Ownership Verified: My 1996 NA M-Editlon MX5

Update:

I'm trying to get this in reliable driving condition again as fast as possible, I'm still waiting on parts to replace the rad. In addition I'm going to be redoing every belt and pulley on the front of the motor, the water pump and clean the lifters.

This week I replaced all the fluids and filters on the car. (Engine oil, trans oil, diff oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, turret fluid, engine oil filter, air filter, fuel filter)

I also replaced the plugs.

The car ran fine before all this, but I wanted to establish a solid baseline for the car, so I can know exactly where a lot of things sit on it. Since the car is so cheap for parts and so easy to work on, it's different than a car like the STI.

I'm pretty excited for it and have quite a few upgrades planned once I have the sti sold. (Mainly coilovers, ARBs, new bushings in all the somewhat easy places, braided brake lines and frame braces)

Here are some pictures from today showing some of the work I've done. Pictures are from newest to oldest.

Car in the garage

DSC09089.jpg

New plugs and wires

DSC09088.jpg

Shot of top of the engine after I put the new air filter in (and degreased the entire engine bay)

DSC09087.jpg

Hard to see (and get to) new oil filter and the horn remounted (though turned to get to oil filter, since the wheels were not off at the time)

DSC09086.jpg

Shot of the diff after the oil change (still a bit left I have to clean off)

DSC09085.jpg

Shot of the transmission after replacing the oil

DSC09084.jpg

Another shot of the transmission (need to clean the excess oil from filling)

DSC09083.jpg

Last brake I did, and all the old brake fluid in the jug

DSC09082.jpg

Second last brake I did

DSC09081.jpg

Picture of the rear of the car, I have extensively cleaned and polished the car

DSC09080.jpg

Interoir back together after doing the oil in the shifter turret

DSC09079.jpg

Another picture of the brakes/ suspension, you can see some brake fluid I spilled on the ground

DSC09078.jpg

Picture of the current battery in the car (I still need to get a bracket for it and replace it with a gel battery that won't rust the trunk like this one did)
I plan on tackling this rust as soon as I have a new battery and bracket (going to grind all the rust off, prime it and repaint it)

DSC09077.jpg

Shot of one of the brakes after being done (as you can see I also need to powder coat the control arms and get some coilovers!)

DSC09076.jpg

Another picture of the underside of the car

DSC09075.jpg

Collection of different used oil (motor oil and filter in one, diff and trans oil in jug)

DSC09073.jpg

Picture of the underside of the car (bottle used for bleeding brakes)

DSC09071.jpg

Newer Fluid in Reservoir while bleeding the brakes

DSC09066.jpg

Old Brake Fluid in the reservoir

DSC09065.jpg

Putting new oil in the shifter Turret

DSC09063.jpg

Last edited:
Few more updates, this week I hope to clean out the lifters on the engine and replace the water pump, after I do that I can put the cams back in and put all the belts back on. I've been procrastinating quite a bit on this and I'm going to try and pick up the pace a little bit.

All of these is preventative maintainence, I could easily have not replaced the timing belt, but I opted know exactly the condition of engine rather than not know the condition of the top end of the motor.

DSC09092.jpg

New Fuel Filter

DSC09090.jpg

And old fuel filter

DSC09093.jpg

Drained Coolant out of rad

DSC09101.jpg

Plugs and wires coming out

DSC09102.jpg

Cam cover studs coming out

DSC09103.jpg

Cam cover coming off

DSC09109.jpg

Pictures of timing gears at TDC

DSC09114.jpg

Cover plate around timing gears coming off

DSC09110.jpg

Engine nearish to TDC (before being put to exact TDC)

DSC09111.jpg

At first I was going to lock the camshafts in place, but then I decided to clean out the lifters so I just took that whole thing off

DSC09113.jpg

Bolts out of cams and some cam bearings off

DSC09112.jpg

Picture showing progress on engine at same point

DSC09115.jpg

Camshafts removed from engine

DSC09118.jpg

Hydraulic lifters removed from engine

DSC09117.jpg

Picture showing engine minus cams and lifters

DSC09124.jpg

Covering the engine for the night

Last edited:
DSC09293.jpg

Old Water Pump

DSC09292.jpg

Water Pump out of engine

Madcat noticed my Crank Timing Belt Pulley has a chip in it from the photos, so I pulled it and I''m going to be putting a new one on when it arrives sometime this week.

DSC09294.jpg

Chipped Pulley and Keystock

DSC09291.jpg

Engine side (Also going to pulling and replacing that seal)

Hopefully I have everything I need to start putting this car back to together. All I have left is to clean the lifters and install the new water pump and I can starting putting her back together.

Man, I love how the valve covers look on your engine. My NC has tons of plastic crap that makes it look not so pretty.