Someone Else's Problem: My '19 2002 turbo

The wear looks very similar to how my first set of PS4S' looked after two seasons on the Model 3. There was still some tread on the middle, but the outer edges were very well worn out, both on the front and back. Also did an alignment check, and same as you, no issues found - it seems that's just how they wear down under sporty driving.

Yeah, these are PSSs so somewhat similar. The new ones probably will be too, no PS4Ss for my rear wheel size as far as I can tell.

My rears are worn more evently... still some life left in them, most shenanigans :shifty: were on the winters, allegedly.
The alignment dude blamed low air pressure, I doubt that because both the system and me check reasonably often and the summers did most of their driving in warm climate and warm wheel state, so no sudden temperature-induced drop of pressure to go unnoticed.

Didn't know the resolution of that display was so high.

I don't agree with how they forced an LCD into displaying round dials, but it's still several orders of magnitude better than my round dials with a speedo that's so hard to read I had to turn on the elderly driver mode that shows speed and gear inside each dial in big, friendly letters.

I don't agree with how they forced an LCD into displaying round dials, but it's still several orders of magnitude better than my round dials with a speedo that's so hard to read I had to turn on the elderly driver mode that shows speed and gear inside each dial in big, friendly letters.
Not sure if that's clear, but: The three round dials for speed, revs, fuel are physical dials, only the box bottom middle to bottom right is a display.

Here's an off state, note how the sun juuuust lets the needles be visible... usually it appears completely black when off.
IMG_20190831_150016.jpg

Huh, I thought they were digital dials too. The digits are on a display though, right? So you can change it to mph if you wanted?

The design makes sense with the physical needles, I've wondered why it was like that before. I prefer a full LCD that can become a nav display but it isn't my car so I just kept my opinion to myself. :LOL:

Huh, I thought they were digital dials too. The digits are on a display though, right? So you can change it to mph if you wanted?

The design makes sense with the physical needles, I've wondered why it was like that before. I prefer a full LCD that can become a nav display but it isn't my car so I just kept my opinion to myself. :LOL:
Nope, just backlit. Why would anyone want mph? Here you can see the digits getting mildly lit by natural light while the car is off:
IMG_20190831_150135.jpg

There's also the physical green/orange extra dial for the cruise control dot that runs outside the speedo circle :mrgreen:
IMG_20200820_152138_1.jpg

I really like this blend of classic dials tuned to perfection with just a hint of new-age fanciness. Not looking forward to basically getting forced into fully screen-ified dials :-(

Not sure if that's clear, but: The three round dials for speed, revs, fuel are physical dials, only the box bottom middle to bottom right is a display.
Almost exactly like how Mini does their digital dashes now. Tacho and fuel gauge are physical, with a 4"ish screen in between for speed and other stuffs.

I had no idea those were real gauges. Usually you can tell when a gauge cluster is half digital, but BMW did a good job here.

I like the digital cockpit in higher end cars because the dials can go away to make room for a nice satnav map when needed. Sadly my car doesn’t have satnav, it just has a pair of skeuomorphic dials with an area in between, much like OP’s 2002 turbo. The centers of the dials are customizable though.

Obviously these days, we also have digital drivers displays in cheap cars as a cost-cutting measure. Wonder how long it’ll take before gauges with real needles are gone?

Obviously these days, we also have digital drivers displays in cheap cars as a cost-cutting measure. Wonder how long it’ll take before gauges with real needles are gone?

*shudder*

Well, with any luck they will become a fixture in uber expensive, luggsury cars. Much in the same way Rolex isn't going anywhere even with Apple watches about or how you still get a Breitling affixed to the dash of a Bentley and an IWC on a Mercedes.

I don't like digital cockpits. I feel I spend enough time of my day staring at screens already. Maybe I will feel a little better about them when we finally have small, affordable MicroLED or cheap displays with so many dimming zones that it doesn't really make a difference if the pixels light up individually.

Here's one I have wondered about on-and-off for ancillary displays (HVAC, clock, external temp, whathaveyou). I feel like many of these things where it doesn't get updated nearly as often could be served well by e-paper. And yet I don't think I've ever seen the tech applied to any vehicle. Is there some durability issues I don't know about or is it just that nobody bothered since LCD's have historically done a good enough job?

Last edited:
Well, with any luck they will become a fixture in uber expensive, luggsury cars.
Let me tell you about the HYPERSCREEN Merc's come up with! 47" of convoluted bullshit to show you the exact same information THRICE :|

I can have three simultaneous speed readouts in my drivers display if I want. Plus one in the center stack if I launch Waze via CarPlay.

Nice! the bloody MBUX in the hyperscreen will happily show navigation instructions in all three screen areas - even to the passenger, for whatever reason. And it'll happily stutter and lag as a result of any input it receives, so you better leave it alone. sadly can't find the picture / video i saw this in.

Nice! the bloody MBUX in the hyperscreen will happily show navigation instructions in all three screen areas - even to the passenger, for whatever reason. And it'll happily stutter and lag as a result of any input it receives, so you better leave it alone. sadly can't find the picture / video i saw this in.

You'd think "the best or nothing" would be able to afford iPad grade hardware.

Let me tell you about the HYPERSCREEN Merc's come up with! 47" of convoluted bullshit to show you the exact same information THRICE :|
*Eye twitch*