Ownership Verified: My 1992 Peugeot 405 Mi16

It's like the starter isn't there, from the cockpit at least. Reminds me of the time when the starter quit on the Xantia, but that wasn't preceded by losing cylinders.

The car gave no warning beforehand and both coolant and oil temp were at steady 90?. I had done about 100km of uneventful driving after I had last started the car. Both fluids were also present when I prodded around the engine bay and hadn't mixed.

^ Most likely.

Happend to me too with one of my earlier cars (Ford Fiesta). Unknown to me the alternator gave in so the car was draining the battery while I was driving. First the headlights went out, after that the radio died and soon enough the engine simply struggled and died. Quite a baffling experience. :lol:

New alternator + a battery push, and all was well again.

Last edited:
Alternator's been done 5000km ago, and I didn't lose any electrics except the starter.

The car was towed to a shop and I'll call them on Monday. Would've been useless to just dump it here.

The car was towed to a shop and I'll call them on Monday. Would've been useless to just dump it here.
Dump it... ? You're not going to replace the (likely) alternator and keep it going?

Yeah :lol: I'm so deep in this thing it would have to have a seized engine for me to discard it.

Hopefully it's nothing major, a clear fault which is easily fixed.

I suspect a more major issue would have happened more dramatically.

Well, last time we had a pretty major happening, yet the issue was cheap and simple. :lol:

The shop said they were able to start the car a couple days later with no problems and it ran normally. I thought this poses a slight problem for the car's diagnosing, since it would be easier if it remained non-functioning. They don't have the code reader suitable for the Peugeots of this era, so I'll drive the car to a Peugeot shop later on.

Could it be something ignition related that is affected by heat? Or a bad ground?

Could be the MAF too. If it does it again, try unplugging the MAF and see if it will idle/rev.

The shop said they were able to start the car a couple days later with no problems and it ran normally. I thought this poses a slight problem for the car's diagnosing, since it would be easier if it remained non-functioning. They don't have the code reader suitable for the Peugeots of this era, so I'll drive the car to a Peugeot shop later on.

Could it be something ignition related that is affected by heat? Or a bad ground?

I would start with the coil, had very similar symptoms with my iS when the original coil failed.

I also have a spare coil and a spare MAF.

DDLLSWJW0AAC7Do.jpg:large

Coil not pictured.

Not maf nor coil will stop starter from turning over. Still think it's oxidized contacts on ignition lock or cracked solder joints in a DME relay (or equivalant).

On the phone yesterday with public we thought it could be bad earth on the engine? Usually Peugeots of this vintage have cable directly from the battery to the transmission bellhousing. If that has bad contact, engine starts to run badly and starter motor solenoid won't engage.

Of course such grounding points never corrode. The thing is, the car has had a clutch swap, and at least on my 406 removing that grounding wire from bellhousing was part of the clutch removal. I did forget to attach it, which caused slight confusion after the repair. :lol: