Unverified Ownership My life with electric toasters (from Ioniq & Niro to Kona EV)

Maybe stating the obvious here, but the largest part of those savings will have been tailing the truck :D

To put this into perspective, a little math!
My car still has the old resistive heater - so all the heat energy that goes into the cabin is straight electricity from the battery. In winter (lets say ~5°C, lolwinterright?) when starting the drive, this resistive heater will pull its full 6 kW for a few minutes and then settle down once temperature is reached to maintain 20°C inside (I almost never touch this setting), which will result in an average power draw of about 1.2-1.5 kW. For the sake of easy math, let's assume avg 100 km/h, this would mean my average comsumption would go from about 16 kWh / 100 km to 17.5 kWh / 100km.
With a heat pump, one could realistically assume a COP of 3 (coefficient of performance - since "efficiency" should theoretically be below 100%). Thus, the power need for inside heating would drop from 1.5 kW to 0.5 kW. Meaning, for my example, I'd run 16.5 rather than 17.5 kWh / 100 km. It's definitely noticeable alright, but quite far from the improvement you've seen tailing that truck :)

edit: I'm assuming the ioniq will lose the same amount of heat through doors, windows and body as my t3 - although it's probably much better insulated, really. but then again, the magnitude of things doesn't change all that much (whether its 500 or 400 W, who cares) and a COP=3 at really low temperatures is quite generous.

Of course I didn't drive directly in the truck's bumper but at comfortable max ACC distance :p But yes, it is certain to help. Maybe I need to stakeout for a truck rig every time I commute!

For reference : my eGolf in summer / highway speeds wherever possible : around 14 kwh/100 km

In winter with heating and all the shizzle : around 20-25 kwh/100 kms depending on temperature

Checking the ‘current consumption’ tells me that the heater on full blast while stationary costs me 6 kw.

No heatpump though

Tried a public (heh) charger the first time today and a leisurely supermarket visit gave me a 7kWh charge at a cost of 1.40 eur, so less than a liter of diesel. Good for 50 km of today's driving judging by the 14 kWh/100km average today. Seems convenient enough too.

Tried a public (heh) charger the first time today and a leisurely supermarket visit gave me a 7kWh charge at a cost of 1.40 eur, so less than a liter of diesel. Good for 50 km of today's driving judging by the 14 kWh/100km average today.
That's quite a generous price, did you have to pay for parking at the supermarket? The local ones here have a parking charge and 30p (0.35 EUR) per kWh. Convenience is key.

You pay for parking at the supermarket??? Crazy…

Over here most supermarket chargers are still free (although more and more they require their app) - and Aldi is now putting 150 kW chargers (or 2x75 - the small hypercharger) on their lots!
Sadly my usual Aldi was outfitted during the pilot phase years ago with a crap 20kW efacec that I’ve never experienced with a functional DC side (so 11 kW AC it is).

You pay for parking at the supermarket??? Crazy…

Over here most supermarket chargers are still free (although more and more they require their app) - and Aldi is now putting 150 kW chargers (or 2x75 - the small hypercharger) on their lots!
Sadly my usual Aldi was outfitted during the pilot phase years ago with a crap 20kW efacec that I’ve never experienced with a functional DC side (so 11 kW AC it is).
In this town the public chargers are all (5) in a single council car park rather than in any private supermarket car parks so yep, it's pretty stupid. Aldi here doesn't have chargers yet. This town is really far behind now, as is the city I sometimes commute to. It's not hard to see why I'm looking to move on from the Tesla.

Reminds me that I need to tell the story of trying to use BP 150kW chargers on my travels last week...

No, parking is free at the supermarket lots although some markets on the city centre side require a parking disc. But 0.20eur/kWh for a registered user with a loyalty card isn't bad. Could be double and it'd still be cheap.

Edit: charging spots are mostly available at hypermarkets, supermarkets and some service stations, and a big parts store chain also offers complimentary slow charging or cheapish fast charging. The fees vary a little, I guess @luokyio and @Galantti are more knowledgeable about them. 0.20eur/kWh is a common price, some charge 0.20eur/min for fast charging but that's a different ball game due to variations in charging abilities.

