My 1998 Subaru Outback

Bhatman

Car(s)
98 Subaru Outback(RIP), 02 Subaru Outback
Allow me to introduce myself and my car:

I am a student at Cal Poly: San Luis Obispo (SLO), CA and have had this Subaru since July 2008. I got it at around 99,000 miles and now have it at 103,000mi.

It been great to me so far as the HG's were done before I bought the car and so far ive put in a deck and swapped the stock Outback wheels for GT wheels and new rubber. Also replaced the leather seats with 06 WRX seats too(pics later).

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

This was taken at a meet in Davis, CA about a wk ago.
163.jpg

Yes! Another Subie :D

Good swaps so far, I'm sure the '06 seats are a very nice step up. Looks like she's had a couple encounters with some objects on the bumpers, plan to repaint/replace in the future?

which engine does it have ? Is it nice to drive ?

Either a 2.5L (DOHC) or a 2.2L (SOHC) the outback was sold with both...

Last edited:
It would be the 2.5L because it was the 2.5L that got sold with the bonnet scoop in America. The Americans (like the Aussies) missed out on the turbo charged variant for that generation of Legacy.

i could be wrong but i believe that all outbacks were sold with the scoop regardless of engine atleast in the states.

Yes! Another Subie :D

Good swaps so far, I'm sure the '06 seats are a very nice step up. Looks like she's had a couple encounters with some objects on the bumpers, plan to repaint/replace in the future?

Thanks! The seats are way more comfortable than the Leather GT's seats which were fitted in STOCK by the previous owner(I guess he didnt like the stock Outback seats either...). I was originally looking for 02 WRX seats, but usually there over 250.00 and I found these seats from an 06 owner just wanting to get rid of them.

When I got the car, the bumpers were already scratched up and I would like to fix those scratches, but since I park the car on a busy street and with also many college students I cant be bothered with it now.

It would be the 2.5L because it was the 2.5L that got sold with the bonnet scoop in America. The Americans (like the Aussies) missed out on the turbo charged variant for that generation of Legacy.

Yes it is the 2.5L. When I was looking for Outbacks I looked for ones that had already had the dreaded Head Gaskets done for the EJ25. Once the HG's are done on the 2.5 its pretty solid. Its a great engine and does well for gas mileage and AWD.

i could be wrong but i believe that all outbacks were sold with the scoop regardless of engine atleast in the states.

The 96 Legacies didnt have a hoodscoop, it was only a "Trim Package" for the Legacy L which had the outback two tone and such. Only in 1997 I think is when the Outback package included the hoodscoop. The scoop stock is only cosmetic and when the shroud is taken out of the scoop there is only some slight cooling.

Last edited:
Do you know a Ryan Coonan? Kinda tall, brown hair, glasses sudying Computer Science (I believe) at Poly? He's a friend of mine and a freshman there.

Update:

Now at 108,000mi and still running great(oil change and fuel filter are gonna need changing soon, but im doing that back in the Bay)

Also, its now lowered on WRX struts and springs...

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

Im no expert on Subarus, but what's the point of buying an outback (which is a higher legacy, isn't it) and then lowering it with new springs?

Im no expert on Subarus, but what's the point of buying an outback (which is a higher legacy, isn't it) and then lowering it with new springs?

I was under the impression that the outback was simply the legacy wagon.

Your car has far too many doors, and glass panes, and fenders, and seats. . .

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOLBtL26ohw&feature=channel_page[/YOUTUBE]

I was under the impression that the outback was simply the legacy wagon.

It is the Legacy wagon, but just with some cosmetic bits(two tone paint and badging) and suspension(taller struts) and a 2in lift I believe. (Newer outbacks can have the same color)

Ive always loved the outback suspension and height, but two things made me lower the car.

1. The WRX struts + STi spring combo has made the car not only stiff as hell, but also I can still carry the same amount of weight in the cargo bay,if not more as the STi was heavier by a slight amount.

2. My Outback struts were going on 100K+ and here in California I usually drive back and forth towards LA and have had no need for the height. So since I had got the parts cheap, I went for it.

Twerp - An Outbackamino? Sound interesting....

Welcome! :)

The HGs being done is probably the most important thing that should have been done, now that its out of the way you can do whatever you want.. have fun. :cool:

So do you attract lesbians like the stereotype says it should? :p

Ah a yr has passed...not much has changed... though the mileage has gone up to 119K mi. Im probably gonna do the transmission fluid and the brakes during the summer once school has ended. So far add ons have been front STi carbon fiber strut bar and e-bay rear strut bar and tints(help in the summer and night lol)

Got a buddy of mine to takes some pics of the car enjoy!

IMG_4881.jpg

wagon mafia!

IMG_4892.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

Ill get some interior shots+ the proof shot this wknd or so(although it would be odd for a dude to try and fake an outback...)

just being honest, up till the third generation Legacys, the outback was virtually the same as the legacy wagon except that it was lifted with a different front bumper and rear bumper. the panels were all the same on the legacy and the legacy outbacks. although i think later year 3rd gen legacys started to have add on parts to the doors to make it look like it had a thicker padding to match the larger wheel fender design - just a look, the wheel well is not actually bigger.
however, according to the legacygt forums, someone has managed to do a normal Legacy strut to outback mod that allowed the outback to have a lower stance just like the normal legacy wagons. it does make the car look better.....

and i only realised that australia did miss out on the turbo variants for the 2nd and 3rd gen legacys. since all the turbo ones have had Sti swaps in them instead of the traditional twin turbo boxer engine. australia apparently did not get the 2.5L turbo outbacks as well and only had the 2.5L n/a or the 3.0 H6 (at least for the 3rd generation).