Well ive now gotten to the bottem of my electrical dramas with a new(ish) ECU now fitted. It even goes better now and makes less smoke on hard accelleration. Part of the problem was that the computer wasn't reading the signals from the boost pressure sensor on the turbo properly so it had shortened the injector pulses to compensate, only to realise that thay wasn't working so it opened them up again only to find that wasn't working either and so the cycle began again. With the new computer that has now stabalised and its now making the full 8psi of boost all the time. Also got my aircon sorted out and is now freezing my arse off every time I go anywhere in it
Also I rang EFS suspensions to find out whats going on with the rest of my lift kit. The clown on the other end told me hat they had lost part of my order and would call me back when they'd found it and refund me the cost of the lost items which is pretty fair I suppose but rather annoying all the same. So thats everything up to now
Quick update. The 4wd is fixed. Turns out not even the gearbox and transfer case was safe from water entry as I found out when removing the transfer case and a whole lot of salt water came out from the void housing.
The little white things you can see are salt crystals
The little square shaped object in the bottem left hand corner next to my shoe is what was causing all the dramas. I tried to remove it and swap it but it turns it hooks up to a shaft deep within the transfer case. At the end of the day it was easier to swap cases than strip 2 transfer cases, swap parts and re-build 1 working case.
Now that the 4wd is working, I took the oppitunity do so some offroad work last weekend. I don't have much in the way of photos, but I have some video of the surf in action. Problem is that my camera records to mini dvd and being somewhat of an internet noob don't know how to convert to a format I can post. If anyone can point me in the right direction, ill post some vids.
Finaly worked out how to post vids and strip bits from dvd
So here's my Surf in action at City View 4x4 Park. Its the first real obstacle me and my mate encountered. Its a slight down hill with some fairly steep ruts. Only wish i had a camera following me down as I got some pretty kickarse wheel lift im told. At this stage the truck is still on stock suspension.
Did another trip out last weekend. Put up some pics in my gallery. Got the truck a bit beaten up on this one. Bent my side steps some more, reversed into a tree and bent my rear bar, punctured my fuel tank and bent the idler arm on the front steering. More big nasty rocks than I thought there was. Will put up some vidoes when my mated done editing them
Wow, such a long time between updates. Havent done much in the way of modding but some intresting things have happened since last time. Starting off with what started as an oil leak.
And the story goes somthing like this:
Didn't do this on that trip, but about a month my last trip I discovered a small oil leak from around the gearbox drain plug. Lucky (or not as it turns out) for me I was at work so after id finnished the customer cars, I stuck the Surf up on the hoist and tightned up the plug, thinking it was loose. It turned a little bit then snapped off completely taking off a good sized chunk of the main gearbox caseing with it and vomited gearbox oil all over me. As it was midday on a saterday, there was nothing I could do about it so it had to stay at work for the weekend.
The following Monday:
Clocked off early to assess the damage and how to repair it. Determined a partial gearbox rebuild was needed. Removed gearbox. Had the great idea of replacing the clutch while the box was out. Encountered one of Toyotas greatest dumb ideas, the Dual Mass Flywheel.
Took the rest of the week off work to carry out nessessary repairs. Sourced a replacement clutch and Solid Flywheel Conversion kit from Exedy. Stripped down gearbox, found input shaft badly worn due to seized spigot bearing. Found transmission cross member and mount bent. Sourced replacement cross member and mount (genuine part ex sydney). Sourced 2nd gearbox to be plundered for parts. Clutch/Flywheel kit arrives same day, found out flywheel does not come with ring gear for the starter motor and that I have to re-use the original one. Spent the rest of the day grinding the plates and rivits off the old ring gear so I could heat it up and drop it on to the new flywheel.
Replaced rear main seal, spigot bearing and re-fitted new flywheel. Picked up "spare parts: gearbox from wreckers. Stripped down old box and took out parts I needed (input shaft, gearbox case). Cleaned up my box and put the input shaft in. Re-assembled completed box into the replacement case and re-assembled the rest of the transmission.
Fitted new clutch (Exedy Heavy Duty) and put gearbox back in the car. Replaced clutch fluid and jobs done.
Driving to work, I found I had no pedal pressure on the clutch. Drove to work in 2nd gear. Found the slave cylinder had failed and was leaking. Replaced slave cylinder and re-bled clutch fluid. Now jobs done.