My 89 Merkur XR4Ti

Some were built in Brazil, others in the US is what I'm led to believe.

I actually did some work on the car! I felt it was being neglected so I made some time on Saturday to put the head back on. The weather was just so nice I couldn't say no to being outside. I haven't snapped any pictures yet, but I'll try and get some this afternoon. Lifting that anvil of a head (without a cherry picker) was a really big hold up. I just didn't want to do it. But, now that that obstacle has been cleared, hopefully I'll be more inclined to work on it.

So yea, pics tonight :D

Don't worry the American ones were RWD unlike the FWD Euros.

:p

Last edited:
My goal is to beat Posmo :p

Here are some pictures

PC110148.jpg

PC110149.jpg

PC110150.jpg

PC110151.jpg

PC110152.jpg

I realized I had done a little work since I last posted, judging by the pictures. I cleaned up the intake and mounted it to the head before I dropped it on the motor. This made the heavy SOB even heavier and as a plus unbalanced.

First I removed the hood, then hooked a chain around the cam and slid a 2x4 through the chain and with the use of a roomate, lowered it onto the motor. Even doing it that was was a pain in the ass. Somehow I actually pulled the damn thing off by myself when I was removing it. Not sure how I managed that...

Those are some heavy heads. When I did the head gasket on mine awhile back I just made everyone stand back while I wrestled it in and out. My back was sore after that.

Glad to see you working on it again. If I wasn't 300 miles away I would definitely lend a hand.

My goal is to beat Posmo :p

The battle is on!

To the victors goes the spoils of war:

5288_123665894685_626034685_2239800_673498_n.jpg

*Picture courtesy of Ironlord, the most metal of us all.

thanks for fixing up my future daily driver. I really appreciate it.

Those are some heavy heads. When I did the head gasket on mine awhile back I just made everyone stand back while I wrestled it in and out. My back was sore after that.

Glad to see you working on it again. If I wasn't 300 miles away I would definitely lend a hand.

300 ain't so bad :p

The battle is on!

To the victors goes the spoils of war:

5288_123665894685_626034685_2239800_673498_n.jpg

*Picture courtesy of Ironlord, the most metal of us all.

YES.

thanks for fixing up my future daily driver. I really appreciate it.

I think you're mistaken, this one can be your future daily driver.

DSC_0434.jpg

Could use an engine though.

Like a peripheral port 4 rotor?? :D

^ Weren't the XR8s four door Sierras?

5-door. And only in the South African market. Anway, good to see that you're working on it again. I'd really like your side mouldings though :( Also, you have the advantage of having nice weather outside. :p Make sure you make a better intake manifold/plenum, and fit a FMIC before you start upping the boost.