My 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix saloon

OldSkoolGP

Car(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
Now this is a very popular car in America, and very bland as well. What makes mine more interesting is everything I've done do it. It came with a 3.4L DOHC V6, (the first DOHC V6 America tried to make) which produced 200 BHP. It's FWD and had a 4 speed automatic with lockup torque converter.

calendar.jpg

What I've done is replaced the hood with the rare Turbo Grand Prix hood, painted the entire car black, added pearl blue ghost flames to the hood and front fenders, added the coupe spoiler, replaced the wheels with the GTP edition 8 inch wide wheels, and replaced the automatic with the very rare 5 speed Getrag manual transmission. I've also done extensive engine work which has bumped the power from 200 to around 260 BHP, and I have more modifications in store that I hope will take it up to 300 BHP.

calendar2.jpg

I've firmed up and improved the suspension and removed about 200 pounds (15 stone) from the car and more improvments are on the way. It handles very well for a FWD family saloon, and is a blast to drive. It's quick too. It runs the quarter mile in ~14.6 seconds, and I also take it to track days and run 1 lap autocross events where it's quite competetive. It is my pride and joy and a reminder of the rare and cool cars that General Motors used to make.

calendar3.jpg

I also have a 2003 VW Jetta/Bora TDI, but everyone has seen those.:mrgreen:

Pic 2 looks like a redneck airport ;)

Nice car, mate.

LOL, thanks. It was only after I took that picture that someone told me the small airport was still operational and open that day. Had I been caught I may be in jail right now.:mrgreen:

Oh man, I love 80's and early 90's American cars when they're souped up and and clean as hell, like yours.

Ever thought of a supercharger? You could probably find 20 in a junkyard from all those Regals.

Nice. I like unique cars. More pics and info on the 5speed. Was it a option on the car or just made to fit? Engine shots? What have you done to get 60hp out of a non turbo engine?

I thought all the Pontiac GTP's had either a 3800 supercharged v6 or the one turbo model that was out for a year or 2, can't recall much about it.

If I'm right that is the same V6 that GM's engineers pulled 300hp out of but then detuned to 200hp because the automatic transmission (option) that hyrdamatic came up with couldn't handle anymore power...

I thought all the Pontiac GTP's had either a 3800 supercharged v6 or the one turbo model that was out for a year or 2, can't recall much about it.

If I'm right that is the same V6 that GM's engineers pulled 300hp out of but then detuned to 200hp because the automatic transmission (option) that hyrdamatic came up with couldn't handle anymore power...

LQ1
The LQ1 (also called the Twin Dual Cam) was a special DOHC version of the 3.1 L LH0 V6. It was built from 1991 to 1997. From 1991 to 1993, it used tuned multi-port fuel injection, made 200-210 hp @ 5200 rpm and 215 ft-lb of torque @ 4000 rpm. From 1994 to 1997, it used sequential port fuel injection, making 215 hp @ 5200 rpm and 225 ft-lb of torque @ 4000 rpm. It had four large valves per cylinder. The 3.4 L engine used a cogged belt to drive the four overhead camshafts. Adapting a pushrod block for the LQ1 was difficult, and the 60? angle made this a very tall engine, but power output was impressive.

Bore was increased to 92 mm, but the 3.1 L engine's 84 mm stroke was retained. There are only a few interchangeable parts between this DOHC engine and other members of the 60? family, namely the connecting rods and crankshaft.

The heads and intake manifolds were redesigned for the 1996 model year, incorporating a larger throttle body and plenum area, slightly shorter intake runners, cloverleaf combustion chambers, and larger "pill"-shaped exhaust ports. Camshafts and cam timing were also revised for the new, higher RPM powerband.

Applications:

1991-1994 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1991-1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
1991-1996 Pontiac Grand Prix
1995-1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34
1995-1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_60-Degree_V6_engine#LQ1

Oh, I thought at first that you had a really rare Grand Prix right there, with the turbo hood.
Looks good! Take it out on East Wash at all? :D

Pic 2 looks like a redneck airport ;)
Sadly it looks better than the one I fly out of. It looks more like a long driveway than a runway. I can never find the damn thing from the air. :lol:

That's a really mean looking car you've got there! I like it!

The biggest power adders are that I have the heads ported and polished, I upgraded to the last generation intake system with much bigger runners, I've done my own custom cam timing, and I converted the electronics over to OBD-II. The engine came with the car, but the transmission came out of a Lumina Z-34, which is pretty much the same car. In fact, Pontiac actually did make 57 Grand Prix sallons with the DOHC V6 and a manual, so I guess technically mine is #58.

thedguy: GM started using the 3800 V6 when they changed the body in 1997. They killed off the DOHC engine in the Grand Prix in 1996.

Jayhawk: Yeah, I've have been to Eat Wash with it. I've surprised a lot of kids in Japanese cars, my best moment was a third gear race against an SVT Contour (that's a high performance Mondeo to you Brits :D)

Engine pictures I can provide in the spring. Right now the engine is apart for even more upgrades. For now I'll include a link to some video of my autocross racing.

Beating a C5 Corvette in the wet during a practice session, my first wet track time ever

Last edited: