Ownership Verified: My 1990 Peugeot 205 XS

Nice funmobile! :)

For your flickering lights problem: I remember a thread where the headlights of the car flickered because an ignition cable was badly isolated and/or touched the cable going to the headlights. I can't recall if it was on this forum or somewhere else, but you might want to look into that.

Epic car on so many levels.
Having said that, it just painfully remembers me of this beautiful '89 205 GTI which is parked just 500m away from my home.
Sometimes I think about leaving a note under the whipers, but I only expect rejection...

This thread makes me want to import a 205 GTI...

Ordered the new lights from eBay, apparently they should be here by Friday. While I find that hard to believe, 66eur for the pair ain't too bad.

These aren't OEM but a matching repro solution, with the difference that the housing is black plastic. I might need to use chrome tape or something. :)

The original ones have a metal housing, which has turned to rust on my car. Of course, with plastic that's not an issue.

Since I haven't got the faintest idea when the cambelt has been done, and it certainly hasn't been done in the last four years, I ordered a complete cambelt set including the water pump. I'll probably have the school auto shop slap them together, it's the cheapest choice. The other option is to contact a wrencher that usually works on the American cars my friend sometimes buys.

If I get it done, I'll probably get the valve stem seals too. Those are very cheap and would rid the car of some action smoke at startup.

The timing belt cover has had a bracket break off, so I'll ask about that OEM. Edit: ordered. That heating pipe is out of production, and so are the black hubcaps. At some point, I'll swap the front indicators for new orange ones, current ones have cracks.

Last edited:
Some motivational photos from an XS overhaul thread at 205GTIdrivers.com:

94LoNfw.jpg

ROxvu4R.jpg

Peugeot Partner 14" steelies:

Lmb5PVF.jpg

H4ZIhvi.jpg

Opinions?

I don't like the red strip between the rear lights. The stock plastic looks better.

What if you take peugeot partner wheels, powdercoat them white and use the partners black center caps with the pug logo?

You sir, have one awesome car. :)

Actually, if I'll be getting a car I'd wish to get something similar. Although I must admit that it probably wouldn't get that much love from me. You did a great job polishing/restoring that car.

Thanks! There's still a lot to do, and not much done.

By the looks of it, I could have the belt done for cheap at the said friend-of-a-friend in about two weeks. Unless the car self-destructs by then, of course.