Ownership Verified: My 1992 Peugeot 405 Mi16

public

Captain Slow Charging
Car(s)
Atomic toaster
L06QKzc.jpg

5fEE0Qt.jpg

Freshly acquired, here's my new winterbeater / running project car / tow car. It's a 1992 Peugeot 405 Mi16, one of the finest European front-wheel-drive sports saloons of its time. (Go on, count all the competitors.) It has a 1.9-litre 16-valve XU four with 148 horsepower, the same engine as the Citro?n BX GTI 16v does. I've always wanted one of these, it's easy to say it's one of my childhood hero cars.

uzIrLWD.jpg

gow7k26.jpg

It's had three owners, and the last one has had it for 15 years and 200 000 km of its total 267 000 km:s. It was originally sold as a tax-free car from Helsinki and spent its formative years in central Europe, before getting shipped back to Finland. It's a little bit needy now, as the cambelt is extremely fucking due, the front strut mounts clonk all the time and the radiator keeps seeping. But those are just parts, and the engine, gearbox, body, underbody and interior are certainly in fine fettle for a cheap French car.

Cc63f4V.jpg

OvLnBHb.jpg

Yesterday, I took a bus to a famous rally town in Finland and met the seller at the train station. He took me to see the Pug, relayed the faults that need fixing, showed me the bits and bobs that came with the car and let me take it for a test drive. Some haggling ensued, we agreed, signed some papers, I handed him cold cash and then I was on my way home. This car will most likely replace the Sierra, as it does everything better as soon as I have rectified the issues that were included in the price. The other cars will stay: the Miata will be stored for the winter, the 205 will have the interior rework started and the Polo is not going to be a highway car like this.

Proof pic:

VaHUdYt.jpg

Oh, and it cost 600. :mrgreen:

Dude. I hate you.

Well played.

I have always liked those MI16 Peugeots. For that price, this is a real bargain.

It's a 1992 Peugeot 405 Mi16, one of the finest European front-wheel-drive sports saloons of its time. (Go on, count all the competitors.) It has a 1.9-litre 16-valve XU four with 148 horsepower, the same engine as the Citro?n BX GTI 16v does.

Does this count as one of those competitors? Nissan Primera P10 eGT.

lcotmold.jpg

Also, I always thought these Pugs had around 160 horsepowers. Am I totally wrong?

Fuck me, surprised theres any left. They all got engine raped for 205's.

Holy crap! This is awesome! Congrats! :thumbsup:

This is the one with 8 tubes exhaust manifold, right?

Breathtaking.

You made a sane impression the last time I saw you. - And now this. - Ack. I hope you got your tetanus shot recently. :lol:
And maybe, just maybe you should visit a doctor anyway. - Bring pictures of all your french cars. - It will help the doc with the final diagnosis. :lol:

Does this count as one of those competitors? Nissan Primera P10 eGT.

Unsurprisingly, this was the first one that came to mind for me. :D New for 1992, heavier but also more powerful with 170hp. Performance is pretty similar if I recall correctly.

twFMzT7.jpg

Also, I always thought these Pugs had around 160 horsepowers. Am I totally wrong?

The earliest cars without the catalytic converter made 160hp afaik.

Yes. The cat version has the least amount of power, and the facelift 2.0 version has 155.

I've now driven 400km in it and just made it home 5 minutes ago. Have to haul the tires somewhere, so it doesn't constantly have an enormous amount of cargo (and people) inside. I've driven it very cautiously, but the engine seems to be in full health ? keeps coolant and oil temp at 90?C, pulls well, doesn't make any weird sounds and generally feels like it's full of life.

It's also supremely relaxed on the highway, it's just exactly the kind of long distance car I wanted. Seat bolsters haven't worn practically at all, which is baffling in a 267k car with sports seats. And there are a lot of adjustments.

That looks pretty tidy for 600, well done. The driver's seat doesn't look like a 267k car.
How about safety inspection test (MOT) and annual car tax?

(Also, I drove a BX GTI once and I thought the engine was very lively.)

:smile:

MoT is good until mid-August, taxes have been paid, partial kasko insurance is less than 200 eur/year with my bonuses and so on :)

Congratulations!

It is indeed, the finest french ff 4 door sports saloon in its class!

Now, find where the CPS is so I can fix mine!

Holy crap! This is awesome! Congrats! :thumbsup:

This is the one with 8 tubes exhaust manifold, right?

That's the one!

Unsurprisingly, this was the first one that came to mind for me. :D New for 1992, heavier but also more powerful with 170hp. Performance is pretty similar if I recall correctly.

twFMzT7.jpg

The earliest cars without the catalytic converter made 160hp afaik.

And having owned one, 168hp is hardly enough to put it in the sports sedan category. I can imagine the Peugeot is similar. Both get to 60mph in around 9 seconds...

As for other competitors - probably the best FWD sports sedan of the time - the Alfa 164 3.0 V6

More shots of bits and pieces:

tOB5kvY.jpg

L9EkCwv.jpg

Tax free!

nFh02T9.jpg

What country's registration is that again? It's mentioned in the old Finnish papers.

8H7ahZg.jpg

Serviced in Cascais, Portugal.

tqCm2i3.jpg

Books and logs.