MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
Why are they all red?

Make an exciting car? Lets paint them all the same boring shade of red.

Where are all the Mariner Blues? The Sunburst Yellows? The Splash Greens? Common Mazda!

Why are they all red?
Yeah. In the online configurator, you have like black, silver, three shades of white, red and blue. Most will be sold in red, I bet - and that's make it boring. I'll have to see the other colours in person, but from pictures, it looks best by far.

Grassroots Motorsports had a great shootout in their last issue between a ND and mildly prepped NC. ND won. They were pretty damned impressed with it.

Makes me think I might go miata shopping in a few years. :lol:

Grassroots Motorsports had a great shootout in their last issue between a ND and mildly prepped NC. ND won. They were pretty damned impressed with it.

Makes me think I might go miata shopping in a few years. :lol:

Really?
Link?

Where are all the Mariner Blues? The Sunburst Yellows? The Splash Greens? Common Mazda!

Mazda did roll out different colours for different years before, and I'd believe that would be the case for the ND as well.

Really?
Link?
Sorry bud, I read it in the magazine. Think you'd have to get a digital subscription to see it online.

Mazda did roll out different colours for different years before, and I'd believe that would be the case for the ND as well.
Lets hope so. That's a gorgeous shade of red though.

Sorry bud, I read it in the magazine. Think you'd have to get a digital subscription to see it online.

Lets hope so. That's a gorgeous shade of red though.

Sorry, force of habit. :lol:

I am impressed. I would expect the ND to be a slight improvement over the NC, so in my mind a mildy prepped NC should be able to beat it.

Ugh, the blue of my 3 is only available on the GT trim of the ND. :mad: I don't really need the fancy stuff, though it's only $1500 extra and adaptive headlights are nice...

Having had literally the same mentality and then frozen speechless at the insanity of the situation, I can't take you seriously unless you've actually owned up to your words.

I did once spot, follow and stop for a talk at the hard shoulder someone who did a hit and run at the parking area (recognized him the other day by number plates reported by a witness of the hit and run, in a 20 mil city, what are the chances of that). The damage was minimal, but it was a matter of principle that I wouldn't let the chap just drive away like nothing happened. Basically I caught up with him, aligned side-by side, and indicated that I wanted to talk. Given that a Miata is instantly recognizable (and mine even more so due certain specific styling details) I am sure he was instantly aware what it was all about. At first, he sort of smiled played it off like he's none the wiser, though, probably while making a call to someone unsure of my intentions. I had to get in front and gently but firmly slow him down and indicate towards the hard shoulder, to which he finally obliged.

I have to say that I had adrenaline pumping it the fight-or-flight mode, but managed to control myself and not do or imagine any stupid stuff. When we pulled over I went over to his car to talk. He then admitted that the incident happened and we basically had a chat where I explained (in a polite but firm manner) that what he did was wrong and unfair towards me, and that I had an option of calling the cops and reporting the hit and run with the witness, which would left him with a suspended license for 18 months and a (relatively small) fine, which I decided not to do, since it seemed a bit of an overkill at the time. Oh, and he shelled off some cash on the spot for polishing of the scratches. Well, karma works that way I suppose.

So yes, I think you can take me seriously. Had he not stopped I think I would have made a couple of calls to make people aware of the situation, his numberplates and where we're heading, and then would have followed him to his workplace / whatever in a relaxed mode. Not sure what would come out of that one, but I wouldn't be doing anything too wrong either.

Last edited:
I just read this in another forum...

The NA is a girl with a playful curiosity about sex, as the NB, she has grown into a woman with an insatiable appetite for it.

I have had 6 Miatas, I know of what I speak.

Would you agree? :hmm:

I'm biased but I think that the NA is in no way better than the NB, except a little bit of weight maybe. The NB is just as nimble and playful but it's a much nicer car, as if they'd ironed out some silly kinks from the original

ETA: I've had a decent amount of seat time in NAs and (obviously) own an NB.

Edit2: The jump from the NB to the NC was much greater than from the NA to the NB.

Last edited:
Ahead of the German launch next weekend I've just spent half an hour touching a stationary ND inappropriately... hmm.

The good bits:
Great to look at in person, even in wallflower dark grey.
The interior and general feel doesn't suffer too much from the quest for lightness.
Getting in and out is okay even with the roof closed.
The boot is a bit bigger than I expected.

The not-so-good bits:
With the seat all the way back/down my head is touching the roof, could do with an extra cm or two lower bum.
With the tilting steering wheel all the way up my knees barely have room, could do with a bit more tilting up, or telescoping up&out.

Not turned off yet by the tightness inside, will have to see how it feels on the move... but more sceptical than before :| the increase in space from the NC is quite small.

With the seat all the way back/down my head is touching the roof, could do with an extra cm or two lower bum.
With the tilting steering wheel all the way up my knees barely have room, could do with a bit more tilting up, or telescoping up&out.
If I remember correctly you are a bit smaller than I am, and somewhat wider. This will be interesting - in the NC I had the same problem with the roof.
At this point, I think I'd be glad if I didn't fit in the car comfortably, as that would make the decision not to dump a lot of money into a new or near-new car very easy.

If I remember correctly you are a bit smaller than I am, and somewhat wider. This will be interesting - in the NC I had the same problem with the roof.
At this point, I think I'd be glad if I didn't fit in the car comfortably, as that would make the decision not to dump a lot of money into a new or near-new car very easy.

You're a bit taller, yeah - should be a quick "nope" with a static test-sitting for you, just make sure to keep the roof closed at all times. Many dealers may already have cars on display, and with the official release a week away it should be fairly quiet.
I'm mostly putting all the puzzle pieces together on whether to go company car or not... Ruling out (or not) the MX-5 is one of them because company politics dictate VAG, the larger puzzle piece is getting all the tax- and business-trip-related calculations figured out. If the MX-5 wins me over then I won't commit to a 3-year lease regardless of potential tax savings. If the tax savings don't materialize then I can still put off the decision until reasonably priced lightly used cars appear... no need to replace the Eos whatsoever :)

Oh, someone amend the poll!

Last edited:
Slowly Getting my car together, I'm pretty excited though. The big purchases for this car well be bushings and suspension. I'm interested in getting two sets of springs since I imagine 550s would be quite stiff on the street. Right now I'm eyeing the Fox suspension that flyin' miata has for sale . I'm also looking at frame stiffening, plans for that are frame bracing, strut tower bracing, a roll bar, tubing by the doors and weld reinforcement. Are Recommendations for other parts that are comparible?

Last edited: