My 1989 LN130 Hilux Surf

WellsieTRD

Car(s)
89 Hilux Surf 2 Door
Well, heres my new toy. Its a 1989 Hilux Surf 2 Door Diesel with 240569Kms. It has a 2.4L 2L-T turbo diesel, 5 speed manual, PIAA spotlights and 31x10 A/T tyres.

PA130543.jpg

PA130544.jpg

PA130545.jpg

PA130546.jpg

I personally prefer the four door 4Runners (what us cool people call them), but still nice nonetheless. ^_^

Sweet. Nice to see a fellow (4Runner) owner.

Thanks Adu, didn't realise there id made a mistake.

I would have prefered a 4 door, but there so damned hard to pin down here in aus. And a grey import is the only way to get a diesel. Ive had it just under a week and so far im pretty happy with it :D

Any mods planned?

Nive truck, I've always liked 4runners... hehehe

Eventually im gonna get a spring lift kit (2 - 3in), some proper spotties and some 32's. It is IFS which limits my options a little compared to a solid front but IFS 'lux's/Surfs/4runners are capable offroaders in their own right.

Otherwise im happy with it the way it is

Shaky hands!

Just kidding, that's a nice clean example of one. Usually they are that faded metallic grey colour.

Eventually im gonna get a spring lift kit (2 - 3in), some proper spotties and some 32's. It is IFS which limits my options a little compared to a solid front but IFS 'lux's/Surfs/4runners are capable offroaders in their own right.

Otherwise im happy with it the way it is

You could always to a solid axle swap... 8)

Just a quick update. Bought a 2" lift kit from EFS today. Has front and rear shocks, torsion bars, coil springs and steering dampner. Will post some pics when i get it all fitted up

That's cool. I just bought a 3" superlift for the rear end of my 4Runner. Still need shocks though. And I need to buy a steering damper/stabilizer while I'm at it.

Can't wait to see some pics of your Surf.

Well I took the Smurf out on its first 4WD outing the other weekend to the Elimbah State Forest, about an hour north of Brisbane. Unfortunatly due to work being busy, I hadn't had time to fit my lift kit. None the less it was interesting to see how it performed in standard ride hight and A/T tyres. And to my supprise it did quite well...that is until the auto hub actuator on the front diff called it a day and I got stuck in a mud hole in 2WD.

P1010004.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010001.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010008.jpg

This is where I got stuck. Just after the drop off is a massive mud hole which I got stuck in nose first.

P1010009.jpg

All in all it was a great day out. lookin forward to the next trip and hope the trucks ready and fully functioning

Reactions: TC
Awesome. Glad to see you taking it offroad.

Nice. Keep the images coming... I've never been into offroading before seeing it on here and it looks like fun.

Its heaps fun...heaps scary too. It was pretty heavy going for my first time out and I nearly rolled a few times. But it is heaps fun

Reactions: TC
Awesome! I love these cars and in fact almost bid on one on eBay last week - then realised that I need to get over my love of small two seater cars before I start collecting massive ones too!!! :)

Any updates? Did you get your lift kit installed yet? :cool:

No. not yet. The surf had a minor hiccup the other day. I was driving to work when the dash lights started flickering and flashing the check engine light at me. Being an import, my dealership techs couldn't do much to help me so i took it down to the auto elec's. Turns out the ECU was full of corrosion coutresy of the previous owner taking the cars name a bit to literaly and the only reason it still runs is because the fuel and ignition systems are mechanicly driven. So im now up for a new ECU.

That and I still have to buy torsion bars, balljoint and diff spacers (more down travel on the front so the tyres don't scrub when I put 33's on).....been a bit hammered at work so I havent had the time

It's been a month, so I thought I'd ask.

That's cool. Life has a way of getting involved and slowing things down. I've had my truck for about 6 months now, which is hard to believe. And I've only gotten to take it on 3 trails.

I need to find some hardware to mount some interior panels to protect my ECU. It's funny, my ECU says 22R on the side, but my motor is a 22RE. I wonder if I should be worried about that...

Will it be hard to find an ECU for your truck? Being an import and all.

Fortunatly there's plenty of wrecked ones about so ill be able to get one, how long it lasts is a bit of a gamble being a wrecker part. Also the 2L-T is now obsolete, I rang HQ in melbourne to ckeck availablilty in Japan, so new genuine parts no longer exist. But it will be back, fixed and lifted and tearing up Qld trails in no time