Ownership Verified: My 1986 Volkswagen Polo Classic

Considering getting a center console for convenience... and retrofitting a cigarette lighter so I could charge my phone with something. Yes, I do have powerbanks everywhere.

derby2_front.jpg

derby2_heck.jpg

derby2_innen.jpg

Man, brown is such a good fit on this car. Especially with a matching dash.

$_20.JPG

And I just ordered this from Germany. Some of the GT/G40 tachos I was looking at were 100-160 eur; this Golf 1 one was less than 70 with shipping and it's virtually identical. Seller says it was working perfectly before removal. I'll just have to modify the odometer reading to match whatever the Polo has on the clock when the swap is done.

What's the difference between Derby and Polo anyway?

Here in Germany, the hatchback is called Polo, the notchback is/was called Derby. Apparently that's not consistent internationally.

The first saloon Polos (86) and the first second generation saloons (86c) were called Derby in Germany. Then they changed over to Polo C or Polo Classic, around the time the front changed from square headlights to round ones I guess. In Finland, the second generation cars were always just Polos.

9HHUnzf.jpg

Back to square one? :p

The car's getting the z?ndimpuls sensor swapped and the guy will also fabricate me some radio wiring.

ziDWhjr.jpg

I'll also have to order some L?ftf?hrungspappe for the radiator, these are gone...

Lots of goodies in the mail today!

QkyyOCT.jpg

This one needs some paint, but will produce a nicer result than the current one. I'll still probably overhaul the old one too.

gF5euSx.jpg

This one needs a little fettling, like resetting the mileage to suit my car. But it looks well kept despite the interstellar reading.

PEj2zWB.jpg

I love this so much... fantastic colour and it's unused, perfect condition!

But what's under that crudely applied VW logo?

ZZfaLsJ.jpg

KhanSequel_FEAT.png

G9ufzxy.jpg

Also, this was a problem: Bosch box and a Marelli part, which was completely wrong for the car. This delays the car's repair/adjustment until I get this one:

1Mh63lm.jpg

GxrgFsv.jpg

j6P92Cq.jpg

9HHUnzf.jpg

Back to square one? :p

Someone stole electric poles while Polo was gone?

gF5euSx.jpg

This one needs a little fettling, like resetting the mileage to suit my car. But it looks well kept despite the interstellar reading.

Can't you just swap the speedometer? They seem like they could be interchangable.

That is definitely one option, one that would require little disassembling. Have to check it out.

Are those LEDs in the gauge cluster or just bulbs that look like leds?

I seem to recall late model Wartburgs had lots of LED in the gauge cluster too. Yes, Wartburg of all cars, a friend's family had one. For some reason most of the rest of the industry stuck with bulbs for another decade and a half.

Xp69Qg2.jpg

BOavNJC.jpg

Pulled the battery to be able to recharge it. Looks like the battery tray is healthy, even if it's dirty. No rust to be tackled, just a matter of crackly coating.

XrVkPhG.jpg

enHPIbq.jpg

And the car immediately looks more right with the black plastic center caps with bolt covers.

Refit the charged battery and fired the car up again. I think the carb still needs those service parts really, there's a clear flat spot with the throttle response and I'm suspecting the new seals could fix a vacuum leak. Otherwise it runs really nicely and the engine sounds healthy, I'm very happy that the tight cambelt squeak isn't there anymore.

Found new Bosch wiper blades from the trunk, meaning I don't have to fit the Valeos I bought just yet :p And the radio sounds good, even if I think I should probably remove the windshield aerial and fit a proper whip antenna, as there is a factory made hole on the fender. The car also needs some new windshield washer hose, as the old one had split and now it's too short, it catches on the underhood plastic when opening the hood.

1nUy3T9.jpg

k2qvqAa.jpg

Realized how much dust had accumulated on the car, so I declared it back on the road and drove it through a carwash. Ended up driving to another town so we could visit the gf's grandmother, and the car and its radio performed as I wished over a 100km drive. The hesitation is present at highway speeds, but damn if it isn't nice to ride in this, listening to talk radio through the single speaker on the dash. Been driving it again today just to keep it warm and up to par. Obviously it's dirty again, but such is life.

HUBCPgC.jpg

izIkAxW.jpg

^
Please, do it! :)

brook99131frankchurch.jpeg