Last edited:
This probably comes as a surprise to Absolutely No One, but I'm really enjoying the level of automated/convenience features in the atomic toaster now. It's probably because nearly everything I've owned has been base spec in one way or the other, but it's really great to have adaptive cruise, automatic headlights with high beam assist, automatic wipers - everything working together so you can just focus your attention on steering the car and looking ahead. I do also have lane keeping assist but I tend to switch it off so it doesn't tug the wheel. I only wish I could have all of these in a more pronouncedly comfy car, but that would probably mean a higher energy consumption, the Hyundai is shaped like a computer mouse and low to the ground for a reason. At least the tires aren't a ridiculous size.

I don't even mind it being "automatic", because there really aren't any gears so you're never waiting for it to shift, it just goes. And driving to work in the rain today the Ioniq was fine in terms of stability and comfort, partially because of those driver assist features. It wasn't even too windy so it didn't twitch as much as earlier in the week. Steering feels fine on the open road too.

BTW, the Sapporo (built 1987) did have a decent "suite" of features: A/C, cruise and speed adaptive wipers. The controls were also grouped together near the steering wheel for fingertip control, much like today's buttoned wheels. I only needed to take my hand off the wheel to adjust stereo volume.

XtyUIlj.jpg

24vjITC.jpg

The Ioniq now rides on the complimentary winter tires. I kind of wished the car would have come with two sets of original wheels, but it seems the importer sources Dezent wheels for winter use. Luckily I had gotten used to the noticeable road noise from the summers already, so the studded Contis aren't a huge downgrade in noise levels.

txmuOB8.jpg

The first electric bill we got in EV Time is about the same as last year's bill (four euros of difference, same kWh price), and I only charged the car for half of the billed month. Can't really make any real comparisons yet.

This probably comes as a surprise to Absolutely No One, but I'm really enjoying the level of automated/convenience features in the atomic toaster now. It's probably because nearly everything I've owned has been base spec in one way or the other, but it's really great to have adaptive cruise, automatic headlights with high beam assist, automatic wipers - everything working together so you can just focus your attention on steering the car and looking ahead.
My exact thoughts going from the 2012 Miata to the 2021 Mini Cooper S.

Yes, adaptive cruise in particular is awesome when you're sharing a 1+1 road with Nissan Qashqai drivers. The car just takes care of things and the only annoying bit is when the Qashqai brakes for no reason and your car acts accordingly, taking you out of your slumber. :p

The winter speed limits have been put into place, so highway driving is now done at 80km/h instead of the full 100. This of course comes with efficiency benefits, as I was able to do a 200km drive home from the east at 12.9kWh/100km indicated.

I also did a bit of charging and supermarket 22kW chargers are nicely cheap at 15 cents per kWh, even if my car can only extract it at 7.2kW. This would make shopping trips tediously long, but the small town in question has so few EVs driving around that I didn't feel bad about leaving the car charging for a couple hours and doing a nice long walk looking at the lakeside. Especially as someone at the local paper was so impressed at finally seeing an EV in the town that they took a picture and posted it on the paper's social media :D

I did also try rapid CCS charging at a bigger service station near our destination, just to see what it's like, but the best speed I could muster with a 42% full battery was 32kW, and that came down a bit in the 20 minutes that I paid for. At 23 cents per minute, it wasn't expensive, but the Ioniq is best suited for my sort of driving that's just commuting from a cheap slow charging spot to another. But the 400km round trip was convenient and cheap enough for me that the only minus are the pretty crappy headlights, otherwise it's perfectly useable for this particular route.

Related: I've also noted that my commute only now requires 25% of battery instead of the usual 30%, all thanks to lower speeds.

Well that's my idea about EV's causing speed limits to be revised up gone for good :p

They will only be revised to be lower as it'd be good for range and thus keeping the charging points less crowded!

Well that's my idea about EV's causing speed limits to be revised up gone for good :p
I'm not sure if there's any evidence that the 2-speed system Audi uses helps reduce consumption at higher speeds but I haven't given up hope yet!