Ownership Verified: My 1996 NA M-Editlon MX5

cdbob

Car(s)
'09 STi (soon gone),'04 TDi, '96 MX-5 M
Well it looks the sti is on it's way out. I'm not a huge fan of the car, so I'm getting rid of it and replacing with this. Already I am in love.

Picked up tonight, no rust at all. The thing just needs a tune-up, and it will be good to go.

Car has 137,500 miles on it and I got it for $3100 off a farmer.

Will post pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yay :grin:

What was special about M-Edition? I've read it many years ago, but already forgotten.

Threethousandonehundred Dollars for a NA? From a FARMER? With 137k miles? And the car doesn't run right? That's steep...

Haven't you watched wheeler dealers? Mike would never give that much money for it. 2k maybe.

Could have gotten a better deal buying from our very own CraigB :)

Threethousandonehundred Dollars for a NA? From a FARMER? With 137k miles? And the car doesn't run right? That's steep...

Don't forget you are talking Canadian dollars not US - that's less than ?2200 or about ?1550. Mileage isn't high for its age and if it truly is rust free then an engine service and tune-up should make it a pretty decent buy.

Yeah, $3100 US would be over ?2800 which would make it over-priced but it sounds like about the right money as is to me. We will know for sure when we have more info about the car.

I'm with MWF - the price is fine for mileage and age, and also considering it's one of the very sought after M-Editions.

Now, if it would only be half the mileage, than a big price would actually be justified - over here a good NA costs more than a good NBFL with the same kilometers. And looking how some of the negleted NAs look, I think it's good that the value is going up for low mileage, all-original ones which don't require another 1000 quid to fix up...

Can't wait for pics. :)

There's also the fact that NAs are skyrocketing in price in the US.

18 months ago I could find them for 1k, easily. Now you struggle to find them for less than $3500.

He may have also actually meant to write 137,000 km, which would translate into around 80,000 miles. We will see.

He may have also actually meant to write 137,000 km, which would translate into around 80,000 miles. We will see.

Along those lines, I think he meant $3100 CAD. Which is roughly $2400 USD - a much more reasonable price for that.

Last edited:

The thing runs fine, it just has been sitting for a while so it's going to need a tune-up (nothing crazy)

Don't forget you are talking Canadian dollars not US - that's less than ?2200 or about ?1550. Mileage isn't high for its age and if it truly is rust free then an engine service and tune-up should make it a pretty decent buy.

Here in Canada MX5 prices are pretty high, this is one of the cheapest MX5s I found in looking for years on kijiji. Most cars in this range have major problems and lots of rust.

There's also the fact that NAs are skyrocketing in price in the US.

18 months ago I could find them for 1k, easily. Now you struggle to find them for less than $3500.

Same goes for here, only here even a few years ago even 1.6 liter NAs never really went lower than $2000 asking, now most people are asking $5000-$9000 (even for 1.6s)

No it's 137,500 miles, or about 222,222km.

Anyways after responding to a few things here are some pics, I need to wash the thing, wax it and clean the inside (full of mouse shit in the trunk.)

gm2BKuG.jpg

ILYyUhU.jpg

GVK51yl.jpg

zDBpdku.jpg

vPcv6OL.jpg

This is going to a summer only car since it's rust free, I don't want to drive the thing in crappy weather. Also once I have the STI sold I'm looking forward to putting a few upgrades on her and putting a rollcage in her.

I am loving the wooden gear knob and brake lever.:thumbsup:

Yay :grin:

What was special about M-Edition? I've read it many years ago, but already forgotten.

Im also curious, never saw this designation before

Im also curious, never saw this designation before

http://www.miata.net/faq/mfield.html

Special Features: Nardi wood shift knob, wood parking brake handle, 15" Enkei 5-spoke wheels with high-performance tires, M Edition floor mats, blue M Edition logo on seatbacks, M Edition stainless sill plates, ABS, air conditioning, Premium Sound System with CD player, door-mounted tweeters and headrest speakers, M edition logo on tachometer, exterior M Edition badge, M Edition key fob/badge/lapel pin, security system with remote entry and the Popular Equipment Package, which included: power steering, leather-wrapped steering wheel, power mirrors, alloy wheels, Torsen limited slip differential, rear sub frame brace, cruise control, power windows, power antenna

I'm going to put some pictures up soon, I'm working on replacing all the fluids, put new plugs and wires in the thing, and new filters (oil, air and fuel). After that the car is getting new brake pads, a battery bracket assembly, minor repairs on the top, seals for the top and then a new rad, timing belt, accessory belt, ac belt, water pump and thermostat.

After that I feel the car is solid and baselined pretty well. If anyone else can think of anything suggest it!

After this is done I'm going to work on getting the jetta in driving condition again, then this car is getting a bunch of suspension work.