Ownership Verified: My 2015 911 Turbo Beetle

Latest mod, the DSC smart suspension control unit, an plug and play swap with the factory SCU located behind the rear seats under the carpet.

PSX_20200704_082950 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

PSX_20200704_083027 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

Works in conjunction with the car's built in accelerometer to actively control the PASM suspension rebound/damping at each corner individually (versus all four corners being told to behave the same way) on any given road conditions.

PSX_20200704_083142 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

PSX_20200704_083217 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

PSX_20200704_083251 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

PSX_20200704_083330 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

Results in much more comfortable, less jarring ride on bad pavement streets in comfort mode and much more planted ride in Sport mode when driving aggressively with less squat and dive during hard accel and braking.

PSX_20200704_082907 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

Got the chance to do the Owner Experience at the PEC LA this week. Was a total blast. Basically got to do all the regular courses one does in the drivers experience but instead of using their fleet cars we got to run the course in our own. Driving instructors instead of sitting shotgun would do instruction over the radio in their own chase/lead cars and they matched up cars in their fleets with the ones brought by customers, so 911 Turbo for 911 Turbo, GT3 for GT3, Carrera for Carrera, and etc...

PSX_20200903_154338 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

PSX_20200904_200146 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

DSC05262 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

DSC05254 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

DSC05263 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

DSC05259 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

I need a porsche.....

Anyone showed up in a carrera gt?
"Match this!" :D

Turned out my alignment was a bit out of whack after replacing my tires, so I made an appointment to get it fixed.

I ordered a set of Sharkwerkz 7mm front wheel spacers to reduce some of the 'tucked' in look due to suspension lowering.

Sharkwerkz 7mm front spacers by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

Before
DSC05609 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

After
DSC05610 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

Overall a subtle but market improvement in the front wheel stance

DSC05611 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

Mega improvement.

Volunteered my car for a friend's detailing business promo video and got a significantly discounted 5 yr Ceramic Pro paint treatment job done.

received_728166987809653 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

Plus the rear flank PPF were getting nasty from road tar and rock damage and had those pieces stripped and replaced with much larger PPF cutouts with better coverage of rear haunches.

received_1290912597937690 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

Someone asked me my comparison thoughts between my Turbo and the GT3RS given they are a similar power/weight ratio

Short answer:

Both have similar power to weight ratios if you look purely at the numbers, but the power delivery couldn't be more different. The true definition of linear vs turbocharged power delivery.

Long answer:

GT3RS: with its 9000 RPM redline and weighing around 300 lbs less than my Turbo (7200 RPM redline, its power delivery feels even more furious than my car when you rev it to redline. And my friend ditched the stock RS exhaust with an Akrapovic piece making it sound even more insane.

Basically, its a totally different visceral driving experience where its way more thrilling to drive at 8/10ths and above, and the linear power delivery is a more 'honest' feel than the Turbo. In my Turbo, its not seamless spooling of the turbos and you can feel when they kick in and at that point there is a brain disconnect between how far I push the throttle and how much acceleration is being produced, so its easy to go way faster than you realize. The only disconnect that is even more extreme is a powerful EV like a Tesla in Ludicrous mode for example.

With the N/A GT3 motor, I don't have this disconnect, wherever I press the throttle, the power delivery is where I expect it to be and makes sense, and I miss that direct feel in my Cayman (altho that had way less power and poor gearing).

Handling on the GT3RS of course, especially on twisties, there is not comparison, but I left traction control on in the mountains and it was still easy to drive at the pace I chose to (not being my car and being RWD with constant fear of stuffing it if I exceeded my talent limits).

So when driving HARD, the GT3RS is a much more fun experience, but anything less than that, it loses its charm and can become very tiring after prolonged seat time especially for this old man.

To use an analogy, if the Turbo and the GT3RS were two different friends:

The Turbo - that friend who can be the life of the party and switch it on when he needs to, but can also dial it back and be chill when you need that.

The GT3RS - that friend who is even more of a party rager than the Turbo and does nothing less than 10/10ths, but when the party is over, has no idea how to turn it off and becomes annoying AF in any other situation. When you're not in the mood to have fun, you want him to GTFO out of your house lol.

So this will come as a shock to many, but I decided due to multiple factors (lack of driving time due to family, work, and other circumstances) to put the 911 up for sale and I ended up finding a buyer last week for a pretty reasonable offer given the number of miles and condition.

So, farewell friend, its been a fun ride for the last 2 and 1/2 years but I had some great drives and met some cool people in the community, but its time for someone else to enjoy the car who has more time than me. To be honest, I've fallen out of the sports coupe thing and want to settle back into a fast luxury 4 door once again as my performance car.

But on the bright side, some interesting financial opportunities came up for me, so I've subsequently put in an order for a NEW fast car, but it's a build order and won't start assembly until summer and probably won't take delivery to the US until close to the end of this year.

I'll keep it a bit of a surprise until I get close to delivery time.

Attachments

• received_706280486732633.jpeg
    received_706280486732633.jpeg
    963.7 KB · Views: 58
Congrats on your new ID.4! :p

So this will come as a shock to many, but I decided due to multiple factors (lack of driving time due to family, work, and other circumstances) to put the 911 up for sale and I ended up finding a buyer last week for a pretty reasonable offer given the number of miles and condition.

So, farewell friend, its been a fun ride for the last 2 and 1/2 years but I had some great drives and met some cool people in the community, but its time for someone else to enjoy the car who has more time than me. To be honest, I've fallen out of the sports coupe thing and want to settle back into a fast luxury 4 door once again as my performance car.

But on the bright side, some interesting financial opportunities came up for me, so I've subsequently put in an order for a NEW fast car, but it's a build order and won't start assembly until summer and probably won't take delivery to the US until close to the end of this year.

Looking forward to the Panamera :D

I hope you enjoy your new Taycan! :p

a 2 Tesla family is just peak bougie you know?