Ownership Verified: My Brooklands Green sports saloon...

Good guy Anglia.
ggang.jpg

:tease:

But only because none of the said electrics actually have an effect on the working-ness of the car. :D

1. Don't use repop BL parts. That's sticking a replica of an almost broken part on to replace a broken one.
2. Don't use NOS BL parts. That's sticking a factory almost broken part on to replace a broken one.
3. Use a modern starter: http://www.britishstarters.com/Home.html
4. Use a modern ignition: http://www.pertronix.com/ or http://www.newtronic.co.uk/new/main.php/lumeni
5. Fit a modern alternator: http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=techni&action=print&thread=139910 (don't forget to replace your charging cables)
6. Watch a lot of your BL-derived crappyness go away. Doing much of anything else is just an exercise in futility.

It's definitely getting electronic ignition and a better alternator, not sure if I can get a better starter for it.

The local garage bled/filled the hydraulic clutch fluid, the car is now drivable but the biting point is still very low and the pedal has to be hard to the floor, with with the carpets removed. It's usable with some double clutching and rev matching but nowhere close to the level it was before it failed. Reading on the TDC forums seems to suggest this is a common problem and is caused by the design of the system trapping air above the bleed nipple.

My car has also gone from showing every sign of running too rich to showing all the signs of running too lean. Uneven spluttery idle, will pick up for a while when revved but if left sitting without choke I'm fairly sure it'll just stall out. It also died on me driving home today when I pulled over to take a photograph, as soon as the engine should have sat at idle it just cut out. Wouldn't start until it had cooled down, I suspect fuel starvation caused by evaporation in the carb, I've had this problem before when the engine is warm.

It's definitely getting electronic ignition and a better alternator, not sure if I can get a better starter for it.

Um... There's a link right there to the guy who sells them. They're cheaper than the Lucas starter in many cases.

The local garage bled/filled the hydraulic clutch fluid, the car is now drivable but the biting point is still very low and the pedal has to be hard to the floor, with with the carpets removed. It's usable with some double clutching and rev matching but nowhere close to the level it was before it failed. Reading on the TDC forums seems to suggest this is a common problem and is caused by the design of the system trapping air above the bleed nipple.

Or driving it with failed hydraulics causing greatly accelerated clutch wear.

My car has also gone from showing every sign of running too rich to showing all the signs of running too lean. Uneven spluttery idle, will pick up for a while when revved but if left sitting without choke I'm fairly sure it'll just stall out. It also died on me driving home today when I pulled over to take a photograph, as soon as the engine should have sat at idle it just cut out. Wouldn't start until it had cooled down, I suspect fuel starvation caused by evaporation in the carb, I've had this problem before when the engine is warm.

Or vapor lock/fuel pump failure.

Biggest issue to reliability on some Anglias is vapor lock, caused by the design of the inlet manifold. Strange thing is, only some cars suffer from it, while others don't. Modern fuels have a tendency to cause vapor issues, unfortunately.

Certainly sounds like it's lean to me. I don't know what the setup on your carb is but I know when I fitted the Weber to the Series III it was a case of setting the low speed mixture until the engine was at optimum idle speed and then adjust the idle screw after that. Maybe you need to tweak the idle screw first. I also had hot start problems which I put down to evaporation at first, but in the end it was the coil that was at fault.

Having talked to a local garage of the sort the has a good turn over of geriatric motors I've been advised to loosen the tappet clearances a bit. Given the generally tired state of the engine setting the clearances to factory settings may well be causing the rough idle and problems with starting.

With this in mind I set to work, taking off the door mirror for a new coat of matt black, and fitting a slightly better radio (one with an aux input) to use until I get my Radiomobile/surround sorted. Can't do any engine work as the car is sat on the street at the moment where working on it is A: illegal and B: subject to the whims of the weather, which have consisted of a strong breeze and sporadic rain.

Was hoping to have it usable for Drive It Day, but that's tomorrow and although the car is drivable I don't want to risk damaging the valves due to over tight clearences, it's also forecast to rain all day.

Last edited:
Having talked to a local garage of the sort the has a good turn over of geriatric motors I've been advised to loosen the tappet clearances a bit. Given the generally tired state of the engine setting the clearances to factory settings may well be causing the rough idle and problems with starting.

With this in mind I set to work, taking off the door mirror for a new coat of matt black, and fitting a slightly better radio (one with an aux input) to use until I get my Radiomobile/surround sorted. Can't do any engine work as the car is sat on the street at the moment where working on it is A: illegal and B: subject to the whims of the weather, which have consisted of a strong breeze and sporadic rain.

Was hoping to have it usable for Drive It Day, but that's tomorrow and although the car is drivable I don't want to risk damaging the valves due to over tight clearences, it's also forecast to rain all day.

What?

Strange law. What if you are broke down on the side of the road and just need to fiddle with it a bit to get going again?

"5)A person is also not to be convicted of an offence under this section in relation to any works if he proves to the satisfaction of the court that the works carried out were works of repair which?

(a)arose from an accident or breakdown in circumstances where repairs on the spot or elsewhere on the road were necessary; and

(b)were carried out within 72 hours of the accident or breakdown or were within that period authorised to be carried out at a later time by the local authority for the area."

You missed a bit:

(3)A person is not to be convicted of an offence under this section in relation to any works if he proves to the satisfaction of the court that the works were not carried out?

(a)in the course of, or for the purposes of, a business of carrying out restricted works; or
(b)for gain or reward.

(4)Subsection (3) does not apply where the carrying out of the works gave reasonable cause for annoyance to persons in the vicinity.

Admittedly having the word 'court' in there makes this a bit more complicated, but if you're clearly working on your own car it's not worth their time. Unless someone has complained, of course. It does make me wonder about the army of mobile tyre fitters, windscreen fitters, mobile welders, etc. that seem to be breaking this law due to the nature of their job.

I have always worked on the Land Rovers outside in our dead-end part of the road, never had a problem. No intention of doing anything else either.

Last edited:
You can't repair a vehicle on a public highway.

Probably wouldn't get caught but the neighbours aren't happy with our household having 4 cars sat on the street, I'd not be surprised if they phoned the council to complain.

At first, I thought that it must be Scotland ONLY, because I didn't know about it either.

So, I clicked on "Advanced Features" Show Geographical Extent and it is ENGLAND and WALES only, FFS! (Unless I am missing something here.)

Errr, Capt. I believe you live in Scotland, no? :?

^
Scotland probably has a similar law, just not on that webpage.

Google Scotland McGov or something. :p

Well, clutch is still holding in there, not sure if it's dying or I'm just too used to the Yaris's easy to use gearbox with decent synchro though...
Also amusing how even carrying 4 people it doesn't seem much slower than just carrying me, compared to the noticable drop in performance in the Tyota. Probably because it's so slow in the first place I don't notice to be honest. :lol:

The new radio has developed the same fault as the old one where it cuts out randomly, earthing problem, need to take it out AGAIN. There just isn't enough room between the dash and bulkhead to fit all the cabling a modern radio needs. Also haven't got around to fixing the door mirror mount so have no door mirror now, although the repainted one has come out looking quite nice. :lol: I also took it for a 30 mile run on Drive It Day in the end, which was enjoyable and the car handled it fine.

The car then lived outside for a week while the garage was rearranged, survived unscathed amazingly enough. Took it to work on Friday and went home via the tyre fitters, it's now wearing a new set of Uniroyal RainExperts, handles much nicer with decent tyres with actual air at them. Steering is also MUCH lighter and more responsive now, which is a plus, guess the old slightly flat ones were the problem.

Since then it's been sat in the garage though, need to loosen the tappets a bit and change the oil before I next drive it, only challenge is finding the time/energy to do so... First car show of the season is on the 12th of May and I'm working the week and this weekend so I may have some busy evenings in the garage ahead of me. :lol:

Also: Taste? What's that? This is the 70s! :lol:

dolly-ideas-orange-cosmic_zps958d51dc.jpg

Last edited:
MX5, some decent shades, ditto wardrobe, clean shaven et voila!

Captain "Teens"!

:cool: