Ownership Verified: My 1988 Lancia Delta HF Turbo

klutch said:
Hi-Fi, and I think it was an elephant...

we have a winner :thumbsup:

Svempa said:
Avanti do you know Sauro Team in Bolonga? They offer uprated ECU's for a range of cars. Among those your 1600 HF Turbo. Gives an extra 30 bhp. That would give you a slightly better power/weight ratio than a standard Integrale :) You'd probably leave Golf VR6, Reanult Clio Sport, Civic VTI etc in the dust for sure if you don't do that already 8)

www.sauroteam.com

Thank you for the link, I did not know about them. Starting to save money right now.. :D

Any news on the car? Got the chip?

avanti said:
haz said:
BlaRo said:
What a kickass first car. :thumbup:

One can only hope both the driver and the car is still alive one year from today ...

haz

I don't understand why I wouldn't, I am the same age as you, I've had my license sine the day I turned 18 and I've never had an accident. Plus I have survived for 3 years on a Suzuki GSX-R750. Do you always get up on the wrong side of the bed?
You have excellent qualifications for a long and happy motoring career. Great car mate, I think the reroof is a good idea. Congrats. /Edit I think people are worried for new drivers after that terrible accident with the Maser reported on another thread.

Cobol74 said:
avanti said:
haz said:
BlaRo said:
What a kickass first car. :thumbup:

One can only hope both the driver and the car is still alive one year from today ...

haz

I don't understand why I wouldn't, I am the same age as you, I've had my license sine the day I turned 18 and I've never had an accident. Plus I have survived for 3 years on a Suzuki GSX-R750. Do you always get up on the wrong side of the bed?
You have excellent qualifications for a long and happy motoring career. Great car mate, I think the reroof is a good idea. Congrats. /Edit I think people are worried for new drivers after that terrible accident with the Maser reported on another thread.
Or simply because they're jealous :)

I love the look of the thing, it would make a mad first car... I'm so jealous right now...

And the color kicks ass >_>

Any news on the car? Got the chip?

No news yet, I will call and check how much it costs. Anyways, I'm gonna rack up some miles in original condition first, so that I can really appreciate the difference. :)

Right now the only modification done to the car is the open exhaust. In addition to the chip I want to get a K&N 57i Performance Kit. And a pop-off valve, I love the sound :D Then in a while maybe I'll get a bleed valve too.

You have excellent qualifications for a long and happy motoring career. Great car mate...

Nice car, now we all pray it doesn't disintegrate into a pile of rust within a few months like most Lancias do ;)

So far I have not seen any signs of rust on the car, touch wood ;)

But the Delta actually has good rust protection, as a result of the partnership between Saab and Fiat/Lancia/Alfa in the 80's the Delta was better suited for colder climates and less prone to rust than other Lancias. The Delta was sold as the Saab 600 in Sweden.

I think only the basic model, LX and GT were sold as Saab, maybe Svempa can confirm it.

So far I have not seen any signs of rust on the car, touch wood ;)

But the Delta actually has good rust protection, as a result of the partnership between Saab and Fiat/Lancia/Alfa in the 80's the Delta was better suited for colder climates and less prone to rust than other Lancias. The Delta was sold as the Saab 600 in Sweden.

I think only the basic model, LX and GT were sold as Saab, maybe Svempa can confirm it.
Yes only the basic models were sold here. I actually went to the local SAAB delarship a couple of weeks ago trying to buy a wheelnut for the Integrale. Open asking for Lancia parts a just got a very strange look from the owner followed by "That was a long time ago kid." :D

To import the more fun voersions of the Delta has only been possible for 8 or 9 years. Funny story comes to mind though: There was this guy from Cyprus who grew up in Sweden. He wanted an Integrale so badly. But due to emission laws he couldn't import one the usual way. The only option was either by holding a rallylicense and using the car for rallying or to bring in the car as "Flyttgods" swedish for "Movingcargo". If you lived abroad for 12 months you could bring in any car you wanted to make live easier for people moving back into the country. So this guy just heads off to Cyprus for a year where he buys a superb example and then moves back bringing in the car without any troubles. Dedicated man! True Deltisti! :)

To import the more fun voersions of the Delta has only been possible for 8 or 9 years. Funny story comes to mind though: There was this guy from Cyprus who grew up in Sweden. He wanted an Integrale so badly. But due to emission laws he couldn't import one the usual way. The only option was either by holding a rallylicense and using the car for rallying or to bring in the car as "Flyttgods" swedish for "Movingcargo". If you lived abroad for 12 months you could bring in any car you wanted to make live easier for people moving back into the country. So this guy just heads off to Cyprus for a year where he buys a superb example and then moves back bringing in the car without any troubles. Dedicated man! True Deltisti! :)
Haha, sounds like something I'd do when I get older. He must have had a tough time explaining it to the wife, though. "Yes, honey, it's a business trip. Yes, I have to be away for an entire year. I've left you some cash..."

