Ownership Verified: My 98 Buick Park Avenue Ultra

Nabster

Has Slutty Mustangs
DONOR
Car(s)
1969 Mustang Coupe, 2019 Mustang GT, 2011 F150
PB doesn't carry spare fuses? I have 4 little tins of fuses in my GPs glove box. And two spare lugnuts.

Clegko

DONOR
Car(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado, 1968 Mercury Monterey
Apparently not... not a proper car owner, right?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

EyeMWing

Car(s)
Many things, none of them working.
PB doesn't carry spare fuses? I have 4 little tins of fuses in my GPs glove box. And two spare lugnuts.
It was one of those stonking huge fuses the size of the tins of little fuses.

It was also touch and go for a few minutes whether we were going to have to knock him out for power steering parts :p

Last edited:

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
98 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Don't be so sure if you had gotten the drop on me that you could have begun pilfering parts, I guarantee you the Buick would have have given up anything very easily.

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
It's been a year since the last update, so I figured it was time. The last set of strut mounts I had installed before Summit Point last year wound up going out while on the way there, and I just decided to deal with the noise. That was until last week when I finally broke down and picked up a new set of quickstruts. A whole new unit already assembled, just 5 bolts to put one on or take it off. I also had a new set of Moog springs installed in the back to replace my tired and sagging original ones. And finally I had a new supercharger belt put on because the current one was cracked and on the way out.

So with the new suspension bits, the car is riding like a dream and should be ready for 2,000+ miles I'll be putting on it next month for LeMons.

Wizegui

Car(s)
'93 Toyota Tercel, '01 Swagger Wagon
What happened to the rear wheel cap thing? Car looks fantastic!

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
I lost it somewhere at the LeMons at Nelson Ledges back in 2009. The pits there are a complete fucking nightmare of potholes.

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
I'm proud to report that the Buick gave me no trouble on the latest LeMons trip, which wound up being over 1900 miles total, but I did have to make one minor repair after I got home. I found out that one of my tail lights was burned out, but with a couple dollars at the parts store and few minutes with a socket wrench, everything is good to go again.

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
The Mighty Buick crossed the 150,000 mile mark last week. I went to my bank this morning to get a new license plate sticker (my bank sells them so you can avoid dealing with the DMV), and much to my surprise they said they couldn't give me one because my car needed an emissions test. I could have sworn I got one last year and normally they send you this giant yellow card in the mail letting you know when you're due. But due to budget cuts they're no longer sending them out, the only notice you get is on the renewal form. So I had to trek across town to the only remaining testing center in the area and get the test run, and as expected the Buick passed without a single issue. Once it cleared their computer system I was able to buy the sticker and slapped it on before I left the parking lot. A bit of a pain in the ass but it could have been much worse.

The car is due for an oil change, but I haven't really been up to crawling under the car with how my back has been feeling lately. Hopefully I can get it done this weekend.

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...
I found out that one of my tail lights was burned out, but with a couple dollars at the parts store and few minutes with a socket wrench, everything is good to go again.
:lol: Sorry, but if one of my tail lights would be burned out, it's just a clip which is holding the light assembly in place so it's not a few minutes but a few seconds to change them. ;)

Regarding the current ongoings: I like that over here in Germany the emissions test is now part of the the general inspection (every two years) so you can't forget one if you do the other. My car is due in September and I don't have the slightest worry it won't pass.

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'10 RX-8 R3, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
I was surprised by the tail lights in my mother's Porsche Boxster given the servicing "issues." Just reach into the trunk, grab, and pull. The whole assembly pops right out and the bulbs themselves are clip-in.

I haven't had to investigate the setup in my own car yet, though. It seems pretty normal to need a wrench :dunno:

ChuckMoritz

Car(s)
W124 230E
It seems pretty normal to need a wrench :dunno:
I didn't need a wrench to change a bulb ever, but skoda supposedly find it funny to put the fuse box 1 cm in front of the clip-on cover. And in the Opel there was no other way but to unplug the ECU <_<

But I've heard that with a honda accord you have to take off the whole front bumper, so its not that bad :D

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
:lol: Sorry, but if one of my tail lights would be burned out, it's just a clip which is holding the light assembly in place so it's not a few minutes but a few seconds to change them. ;)

Regarding the current ongoings: I like that over here in Germany the emissions test is now part of the the general inspection (every two years) so you can't forget one if you do the other. My car is due in September and I don't have the slightest worry it won't pass.
It's just a different design, with my car there's 3 bolts holding the assembly to the body which need to be removed so you can take it off and then change out any burned bulbs. The whole job is less than 2 minutes start to finish.

As for the inspection, my state only requires an emissions test, which is just plugging into your ODBII port. So long as your check engine light isn't on you'll pass guaranteed, there's no "go fix your tie rod and replace your tires, then come back" crap to deal with.

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
You call that crap, I call it "forcing idiots to keep their cars roadworthy".
You look at it that way, I look it as not forcing a working single mother of two to spend money she already doesn't have. I have seen some utter death traps out on the road, including some post crash cars that went down the road crooked, but I can understand the situation the driver very well might be in.

Hbriz

Ballroom Blitz
Car(s)
'07 Megane dCi
When that same single mother of two aquaplanes into a tree because she's driving a death trap on bald tyres and has no idea about it, it might not be considered 'crap'.

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
When that same single mother of two aquaplanes into a tree because she's driving a death trap on bald tyres and has no idea about it, it might not be considered 'crap'.
It was not my intention nor did I want to get a debate started on this topic, so lets just let it go.

skippious

Car(s)
F250
Nice car, like the color too. I had a Chevrolet Lumina euro sedan in a similar color.

Last edited: