Ownership Verified: My 1990 Saab 900S Turbo

public

Captain Slow Charging
Car(s)
Atomic toaster
k2RDpoEh.jpg

Another car? Who am I, CraigB? Well, these kind of things happen when I find something I've been looking for. And spending a little time in Dave's HMS Saab reminded I should take a look at these again.

b5L0xrAh.jpg

I've wanted a Saab for quite a while now, at least as long as a Citro?n or an Alfa Romeo. But all the 900:s and 9000:s I've test driven have left me cold, for some reason. Either the wrong engine, the wrong transmission, the wrong specification, the wrong price or a dodgy owner/dealer. This one comes from a Saab enthusiast, who only parted ways with the car because he had bought a Citro?n turbo diesel minivan for economy's sake. These things like their fuel.

kuUuXCYh.jpg

5E65iCV.jpg

The car is a 1990 Saab 900S, meaning it's the lower-pressure turbo junior brother to the Saab 900 Turbo with a capital T. Fresh off the Finnish assembly line, it produced 145 hp, coupled with a Warner Brothers Borg-Warner M-37 3-speed automatic transmission. Stay with me here: all the manual 9000s and 900NG:s and 9-3:s I've driven have had something about their manual gearboxes or clutches that have kept me from buying them. The test drive assured me the auto trans suits this car perfectly well, as there's plenty of torque.

TA9vbPph.jpg

It's also been fiddled with a little bit, as it has the intercooler from a 900 Turbo along with an ECU modification and a Turbosmart boost screw. With the boost turned up, it apparently has 15-ish extra horses and a nice helping of extra torque ? all within the auto box's scope to keep things reliable. It has very nice pick up and proper overtaking lungs. I especially like the steering, too, which on a highway is a lot more confidence-inspiring than the E34's.

pEoH4geh.jpg

42ztWAXh.jpg

The brakes have been overhauled with new Brembo rotors and pads. Suspension is Sachs Advantage / KYB, and it feels firm and capable without being a menace to anybody's kidneys. The Ronal wheels are off a 9000, and they wear semi-recent Hankook rubber. Handling-wise, there are zero complaints.

uTuUm4Vh.jpg

Veic86Mh.jpg

Inside, it's clean with a non-cracked dashboard and a correct Blaupunkt head unit ? which does have a faulty cassette mechanism. Might be replaced by an another Blaupunkt of similar age or a Kienzle. Radio works. The leather wheel is a Momo from a Saab 99, by the way.

The headliner sags a little from the back, but isn't annoying yet. The C-pillar trim is partially sun-wrecked. I like the sunroof, and the fact that it's operational and electric. No rust anywhere near it, either, or around the windshield. The hood is also rust-free.

BQ1KY7Ph.jpg

Where it does have rust are the inner edges of three door bottoms. They need to be fixed at some point; the car has been stored for the last three winters and the rust hasn't advanced. I'll probably have them taken care of.

jC34IWGh.jpg

fV8ubag.jpg

As for the other two cars, I'll shelve the BMW soonish and only take it out when snow has fallen and it's RWD weather again. The Peugeot will remain in beateresque use, as it's still a hoot. The BMW, while a solid car, is a lot slower than the Saab and has worse steering. The Peugeot is quick and fun, but unsubstantial-feeling on the highway. It's only justified, then, to have the cavernous Saab as a highway weapon.

aujoBFHh.jpg

And damn, does it feel nice to have a bespoilered red car again.

Proof pic:

KnBkdbp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Old 900s were not known for very reliable manual gearboxes. However, a 3-speed-auto doesn't sound very exciting.

Looking good, I had one of these on my shortlist before buying the Disco 2 years ago. Still, Dave should be locked up for the crime of making you want a Saab. :p

Regarding the radio, Joe just removed the Blaupunkt from his 5er, dunno what he plans on doing with it.

Regarding the radio, Joe just removed the Blaupunkt from his 5er, dunno what he plans on doing with it.

I've actually been in talks with him, I'll happily take it if I don't go the Kienzle route.

- - - Updated - - -

What can I say, except that this car seems made for you.
I will be very cross with you if I cannot inspect it in person next ringmeet.

I have to say, it's my first car that feels Autobahn-proof in its solidity and gutsiness.

Congratulations. I've always found those Saabs appealing too. I hope it treats you well, that way I might be motivated to buy one myself. :p

I definitely want to inspect it next year too :p

Anyway; I don't like that its an auto. I understand that the manuals you've tried have been iffy but I'd just use that as a reason to keep trying manuals, not to go and buy an auto :p Still, turbo. Even if it is a lpt. But still turbo. Which is better than no turbo by a million miles. And now you've made me want a classic 900 a lot more :p Don't remember if it was you I was saying this to, but since I bought a modern one I've wanted a classic one much less, but I kinda do now. They can look really good (even in 4/5 door format, not just 2/3 door as shown by yours). Also; turbo.

I am however disappoint it is not a topless swede.

And frankly I think the world would be a better place if we all bought Saabs instead of Golf mk4s... :no:

Last edited:
Weird placing for the key.

Also, weird shiftknob. :lol:

Congrats! It might not be my cup of aquavit, but if it makes you happy, go on! :)

3-speed automatic? Is that the same one they used in the Kadett E (and C...)? Oh my... that brings back awful memories.

Other than that, nice. :)

I second Adu's motion: You have far too many cars to travel to ringmeets by plane. :p

Dave: with the sunroof open it's good (and rigid) enough :p

No torquesteer in this one btw.

Very public-like car. Don't still like the steering wheel though. Otherwise perfect. Even the 3-speed-slowmatic sounds great and different from all the other OG900s.

Oh by the way, the original three-spoke steering wheel followed with the car, as did this:

iJup22nh.jpg

MARTY!

Great car, but....
... it just fits her very well. I never had the original 900 put down as a girl's car, but the combination of her and the car is just perfect. From a purely aesthetic point of view, you got your girlfriend a car.

Very nice! I learned to drive in, among other things, a 900 Turbo which was also red. This brings back memories.

Yes, it's a bit large, but trust me, you'll love that hatchback if you ever have lots of things that need moving.

Great car, but....
... it just fits her very well. I never had the original 900 put down as a girl's car, but the combination of her and the car is just perfect. From a purely aesthetic point of view, you got your girlfriend a car.

She still prefers the BMW, but did drive the Saab today ? the first time she's driven anything with an autobox :)