I guess it is time for a little update after almost 6 months of ownership.

Since I bought it I've driven a bit over 3.000km/1864miles, and it has been great :D I have never driven such a fun and fast car, it is really a joy to drive it.

After I bought it I mentioned that I wanted to modify it a bit, new chip, air filter and so on. That has been put on hold for now, firstly because it is such a good care to drive now, not sure I "need" the extra power. Secondly because in 2008 the car becomes 20 years old, meaning Auto Storico, witch means that I just pay about 20 euros in road tax and about 100 euros in insurance. But in order to get the insurance benefit, the car needs to be 100% original.

So, at least for now, the car will remain original. It is also quite a rare car, you don't see the HF Turbo very often, not even here in Italy. So it feels nice to own such a car in its original condition.

So far I have done one service, at 81.833km:
- changed timing belts
- oil and oil filter.

I also bought a new stereo, Sony CDX GT212, I think it fits the style of the car better.
rPICT2745.JPG

Here is a picture taken 10 minutes ago
ePICT2876.jpg

:)

Nice, sounds like a good deal to keep it a classic and save with the insurance and tax. I wish we had the same here.

I say spend the money you would have used on a chip on some T-cut, shocks, and sticky rubber. :)

Last edited:
Secondly because in 2008 the car becomes 20 years old, meaning Auto Storico, witch means that I just pay about 20 euros in road tax and about 100 euros in insurance. But in order to get the insurance benefit, the car needs to be 100% original.

that sucks

we have about the same rules, but you don't have to leave it stock at all, you can have it drive on its roof if you want. the only thing which need to work are the brake(light)s.

you can only use it during the weekends and in a radius of 25km around your house though (unless you're going to some sort of meeting)

that sucks

we have about the same rules, but you don't have to leave it stock at all, you can have it drive on its roof if you want. the only thing which need to work are the brake(light)s.

you can only use it during the weekends and in a radius of 25km around your house though (unless you're going to some sort of meeting)
I think the rules (in italy) are ok, I don't think a Delta or any classic car for that matter, that has been modified beyond recognition have any historic value.

The rules here are not that strict, there are no restrictions on how far or when you can drive the car. Although I guess the insurance company would prefer that you don't use the car as a daily-driver.:)

Once I get the car registered with the italian historic car association (witch is a one time thing), I don't think there should be any problems to carry out a few minor modifications if I would feel the urge in the future, engine wise, that is. I would never modify the look of the car in any way, I think it looks perfect now.
:heart:

Ianspeed said:
I say spend the money you would have used on a chip on some T-cut, shocks, and sticky rubber.
Exactly my plan, gonna make it as good as possible without touching the engine.
BTW: what is a t-cut?

Ah, t-cut is just a type of agressive paint cleaner. Removes mild scratches, oxidation, and swirls. The downside is that you can 'burn' the paint and do damage.

I thought t-cut was a global product/term. Guess not :)

I think the rules (in italy) are ok, I don't think a Delta or any classic car for that matter, that has been modified beyond recognition have any historic value.

who's talking about historic value?

i'm talking about a roadregistered golf MKI with a turbocharged VR6 or sth :D

another update;

for the last few months I've been having some problems with the car, the revs of the engine where jumping all over the plce whilst changing gear, the engine dying without warning whilst driving, and in the end it wouldnt even start anymore...:cry:

Both fortunatly and unfortunatly it was the ecu that caused the problems. Fortunatly, because now we have checked every nut and cable on the car and know the its in "like new" conditon, unfortunatly, because the new ecu costs a fortune...

But what can you do, when your baby needs something you just have to cough up the dough...

another update;

for the last few months I've been having some problems with the car, the revs of the engine where jumping all over the plce whilst changing gear, the engine dying without warning whilst driving, and in the end it wouldnt even start anymore...:cry:

Both fortunatly and unfortunatly it was the ecu that caused the problems. Fortunatly, because now we have checked every nut and cable on the car and know the its in "like new" conditon, unfortunatly, because the new ecu costs a fortune...

But what can you do, when your baby needs something you just have to cough up the dough...

I'm sorry to hear that mate!!! I really think it's a piece of beauty that Lancia! But if you say that after the revision the car it's ok, I guess the money spent was worth it. Wasn't it?

About what you said some posts before ( it looks like I 'haven't been around this thread for a long time :p) I really think that it's a great idea to keep the car original as much as possible. That's what makes them cool, the purity of it's original design and performance!!! :D