Ownership Verified: My 1990 Peugeot 205 XS

public

Captain Slow Charging
Car(s)
Atomic toaster
AN6pWQz.jpg

Having sold the Sapporo, I quickly moved back to browsing used car ads even more than usual. It become apparent that having only one car in our household would end up annoying, and the BMW's load-carrying capabilities are compromised by the rigid, not-folding rear seat. Obviously.

I looked at a frightening number of cars, ranging from a 1981 Porsche 924 to a Chrysler 300M; I couldn't really decide whether I wanted a sports car or a waftmobile. But then this one came along, at a price I couldn't resist.

It's a 1990 Peugeot 205 XS, first registered in June 1991. It has a 1360cc twin-choke carb four, producing 85 hp in a car that weighs 810kg. Five speeds, rev counter, two sets of good tires. The kicker is it has valid inspection until June 2014, so there's almost a full year of driving ahead of me before I would be required to do anything to it.

The XS model, as some of you might know, is essentially a budget 205 GTI. It has the GTI interior and front airdam, and the engine has a 10hp advance over the regular 1.4 XR model. No power steering, no nothing between me and the road except a rust free galvanised bodyshell. The car is infinitely amusing.

Things needing attention: It does need a good polish and cleaning. A jetwash got off some of the muck, and I sprayed the tabaccy interior down with some Sonax product, but it needs love. The foglights are as good as dead, and I need to see if the cambelt needs to be changed soon somewhere cheap. That's about it. Clutch is a bit temperamental and needs adjustment, and the driver's seat has some visible wear.

The price, for all this excess? 350 of my hard-earned Euros.

Proof pic:

cQGZR7T.jpg

udxH7Ae.jpg

Dq4W2vp.jpg

Rdy4qEg.jpg

6VZQ0YB.jpg

ju0I07k.jpg

xb147cj.jpg

Y3Gvvyb.jpg

The wheelcovers were binned the minute I got the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup: As said on irc, 205s are a blast to drive, and the XS engine sounds like a nice one.

If you can find em on the cheap, swap on some later rear light clusters, they look infinitely better than the old ones.

For 350 bucks, that?s a great deal!
:thumbsup:

I would thrash it past soccer moms in their ML's on the hard shoulder while shouting something rude.

Last edited:
Great car! Congratulations!

I hate to pull a Spectre, but...

It become apparent that having only one car in our household would end up annoying, and the BMW's load-carrying capabilities are compromised by the rigid, not-folding rear seat. Obviously.

And that's why you bought a small French hatchback? :p

Yes! It has a split-fold rear seat. :p Honestly, the following objects fit into the E34's boot:

1) Nothing

While the 205 is more of a multi-purpose vehicle and will swallow stuff like tires and furniture with gusto. By the way, I was this close to buying that one maroon 850 sedan; they didn't get the A/C working on it and deleted the mention of it on the ad, so I didn't go ask about it again. The 205 obviously doesn't have A/C, but on a Volvo sedan with dark leather it would've been essential.

SFgA5x9.jpg

Here is the eBay engine bay. Needs all kinds of cleaning and the camcover gasket appears to seep a bit, but that's expected.

I have a hunch this is going to be the cleanest 350? car I've seen.

Seriously though, it does make a lot of sense at that price and with those attributes. Still, can't help but feeling a bit disappointed that it isn't a Rallye or GTI. I'll reserve my final approval until I see it in the metal.

I was thinking to myself when I saw your post in General Automotive "I bet it's something French." And lo and behold! :lol: The 205's are a hoot to drive on twisty roads.

You traded the sapporo for THIS

obama_approves-52236.jpg

As we discussed on IRC, there's a hosepipe missing from the manifold in the front and the airbox.

XS-Eng1.jpg

That's the exhaust manifold, isn't it? What is this hose and what's its function? .. And how does the engine run without the hose?

Intriguing.

That hose is redirecting warm air from around the exhaust manifold into the intake, making the engine run smoother at low temperatures. Or that is the general idea atleast.

So awesome! Reminds me of my old 106, that was such a fun little car. I did nearly buy a Rallye once, still regret not doing it and might make up for it one day.

Finns and old school Peugeots have been a winning combination before, and while this one might not be so quick I bet you'll enjoy it!

Last edited:
That hose is redirecting warm air from around the exhaust manifold into the intake, making the engine run smoother at low temperatures. Or that is the general idea atleast.

Oh right. So basically an ok-idea to have it fixed before winter comes.

Well that's rather random, but looks tidy. The 205 is cool again now so nice buy. :thumbup: