My 370Z

Nice looking racing hen.

True. gear changes are pretty quick. don't think I could switch alot faster

it has 7 gears but I don't really call the 7th a gear. I mean if I go from 6 to 7 the revs go down about 100-150 revs. don't even know why they bothered

That's because it's not a true 7th gear, it was made to act like an overdrive, kind of like Mercedes's 7G-Tronic.

An example of a car that fully utilises all 7 gears for performance would be the E60 M5 with SMG III

Last edited:
it has 7 gears but I don't really call the 7th a gear. I mean if I go from 6 to 7 the revs go down about 100-150 revs. don't even know why they bothered

7th gear revs should drop by over 10% compared to 6th. Should save some fuel and noise on longer highway journeys.

Compared to that, shifting from 5th to 6th is a drop smaller than 14%. In real numbers, if you're doing 3000rpm in 5th then you'd do 2580 in 6th and 2300 in 7th. Assuming your engine is most efficient in the lower 2krpm area then dropping from 2580 to 2300 will give a noticeable drop in fuel.

We've been over this plenty of times - automatics/DSGs/whatever are faster than manuals, yes. Stick-shift is more fun though for some people. Even the OP said that he'd prefer to have a manual. Eight grand is a lot of coin though... and as much as I don't like seeing automatic sports cars, wtf do I care about what he drives? Its a sweet car and he seems to like it... good for him!

I find it funny that all the pro-auto posters here appear to ignore the kinesthetic aspect to manual gearboxes, which is the physical sensation of depressing the clutch pedal and shifting gear manually, and getting feedback from your car on how you succeeded in that task. It's a psychological thing, a preference thing, and likely the basis for the "driving gods choose manuals" mantra. In other words, it's an important property of the option. You can't persuade a manual driver to choose an automatic gearbox with how well it performs in numbers, because numbers aren't the point of it.

I recall a recent conversation with Pry where he was adamant that the superiority of an engine is a strict case of efficiency (most power and torque from least amount of fuel burned), when in fact, in reality, there's a whole individually psychological realm to choosing a certain type of engine. That aspect includes all the visual, aural and kinesthetic properties of the presented options. It's why I'd choose a similarly powered V8 over a straight six, for example.

Some call this madness, I prefer to call it individualism. Companies have come up with the concept of "choice" in the market in order to satisfy the needs of individuals with varying needs. Jay Leno often goes on about gearboxes in his videos, saying that he respects the dynamic abilities of a modern automatic or semi-automatic gearbox, but he'll still go for a manual any day of the week.

As for this 370Z, the OP's made it very clear he didn't have a choice (the demo car was the way it was), and I sympathise because I wanted a manual version of my car as well, and mine was automatic, while otherwise it was perfect. Sometimes we just have to compromise.

I recall a recent conversation with Pry where he was adamant that the superiority of an engine is a strict case of efficiency (most power and torque from least amount of fuel burned), when in fact, in reality, there's a whole individually psychological realm to choosing a certain type of engine. That aspect includes all the visual, aural and kinesthetic properties of the presented options. It's why I'd choose a similarly powered V8 over a straight six, for example.
I'm just thinking that in the future smaller FI engines will replace the larger N/A engines in the mainstream cars. Maybe not in the cheapest cars because FI systems are quite expensive but in premium market cars like Merc's especially if they want to be competitive. There just isn't going to be enough market for the huge N/A V8's in that segment. In practice no one rich enough to buy a V8 Merc with a super high taxation isn't going to want a daily driver with a ridiculously high fuel consumption and high pollution levels compared to the competition.
Sure there will be small scale automakers making sports cars with big N/A engines for enthusiasts.
What comes to the manual transmission you can't get one today even in a Ferrari (458). WTF?

Maybe this is a wrong topic for this. Whatever.

==> ryyb

I will always like big engines. screw making everything smaller, more eco and shit.

this winter makes me think they are overreacting about polution and global warming it hasn't been this cold for over 20 years

I'm just thinking that in the future smaller FI engines will replace the larger N/A engines in the mainstream cars. Maybe not in the cheapest cars because FI systems are quite expensive but in premium market cars like Merc's especially if they want to be competitive. There just isn't going to be enough market for the huge N/A V8's in that segment. In practice no one rich enough to buy a V8 Merc with a super high taxation isn't going to want a daily driver with a ridiculously high fuel consumption and high pollution levels compared to the competition.
Sure there will be small scale automakers making sports cars with big N/A engines for enthusiasts.
What comes to the manual transmission you can't get one today even in a Ferrari (458). WTF?

Maybe this is a wrong topic for this. Whatever.

==> ryyb

They said the same thing in the 80s. Over here in the US there have never been a displacement tax. Hence the large displacement engines. This is also a reason why American V8s are unbeatable in power/weight ratios at the ~400lbs range.

i'm still waiting for an auto/ manual gearbox to be invented.. kind of gearbox where you'll be able to simply choose type of transmition you want to use.. auto when you're lazy and manual when ou go ninja.. :D

oh, and GREAT car, btw ;) i wouldn't mind that automatic.. :)

DSG. No clutch pedal, bit it is a manual.

DSG. No clutch pedal, bit it is a manual.

i know :D but you get what i mean.. manual transmition WITH clutch pedal and automatic option when wanted.. ;)

They said the same thing in the 80s. Over here in the US there have never been a displacement tax. Hence the large displacement engines. This is also a reason why American V8s are unbeatable in power/weight ratios at the ~400lbs range.
Over here we have a CO2 emission based taxation for cars. Basicly large N/A V8's pollute more than a similarly powered FI V6's. You can compare Audi S5 to S4. The taxation was the main reason I didn't buy a S5 or a M3 instead of the 335i.
Maybe I just like small engines :rolleyes:

same here. but here they also tax on the HP

if you have over 200 hp you get the maximum tax which is 5000 dollars.

So here its car+CO2 tax+HP tax+insurance

and it would be interesting to have a hybrid transmission

normal manual stick with 6 gears + back. but there is something like a seventh gear position where you can put it on automatic.

or just a button

Last edited:
Over here we have a CO2 emission based taxation for cars. Basicly large N/A V8's pollute more than a similarly powered FI V6's. You can compare Audi S5 to S4. The taxation was the main reason I didn't buy a S5 or a M3 instead of the 335i.
Maybe I just like small engines :rolleyes:

Well that explains your Dodge. :p You must be raped on that thing.

Last edited:
Sweet car man. So what if it is an auto? Still an awesome cruiser. Yeah manual's more fun because it engages more from a driver. But he got a sweet 370z 8000 off of retail price. that right there, friends is a bargain.

Btw, car revs to 4500 rpm only?

That was a pic of the Megane CCs interior, which I'm assuming is a diesel.

Indeed. since people were raping me for not proving the megane was mine I took that picture but since I am using the same number plate I think proving the megane was mine is evidence enough.

Oh thank god. My mistake. I should've known better. This is thoroughly embarrassing.