start seriously hunting ASAP. Past that...well, I can't imagine I'll ever have as cheap of a toy that's as much fun.

I've been cycling and taking the bus to work since the beginning of August, driving only a handful of times in the last few months. In November I'm going back to driving to work since it's getting dark earlier and earlier in the afternoon, and the stupid DST is gonna' make it even worse. This is LA ? I'm not comfortable commuting on a bicycle at dusk and in the dark. With this return to daily driving, I plan on taking more fun drives, too. I work in Santa Monica, next to some rather nice roads, and will try to eat dinner here after work and head out for a drive afterwards. Maybe I can even convince BlaRo to join me, with whatever press car he has at that time or even his motorcycle.

A parked Miata is no fun. ;)

tock is fine for the street.
I think the problem is that he's too big to fit the car comfortably with stock seats.