MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
Nah still old records, but 78rpm played on a wind up gramophone. :tease:

MWF;n3547440 said:
Nah still old records, but 78rpm played on a wind up gramophone. :tease:

:lol: Fair enough.

Only one thing you need to know: NC 1.8 is open diff, NB 1.8 has LSD :p

I don't think we have a member on FG that has owned both, no ... ?

Mitchi;n3547460 said:
Only one thing you need to know: NC 1.8 is open diff, NB 1.8 has LSD :p

I don't think we have a member on FG that has owned both, no ... ?

Only in the US I think, sadly the NB I'm looking at is an open diff. It's a Nevada, which was one of those many special models from that time period based on the base model.

The Sport, and the specials based on the sport had the LSD in the UK. (Phoenix, Eurphonic? Icon and Arizona I think).

Was also independently offered a 1.8 early NC today, the pre-facelift type with the moon buggy ride. I'll give it a test drive for curiosity sake, but I can't see myself liking it.

Last edited:
That's weird. We germans got a locking diff in every 1.8 NB ...

How did this thread die, of all?

I'm swapping the BRZ for an ND tonight, for a week. Bike's ECU goes out for tuning, so I'll only have said ND to get around for a few days. Much excite ahead!

Who says it's still a car underneath? Those wheels have five lugs and NBs came with four lugs stock; it could be on a truck frame at this point.

Who says it's still a car underneath? Those wheels have five lugs and NBs came with four lugs stock; it could be on a truck frame at this point.

I think you can actually see the truck frame under the Miata body.

Some Savage Geese made a 5-part YouTube series about the MX-5. Haven't watched it myself yet.

• Ep 1:

• Ep 2:

Eps 3 to 5 to be released.

Today I did some mental health self-medication and prescribed myself some open-top driving. 160 km of mostly country roads, after dinner into the darkness. After the first 140 km, I had gained 30 minutes to the satnav prediction :angel: , then I turned off navigation because I abandoned the route in favour of getting home. Glorious. :) And my winter tyres are really not the right shoes for 15-20°C...
But that's not why I post.

Waiting at a left-turn red light, I notice a BMW Xsomething stopping to my right despite his light being green. The driver asks me if the roof is electric. This is curious, because either people know the MX-5 and know its roof is manual, or they don't and assume it's electric because nowadays all convertibles have electric roofs.
Anyway, I just answer "no" and leisurely close and open the roof in roughly seven seconds. The BMW driver looks confused and drives off... :rofl: