Ownership Verified: My 2003 E 220 CDI T

luokyio

Merc Maniac
Car(s)
CLS, CL, Scorpio
So, here we go again. I had the W204 for almost a year, which seems to be a long time for me. Car was excellent, no faults at all, I liked it a lot and really, really did not want to let it go. However it being a normal five-seater it could not accomodate our whole family of four kids. We already had the Voyager, but there is always a chance it may break down and then we'd be stuck and could not go anywhere during possible repairs.

Already having a MPV, I really did not want another one, since most of the time I'd be driving it alone. I had one trading offer to a 2006 V70 2.5t AWD with fold-down seats, but didn't quite reach a result about the money. Then on Nettiauto.com I spotted the car I bought, an S211 E 220 CDI T from 2003, model year 2004 with original fold-down seats in the boot. The company that was selling it agreed to take my C class and pay me an acceptable amount of money, so I went to test it.

It is an old taxi, but the first owner apparently retired and kept the car, as the annual mileage dropped dramatically after couple of first years, but he kept the car for 10 years. After him only one owner before me (not counting the sales companies in between). Service history is full until 2011, and only few receipts after that.

Apart from couple small issues (terrible windshield wipers and blown turn signal bulb) the car felt really solid. So I did do the trade.

I drove to the closest Biltema, bought a set of wipers and a package of turn signal bulbs, installed them and all small annoyances were gone. Even the rain sensor started to work properly.

Option list:

STEUERCODE WERK SINDELFINGEN / GRAZ
OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - FINNISH
MOBILO LIFE / EUROPE SERVICE PACKAGE
TYPE DESTINATION ON TRUNK LID - ELIMINATION
THROUGH-LOADING FEATURE
FABRIC
FABRIC - BLACK / ANTHRACITE
5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
FINLAND
AIR CONDITIONER
EUROPE
HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
BI-XENON HEADLAMPS FOR RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC
SERIES WHEELS WITH BROAD TIRES
PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W / TIE-DOWN HOOKS
HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
EMERGENCY SPARE TIRE (MINI SPARE)
BRILLIANT SILVER METALLIC
YEAR OF MODIFICATION
FOLDING BENCH SEAT IN CARGO AREA INCL. 2 AUTO -
SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
DYNAMO WITH HIGHER CAPACITY (FFO)
REINFORCEMENT PACKAGE
722.6__ 19961108 REINFORCEMENT PACKAGE
211____ 19,990,610 TAXI / RENTAL VEHICLE - REINFORCEMENT PACKAGE
ELECTR. PROVISION FOR HIRED CARS / TAXICAB
COC DOC., DELETION OF VEHICLE REGISTRATION DOC.

Due to the missing service history from last few years, I immediately got fluids and filter changed to engine and differential in ha drive-in service station. Differential oils were quite black, so it may very well be that they've never changed. They couldn't do a flush to the transmission and the brake fluids, so I booked a time for those too to another bigger garage to 4th of April. This has the SBC electric brakes, which makes regular fluid change really important. The SBC unit this has is manufactured in February 2012, so it's been replaced recently, which is nice to know, because it's freaking expensive.

Already I've driven 2 000 km with it, and I'm happy. So far the only thing I've noticed is the thermostat opening too soon, the engine temperature stays at 70?C, but I already purchased a new OEM thermostat, which hopefully fixes it.

Some quick terrible quality shots (I managed to break my Oneplus One :cry: and am still waiting for OPO 2 to arrive):

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

IMG_20160309_154019.jpg

What nags me the most is the lack of hands free and audio streaming. It had a microphone, but that's about it, the actual holder for the old Nokia 6310i is ripped off, so I took the antenna and mic out:

IMAG0012.jpg

I'm really tempted to order one of those Chinese Android 4.4.4 custom head units. They should work with the original steering wheel controls and send data to the instrument cluster like the OEM unit.

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Autoradio-DV...s-Benz-E-W211-OBD2-Screenmirror-/172078448860

Reactions: lip
Nice buy! W211s are among the most reliable mercs since 1994, so it should serve you a long time.
Friend of mine had one of those units for his E46, it worked as advertised, it just wasn't very stable at doing so. In the end he went back to the OEM stereo.

EDIT:
PS.
Don't forget the proof pic :)

Last edited:
A silver arrow! :lol:

Very like the honest steelies.
143/150hp in these, I assume?
445'000km! Wow!

How does the seating work then, do they have a third row?

By your fertility you need to buy a Mercedes bus soon. Thehe.

They're not steelies, they're alloys. Actually very light ones, only 6 kg/piece IIRC. "Toliman" is the official name. But yes, they look like steel wheels :) They have undersized (205/55R16, correct would be 225/55R16) studded tires with good tread left, but I fell in love with the studless tires with the W204, so I'll replace them anyway for next winter. Wrong size also makes the speedometer show 10 km/h wrong figures, which is annoying. Summer tires are on some aftermarket alloys, which I don't like. I'll try to source some OEM alloys, but if I don't find some cheaply soon, I'll install new summer tires on the Tolimans and search for new alloys for winter.

150 hp version yep. 445 000 km is actually on the low side for an ex taxi W211, it's not too uncommon to see one with 800 000 + km on the clock so I'm not worried too much.

mercedes-benz-e-7348875_l_86cbc5d23272ba06.jpg

Official rating for 55 kg * 2, so the car itself is registered for 5 passengers, but there's a mention of the seats for temporary use so they can be used normally. No-one actually knows what is really temporary use and what is not...

