Ownership Verified: My All American Gal

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
So here she is. My 1965 Rambler American 330 Wagon.

It's got the 199 i6, which is a great motor. Super reliable and a direct forefather of the legendary 4L Jeep motors.

It's pretty basic, manual steering, manual brakes, roll up windows. It's got a power tailgate window that's kinda cool though.

Needs some work, but for $1000 who's arguing.

So far I've changed the oil, repaired/reinstalled the radiator, fixed the highbeam switch (which has promptly broken again) and polished a bit of the trim which suffers from large amount of overspray. I also made some seat covers a la Mexican blankets.

It still needs some front end work. Upper control arm bushings, wheels bearings, it needs a new passenger side front drum and new idler arm bushings.

After all that is done, I'd like to lower it, or perhaps put it on airbags. Make it a bit more of a ratrod style surf wagon.

P1010336.JPG
P1010337.JPG
P1010338.JPG
P1010341.JPG
P1010342.JPG

And yes, I know the pics are terrible, it was my attempt at artsy photos, but the sun was facing the wrong way and I'm not feeling very well today, so they suck.... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice car. Surprised it was in that good of a condition, most of the Ramblers rusted out long ago. I especially like the Vise-Grips replacing the knob. :D

However:
1. I would go check the documentation if I were you - Rambler Americans were made in Kenosha, Wisconsin, but most Canadian-sold ones were actually made at the AMC plant in Brampton, Ontario. If yours was a Brampton car, it's not exactly 'all American.' :mrgreen:
2. Some Mexican called, he wants his serape back. :D

Yah, this car was built in Brampton, so I suppose you're right. :p

Odd coincidence, my friend's Grandfather actually helped design the plant where this car was built.

Cool car, but apparently lazy designers? you can lop off the wagon bit and it looks perfectly like a sedan :p

Still, cool car

I love it!

Awesome car! :)

That is seriously cool :)

Are you gonna restore it back to original condition or modify it?

What switch does the vise grip operate, and are the front brakes discs or drums?

The vise grips are for the wipers. I really do need to find a proper switch for that... haha.

It's manual drum brakes all the way around. Fun stuff.

And yes, I know the pics are terrible, it was my attempt at artsy photos, but the sun was facing the wrong way and I'm not feeling very well today, so they suck.... :lol:

go back tomorrow? who knows she might shine from the other side ;)

Make sure you have your will ready. :p

Nice car. Surprised it was in that good of a condition, most of the Ramblers rusted out long ago. I especially like the Vise-Grips replacing the knob. :D

However:
1. I would go check the documentation if I were you - Rambler Americans were made in Kenosha, Wisconsin, but most Canadian-sold ones were actually made at the AMC plant in Brampton, Ontario. If yours was a Brampton car, it's not exactly 'all American.' :mrgreen:
2. Some Mexican called, he wants his serape back. :D

If it's from Brampton, it's more Indian/far east than Canadian or American.