My 1989 LN130 Hilux Surf

Well ive now gotten to the bottem of my electrical dramas with a new(ish) ECU now fitted. It even goes better now and makes less smoke on hard accelleration. Part of the problem was that the computer wasn't reading the signals from the boost pressure sensor on the turbo properly so it had shortened the injector pulses to compensate, only to realise that thay wasn't working so it opened them up again only to find that wasn't working either and so the cycle began again. With the new computer that has now stabalised and its now making the full 8psi of boost all the time. Also got my aircon sorted out and is now freezing my arse off every time I go anywhere in it :)

Also I rang EFS suspensions to find out whats going on with the rest of my lift kit. The clown on the other end told me hat they had lost part of my order and would call me back when they'd found it and refund me the cost of the lost items which is pretty fair I suppose but rather annoying all the same. So thats everything up to now

Good to hear everything is being dealt with. Hopfuly you'll be back out on the trails soon!

Quick update. The 4wd is fixed. Turns out not even the gearbox and transfer case was safe from water entry as I found out when removing the transfer case and a whole lot of salt water came out from the void housing.

P1010343.jpg

The little white things you can see are salt crystals

P1010345.jpg

P1010340.jpg

P1010339.jpg

The little square shaped object in the bottem left hand corner next to my shoe is what was causing all the dramas. I tried to remove it and swap it but it turns it hooks up to a shaft deep within the transfer case. At the end of the day it was easier to swap cases than strip 2 transfer cases, swap parts and re-build 1 working case.

Also my suspension goes in next week :D

Awesome! Hope to see more pics soon.

My brother blew up his motor, again, but he got it rebuilt, again, so there is a good chance we'll go do a trail this Saturday.

Sounds good dude, Hope your back on the trails soon!

Now that the 4wd is working, I took the oppitunity do so some offroad work last weekend. I don't have much in the way of photos, but I have some video of the surf in action. Problem is that my camera records to mini dvd and being somewhat of an internet noob don't know how to convert to a format I can post. If anyone can point me in the right direction, ill post some vids.

Finaly worked out how to post vids and strip bits from dvd :D

So here's my Surf in action at City View 4x4 Park. Its the first real obstacle me and my mate encountered. Its a slight down hill with some fairly steep ruts. Only wish i had a camera following me down as I got some pretty kickarse wheel lift im told. At this stage the truck is still on stock suspension.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqYaIZ80oCk[/YOUTUBE]

More Clips

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tJU5qsBfZU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdOByw8buKo[/YOUTUBE]

Reactions: TC
Great clips! I hope to get some vids of my truck some day too.

Only wish i had a camera following me down as I got some pretty kickarse wheel lift im told.
I still haven't managed to get any wheel lift in my Toyota. :p Guess I need to try harder.

Nice Vids!

Was there suposed to be no sound? or was that my comp?

No, i stuffed something up and the sound didn't work. Still learning video editing.

Now rolling on 32's

Pirelli Scorpion A/T's on 15x7's

041608170341.jpg

041608170324.jpg

041608170302.jpg

Lift kit is now complete, but ive been to lazy to fit it

Niiice! But get rid of those running boards! :p

Yeah, there a bit bent now arn't they. Needs rock sliders

Did another trip out last weekend. Put up some pics in my gallery. Got the truck a bit beaten up on this one. Bent my side steps some more, reversed into a tree and bent my rear bar, punctured my fuel tank and bent the idler arm on the front steering. More big nasty rocks than I thought there was. Will put up some vidoes when my mated done editing them

sounds like fun, minus the carnage.

Wow, such a long time between updates. Havent done much in the way of modding but some intresting things have happened since last time. Starting off with what started as an oil leak.

And the story goes somthing like this:

Didn't do this on that trip, but about a month my last trip I discovered a small oil leak from around the gearbox drain plug. Lucky (or not as it turns out) for me I was at work so after id finnished the customer cars, I stuck the Surf up on the hoist and tightned up the plug, thinking it was loose. It turned a little bit then snapped off completely taking off a good sized chunk of the main gearbox caseing with it and vomited gearbox oil all over me. As it was midday on a saterday, there was nothing I could do about it so it had to stay at work for the weekend.

The following Monday:
Clocked off early to assess the damage and how to repair it. Determined a partial gearbox rebuild was needed. Removed gearbox. Had the great idea of replacing the clutch while the box was out. Encountered one of Toyotas greatest dumb ideas, the Dual Mass Flywheel.

Tuesday
Took the rest of the week off work to carry out nessessary repairs. Sourced a replacement clutch and Solid Flywheel Conversion kit from Exedy. Stripped down gearbox, found input shaft badly worn due to seized spigot bearing. Found transmission cross member and mount bent. Sourced replacement cross member and mount (genuine part ex sydney). Sourced 2nd gearbox to be plundered for parts. Clutch/Flywheel kit arrives same day, found out flywheel does not come with ring gear for the starter motor and that I have to re-use the original one. Spent the rest of the day grinding the plates and rivits off the old ring gear so I could heat it up and drop it on to the new flywheel.

Wednesday
Replaced rear main seal, spigot bearing and re-fitted new flywheel. Picked up "spare parts: gearbox from wreckers. Stripped down old box and took out parts I needed (input shaft, gearbox case). Cleaned up my box and put the input shaft in. Re-assembled completed box into the replacement case and re-assembled the rest of the transmission.

Thursday
Fitted new clutch (Exedy Heavy Duty) and put gearbox back in the car. Replaced clutch fluid and jobs done.

Friday
Driving to work, I found I had no pedal pressure on the clutch. Drove to work in 2nd gear. Found the slave cylinder had failed and was leaking. Replaced slave cylinder and re-bled clutch fluid. Now jobs done.

Total job bill: $1200 and a week off work

Long time no updates.

Got new spotties

PB250005.jpg

Lightforce 170 Strikers with Blue covers

PA230052.jpg

Got a snorkel fitted as well

PC080153.jpg

PC080155.jpg