MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
Hell, power is the last thing that should be upgraded! :lol:

It's happening! :)

Got a decent offer for my old car, so it's gone. And since I haven't found anything better, and I really liked it... I went ahead and signed off on the purchase of the '08 NC that I've test-driven three weeks ago. Delivery planned Wednesday next week. Dealer will be doing a general pre-sale overhaul/cleanup, including a thorough cleaning of the soft-top and a battery replacement. I'm also getting 4 new winter tires instead of the ancient ones that are currently on the car, and a small discount on the already low-ish price. Pretty happy overall. Let's see how that holds up when I've actually owned it for a while :p

That should be fine. I don't fly large drones anymore, pretty much all I currently own are 250mm and smaller FPV racers, and those will easily fit even in the Miata trunk. Which is actually larger than I expected, somehow.

I've gone and bought a thing:

2017-09-13 18.19.42.jpg

PYC thread coming up shortly. Don't have good pictures yet, it's raining... perfect weather to pick up a convertible :p At least I'm quite sure the roof is watertight. And after the cleaning and, presumably, joint lubricating it's actually easy to put up from the inside now, as I've had to find out shortly after leaving the shop.

Also, first DIY project already lined up: install 3.5mm AUX cable :) Should be easy enough to do. Cable came in the mail today, perfectly timed.

Congrats!
:thumbsup:

Do you think you know a lot about cars? Prove your knowledge with this clickbaity-test by Mazda USA.

That was harder than I expected...

8/14, means I still have a life :p

Rudimentary Japanese got me two answers. Still only 9/14. I realized too late that
it's always the most positive answer

Reposting my thoughts on being a Miata owner from the car thread, since they might be relevant for others looking to become owners eventually :)

- Fuel consumption has stabilized at around 8,1l/100km. More than I'd expect from a car this small and light, but still less than all my previous cars, therefore I'm happy. Also, I don't exactly drive it too economically.
- Size is enough for 99% of my needs. I mostly drive alone or with a single passenger anyway, and rarely with more stuff than fits in the MX5's trunk. For rare exceptions, usually another vehicle can be procured in some way.
- It's really fun, which really was the main point of the purchase. I find that I'm looking forward to almost any drive much more than with previous cars. Except...
- Long Autobahn drives are unpleasant. Comfortable cruising speed is <=140 (as opposed to ~150-160 in the C-class and 170+ in the A5), and even then it's way loud and twitchy. I actually try to avoid highways if I can, but it's not always reasonably possible.
- Despite the high-speed loudness, soft top was the right choice I think, just because of how quickly it goes up and down. I try to have it down as much as possible, but if it's too cold or starts raining, it takes under 10 seconds at the lights or at the side of the road to get it back up and keep going, or to release and throw it back down if the sun comes out again.
- Xenon lights aren't necessary, it has the best halogens I've seen before by far. Probably because they sit so low they are not angled as far down as most other cars (but still aren't anywhere near blinding opposing traffic), and with decent bulbs I get almost as much light as the xenons produced in the A5. No night time visibility issues whatsoever.
- But lights from other cars are much more annoying, because one sits so bloody low. Especially high-riding SUVs and vans blind me every single time, either coming the other way or from behind via side mirrors.

All in all, so far I'm quite happy with the little thing. With the winter approaching, days shortening and temperatures dropping I don't get as much top-down time as I'd like anymore, but I'm really looking forward to first snow. And probably even more to next year, when I'll get some proper grippy summer rubbers on it, and see how well it really goes in the dry.

Honda V6, Mazda V6, Jaguar V6, GM V6, now this... wowzers

Reactions: TC
thevictor390;n3411411 said:
Rudimentary Japanese got me two answers. Still only 9/14. I realized too late that
it's always the most positive answer

I got 9/14 too, but I only remembered those phrases from their old commercials and magazine ads.

Looking at getting my first MX5 now my new job sees me on fun roads more often. It will just be a sunny day car for a short commute, it won't be my daily.

There's an NB and an NC both coming up at a local auction that I'm hoping I could get a good deal on.

Can someone who has owned both give me a good summary of the NB vs NC experience? Both 1.8s

I've driven both. NB feels more pure and has a more satisfying, old school feel but rust is the enemy, particularly rear sills just in front of the rear wheels. NC feels much more modern - inside could as easily be a mainstream car from Vauxhall or Peugeot, very little character, but is OK to drive although it handles pretty much as well it doesn't feel as lithe or nimble.

Find one of each to test drive before bidding. My gut feeling is you'll probably prefer the NB as I know you like older cars and a more honest feel.

The NB is vinyl, the NC is CDs. The latter may be more reliable, but the former more real and honest.

And if they sort out the steering feel on the ND? Put me down for one in a few years' time because other than that it's damn near perfect.

MWF;n3547418 said:
I've driven both. NB feels more pure and has a more satisfying, old school feel but rust is the enemy, particularly rear sills just in front of the rear wheels. NC feels much more modern - inside could as easily be a mainstream car from Vauxhall or Peugeot, very little character, but is OK to drive although it handles pretty much as well it doesn't feel as lithe or nimble.

Find one of each to test drive before bidding. My gut feeling is you'll probably prefer the NB as I know you like older cars and a more honest feel.

The NB is vinyl, the NC is CDs. The latter may be more reliable, but the former more real and honest.

And if they sort out the steering feel on the ND? Put me down for one in a few years' time because other than that it's damn near perfect.

What would the NA be? Wax cylinders?