Ownership Verified: My 2003 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA

9.74 l/100 km!!!

I know I'm filling my Alfa Romeo threads with useless fuel economy data, but the previous tank was 15.83 l/100 km. Such improve. Much range. So economy.

I dropped the car off at a detailer for a few days whilst I'm away (because I'm a lazy git and what-not). So when I return, it'll be much shiny. Such clean. Many coatings.

I completely demolished an ass-hat driving a new Focus ST yesterday morning on the way into the city. This guy was weaving in and out of traffic and cut me off twice (somehow falling behind me). He seemed to always get stuck behind someone. Normally, I don't give a toss about ass-hat drivers, but this guy just annoyed me. Three lanes merged into two ~100m after the intersection, so he was constantly prodding his throttle waiting for the red light to change.

I nailed the throttle and blocked him out from merging in front of me. He then proceeded to tail gate and high beam me. Much satisfaction.

V6>turbo4
<3

:lol:

a marginal bump in power to weight doesn't hurt either.

I get the same thing from hot hatch and entry-level executive saloon drivers in the VR6 Passat. They have no idea 0-100km/h is around the six second mark. Having a big six-cylinder is so much fun.

With all due respect, a turbo engine is even more fun in this scenario. Passengers don't expect anything dramatic, and they are correct for a second or two, and then the turbo spools up. I've had a few "oh wow"s from passengers who didn't expect this kind of forward motion from a boring looking sedan.

You just have to look at an Alfa 147 GTA and you just expect/know it will be fast.

Well not really... The GTA doesn't look that different to a normal 147, then there's the fact that it's a relatively unknown car. I think the average Australian petrol head wouldn't even know that it's got a V6. Then there's the fact that many people believe that Alfas are all show and no go. I reckon it would surprise quite a few people.

With all due respect, a turbo engine is even more fun in this scenario. Passengers don't expect anything dramatic, and they are correct for a second or two, and then the turbo spools up. I've had a few "oh wow"s from passengers who didn't expect this kind of forward motion from a boring looking sedan.

You just have to look at an Alfa 147 GTA and you just expect/know it will be fast.
Yeah, waiting for the turbo to spool up is always preferred to instant power.

And trust me, you can have all the stats and loks infront of you, but it kicks you in the nuts. The sounds and everything make it quite a thrill for anyone along for the ride. :p

Yeah, waiting for the turbo to spool up is always preferred to instant power.

I can think of very few every day driving situations where I have wished to have all the power instantly and at low RPMs.

I know the VR6s are fast, I've driven one of the older ones, but they just lack the surprise factor of the turbo kicking in. To each their own I guess.

And trust me, you can have all the stats and loks infront of you, but it kicks you in the nuts. The sounds and everything make it quite a thrill for anyone along for the ride. :p

I was mostly talking about the VR6. I have never been in an Alfa V6. I have only driven my cousin's old Alfa 33 with the 1.5 (I think...) and even that felt...special.

Oh, didn't read so well. :) Yeah, it's so out of this world, all the cracks and fizzes and just the sheer growl...no V6 is alike, dare I say it. :).

I know it's a repost, but it's worth it:

[video=youtube;ETSpaLqk-0U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETSpaLqk-0U[/video]

It's my birthday today and my car was detailed to look extra shiny.

These are terrible phone camera photos for now, but I'll have some better put together ones soon.

2014-03-05 19.07.32.jpg2014-03-05 19.35.38.jpg2014-03-05 19.36.01.jpg2014-03-05 19.36.25.jpg2014-03-05 19.36.42.jpg2014-03-05 19.36.57.jpg

oh my god

Ohh shiny. I wish my Alfa looked this pristine. Also happy birthday and many happy kms behind the wheel of your GTA :)

Well, it wouldn't be an Alfa without something electrical going wrong. The remote locking on the key fob seems to have ceased working. I've replaced the battery with no result. The central locking still works, as does the boot release button in the cabin. It's a little annoying as there is no boot release on the exterior of the car. I think this may be something the mechanic should look at as I really don't have an expertise in rooting around the electrical system.

Almost a week of this now, but it's not too bothersome. I just need to remember to lock the car whenever I leave it instead of clicking the now functionless buttons. I left the car unlocked the first day it broke (the key fob) at the station. From the time I left it in the morning to when I returned ~14 hours later it hadn't been stolen...so plus?

Every time I see you posted here I think: "Oh no. Something broke and he sold it/traded it for a Clio." :lol:

Speaking from experience, as I have now owned an Alfa 156 for many years, you should simply ignore it and it will start working again within two weeks. At least that's how it was for me. Or try standing next to your car and hold the unlock button for ~10sec. then release it and try locking/unlocking again. Look at the LED, if it is flashing fast it won't lock/unlock the car. Hope it helps and thumbs up for buying one of the best hot hatches ever made.... Mmmm that engine is pure awesome.

Well, it wouldn't be an Alfa without something electrical going wrong. The remote locking on the key fob seems to have ceased working. I've replaced the battery with no result. The central locking still works, as does the boot release button in the cabin. It's a little annoying as there is no boot release on the exterior of the car. I think this may be something the mechanic should look at as I really don't have an expertise in rooting around the electrical system.

Almost a week of this now, but it's not too bothersome. I just need to remember to lock the car whenever I leave it instead of clicking the now functionless buttons. I left the car unlocked the first day it broke (the key fob) at the station. From the time I left it in the morning to when I returned ~14 hours later it hadn't been stolen...so plus?