And no buses for me, 4 is enough, thank you very much:lol:

Last edited:
There are several of these in my town still being used as taxis.

edit: um, I seem to have left this post half-baked for whatever reason. What I meant to say that these cars are still in service with half a million km's or more on them. As taxis, 24/7.

Last edited:
Not steelies? I got fooled buy the looks of that thin outer rim. Sorry.

We test-drove a manual one with similar kilometre-age recently with frankiess. It felt super-solid even all these years. Recommended buy!

Thermostat replaced, and now temperatures stick at 92?C like it should.

I ordered that Android head unit, and did a quick installation.

First, does this count as proof or should I cram the screen through the gear lever to pass the rule?

image.jpg

Installation was easy, total plug'n'play. Biggest problem is the lack of space behind the head unit with the big adapters there. It is hard to get the unit all the way back, I ran out of time so it doesn't fit too well yet. I'll need to take it apart anyway, since that compartment door (electric) beneath the unit stopped opening. All the buttons work so it gets power at least...

IMG_20160329_185817.jpg

Quick first comments:

- Radion reception is bad
- Sound quality is about the same as the original, so no complaint
- Steering wheel controls work
- The LCD in the instrument cluster only shows the FM frequency, no RDS data. With Spotify it only says "No Audio"
- Screen resolution seems good enough
- Everything works smoothly and without any lag
- Boot time a bit under 30 seconds.

That head unit looks sweet! I wish there was something similar that fully cooperated with the COMAND system.

Got transmission fluids and coolant flushed today. Good news is that transmission oil had looked good, so at least they have been replaced at some point.

Bad news is that they found that the intake tube of air suspension compressor was loose and the compressor has had raw, unfiltered air... Which means that the compressor might die too soon. I hope not, as it is not too cheap.

Edit: on closer look, a new aftermarket compressor can be bought with 200-300 from ebay. Not bad.

Last edited:
So far some minor issues that have been tackled, otherwise going strong. Passed 450 000 km mark but didn't notice soon enough to get a photo. I'll have to get half-a-million photo though, which should be passed in about two years (if I keep this long enough).

Left xenon died some time ago. Got the bulb replaced, and still no luck. Ballast was dead, so I got new from ebay for 60 ? and it works again.

The prementioned compressor started giving error codes, so I got it replaced. 220 ? shipped new from eBay. Next problem in the suspension is the level sensor. Ordered a new part. Will be installed in the beginning of July at the same service as leaking front shock absorbers, front left bearing and couple worn bushings are replaced. After that it's MOT time.

I needed a tow bar, so I ordered a Westfalia detachable set from eBay, 441 ? shipped. Quite insane difference compared to 960 ? it would have cost locally, and not even in detachable form. So, I took the car for installation. Later they called me that "this already has a Kovil tow bar, it just lacks the hook..." Lesson learned, always double-check everything before ordering anything... <_< Well, as the hook was missing, they replaced it with the new tow bar, but left the original wiring. Pretty clean installation, I have to admit. Nothing is seen when the hook is detached and the electric socket tucked away behind the bumper:

IMG_20160618_072954.jpg

Now I just have to get rid of the electric set I have, hopefully someone buys it so I can redeem some of the unnecessary cost.

Last edited:
Nice buy. I do think these W211 wagons have aged really well. I'd be tempted to get one myself, but it will take quite a lot of convincing to get me into a 13 year old German car right now.

Bought something period correct to tow around and annoy other people.

IMG-20160702-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20160702-WA0018.jpeg

2004 Adria Adora 552 UK.

Last edited:
And it's made in Slovenia of all places.

Got shitload of parts replaced last Friday. Both front shock absorbers, rear brake pads, front left wheel bearing, air suspension level sensor, lower control arm and some more I cannot even remember. A bit over 1000 ? total bill. Went to MOT this morning and passed without complaints. Front brake power difference was 29 % out of allowed 30 %. Discs and pads are fine, so the inspector said the disc is probably a bit warped. Which I think is correct, as it vibrates a bit under braking.

Ready to take 1500 km roadtrip towing the Adria next week
smileys-camping-395416.gif

Last edited:
Trip went almost fine, averaging 12 l/100km. On the last 100 km car went twice to limp home mode, which was reseted by a reboot. EGR valve set a code, so I removed and cleaned it. Not too bad looking at all, but the valve itself seems to be completely stuck. Cleaning didn't help, so ordered a new valve. After it I'm very tempted to get the ECU programmed for 30 extra horsies and code out the EGR alltogether.

IMG_20160803_171612.jpg

Last edited:
I did the same treatment to the passenger side front lights as I did to Voyager, with Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer kit. The driver's side headlight was replaced a year ago, and it looked totally different (better) than the old, 13-year-old 450 000 km traveled headlight on the opposite side.

Passenger side:

IMG_20160806_144930
Compared to driver's side:

IMG_20160806_144934

After:

IMG-20160806-WA0023

Doesn't anymore pop up if you don't know it. A bit yellowish still but quite a lot better than before anyway. There is still some brightness difference though, I don't know if it is because of older xenon bulb or what.
IMG-20160806-WA0025

Last edited:
I think xenons brighness decreases quite a bit with time. They give a 2000 h lifespan for the ones on mine. If they are a different model on either side that could also give some difference in brighness and colour.