Unverified Ownership My life with electric toasters (from Ioniq & Niro to Kona EV)

Re : commuted in cold weather : do you have an app to preheat the car? Or some sort of programming? My eGolf struggles to heat up while on the go after standing outside in freezing weather. But if I preheat it (while it’s still connected) it doesn’t cost me any range and it does a lot better mileage wise aswell, since it isn’t constantly consuming electricity to heat the cabin up.

Also, expect fuel consumption in the 20s as soon as it gets real cold (-5 or lower).

Yeah I can schedule pre-heating either from the dash menus or via the BlueLink app. These FL cars also have a heat pump which I think was only an option on the pre-FL cars if at all, so it should be more efficient in holding warm cabin temp than earlier heaters. I'm really interested in seeing minus temps energy consumption numbers, Hyundai's thermal management should be pretty good. I will not drive the car freezingly cold inside to save range, even if the heated steering wheel would probably help! Bon temps etc

So you're just telling us about a press car? :D

1632496171759.png

It's a private lease so I guess I could go with Someone Else's Problem, but since I'm also the legal guardian it's my problem :p

As someone who has never had any kind of remote controlled heating before, I can testify it's real nice to have. Of course I've gotten used to block heaters like every other Finn, but just tapping "turn on climate control and defrost" while you're brushing your teeth and have the car nice and toasty 15 minutes later is very convenient. Especially as I didn't even have the car plugged in for the night.

The HVAC system uses outside air which I find to be a lot more effective at actually drying the cabin compared to a space heater screwed to the dash. Of course you have a long commute, but I don’t, so my car doesn’t have a chance of drying out while driving. I’m always dragging in fresh snow under my shoes.

It’s been a decade since I last had to deal with a frosted over car. There’s a less than zero chance i’ll buy a car without remote heating ever again.

Yeah I definitely have to source rubber mats for the winter, thanks for reminding me!

The HVAC system uses outside air which I find to be a lot more effective at actually drying the cabin compared to a space heater screwed to the dash. Of course you have a long commute, but I don’t, so my car doesn’t have a chance of drying out while driving. I’m always dragging in fresh snow under my shoes.

It’s been a decade since I last had to deal with a frosted over car. There’s a less than zero chance i’ll buy a car without remote heating ever again.

In the land of artificially cheap fuel you can get remote start which is the same idea but using the engine and standard heater. “Newer” (my 2011 and 2012 Jeep patriots had this) cars will recognize remote start and using the outdoor air sensor determine whether heating should be blasted or A/C. In the cars mentioned above it didn’t use whatever settings you last had, rather for heating it was front window defrost vents with rear glass defrost, and A/C just the upper facing vents.

In the land of artificially cheap fuel you can get remote start which is the same idea but using the engine and standard heater. “Newer” (my 2011 and 2012 Jeep patriots had this) cars will recognize remote start and using the outdoor air sensor determine whether heating should be blasted or A/C. In the cars mentioned above it didn’t use whatever settings you last had, rather for heating it was front window defrost vents with rear glass defrost, and A/C just the upper facing vents.
I do that too without fuel! I keep the Mini in a garage ;)

With block heater: engine coolant warms up, warming the oil too so the start is more gentle to the engine, connected aux heater warms up cabin

With remote start: cold engine go KLEKLEKLEKLEKLE

With block heater: engine coolant warms up, warming the oil too so the start is more gentle to the engine, connected aux heater warms up cabin

With remote start: cold engine go KLEKLEKLEKLEKLE
Haha, Diesel engine go KLEKLEKLEKLEKLE

That video never gets old.

So, going back to heat pumps, I find them to be really good. I have one here in Florida, and it's way more efficient than electric heat. I know people who won't turn on their heat because it's electric down here, and for the couple months it gets cold at night, having the heat pump doesn't blow my electric bill into oblivion. Hopefully that means it won't decrease your range by too much!

Yeah I think it uses waste heat from the EV powertrain combined with heating elements, instead of relying just on those elements. This morning was a chilly 2°C and I got to work with just under 16kWh/100km average, but I did have the unplugged car heat up for 20min before I set off.

Yesterday I left work to drive directly to see Dune, and for experimentation I switched off the heat pump as outside temp was an acceptable 11°C-12°C. I also ended up driving almost the entire 60km journey behind a truck rig on ACC, doing under 90 km/h. The result: an indicated 11.8kWh/100km! That's a big chunk off my average 15.5kWh/100km consumption.

Of course in normal use I'll keep all heaters on for comfort as there aren't really any monetary savings to be had, but for preserving range it really pays to keep your speed down and heating to the minimum. It wasn't really that cold in the car either, just a cool breeze to the ankles.