Ownership Verified: My Citroen C1!

All of those look terribly photoshopped.

i hope they are, but aside from some spy shots with very camoed cars, this is all the web has to offer...

discussed cars with a colleague today and of course ended up talking about my latest purchase. he was quite envious, as it is much more frugal, cheap to run and nippy than his car. he does about the same commute as i do, is alone in the car 90% of the time, and doesnt use his car at all during weekends...

his car was sort of an impulse buy apparently, because he needed wheels and liked its looks

he drives a brand new X3 4x4 :dunno:
how do you accidentally spend 60+k? on a car you clearly dont need?

tl,dr : someone who owns an X3 is jealous of my car. I win a free internet

^
:lol:
Truth, he speaks!

(BTW, is the X3 any good, anyway? )

he claims so, but is not so fond of the fuel bills, the maintenance bills, the tax bills, etc.
it does help getting up a steep driveway when it snows (you know, for aout 2 days a year) but he reckons since i have fwd and super skinny tyres id probably manage aswell in the c1, even with summertyres

lightness ftw!

The only time lack of weight helps in snow is when you're stuck.

I would very much like having a 2.0TDI over my front wheels in winter.

The only time lack of weight helps in snow is when you're stuck.

I would very much like having a 2.0TDI over my front wheels in winter.

you're probably right, but i think because if narrow tyres, it kinda evens out.
Even considering ditching winter tyres alltogether, dont really have the money or space for i atm, and my commute is mainly highway anyway, which will be cleared...

around 1800 kms now, so we can call it "broken in", and I can start flogging it for realsies

I just can't find the rev limited (or I am too scared)... it just revs and revs and gives you more noise (and a sort of turbo whooshing after 5.5k which is noice, truly noice!) but I don't think it has a limited... Went to about 7k (which around double what I was used to in the diseasel) without any issue whatsoever.

Rev counter goes to Dragonball Z levels (meaning quite high indeed) but I doubt it actually will do it.

Moreover, I think my car likes the abuse, it's running a bit cleaner and less rough at idle after doing this... :mrgreen: :evil:
And even doing that, I can barely get it to use any fuel...I'm liking this little car more and more as the miles roll on

I'd be very suprised if the cost cutting took away the electronic rev limiter... But it should kick in at no more than 7000 max.

I'd be very suprised if the cost cutting took away the electronic rev limiter... But it should kick in at no more than 7000 max.

dont think they skimped on that...
on an unrelated note : despite some flogging it still returned 4,51l/100 km or 52,1 mpg if you,re an American, 66,3 mpg if you're a Ukanian... which is astounding

now I'll have to kick its ass for while and see if the mpg suffers :evil:

now I'll have to kick its ass for while and see if the mpg suffers :evil:

Results are in : despite revving the nuts off it almost daily, I cannot seem to get much worse milage than 5,5 l/100 km, which is tons better than my Astra ever managed...
I hear you can even get below 4 l if you're really careful but I'm not a hypermiler

Really liking the 'full tank for under 50?' bit, especially since it has a decent range (600ish kms per tank is decent enough)

The average readout on the Yaris was 48mpg, I did the maths a few times and the computer's avg was always within 1mpg of my calculations. Never got it much below that and I drove that car hard, red-lining it every time I accelerated and going flat out everywhere. I once drove out to Aberdeen in a convoy with a Focus 1.6S and a Golf GTi and we must have been doing 85-90mph most of the way and I STILL never got under 45mpg. :lol:

The Corsa is different, I drive it 1000x more gentle than the Yaris and get 43mpg, this rapidly drops if I want to go fast but I prefer a leisurely run up to 60mph and consuming less fuel now-a-days!

The average readout on the Yaris was 48mpg, I did the maths a few times and the computer's avg was always within 1mpg of my calculations. Never got it much below that and I drove that car hard, red-lining it every time I accelerated and going flat out everywhere. I once drove out to Aberdeen in a convoy with a Focus 1.6S and a Golf GTi and we must have been doing 85-90mph most of the way and I STILL never got under 45mpg. :lol:

The Corsa is different, I drive it 1000x more gentle than the Yaris and get 43mpg, this rapidly drops if I want to go fast but I prefer a leisurely run up to 60mph and consuming less fuel now-a-days!

As I speak metric, i dont really know my mpg... but its true that driving style has little effect on mileage in these small cars... Corsa chavtastic you own will be different and much more powerful, I imagine you dont need to redline it to keep up with motorway traffic

Biggest difference between my C1 and your exYaris is weight

As I speak metric, i dont really know my mpg... but its true that driving style has little effect on mileage in these small cars... Corsa chavtastic you own will be different and much more powerful, I imagine you dont need to redline it to keep up with motorway traffic

Biggest difference between my C1 and your exYaris is weight
You are getting 51mpg, your car is lighter but I'm not sure of the gear ratios on the C1. At 60mph the Yaris was doing 3,300rpm or so, I'd imagine the C1 is quite similar. The Corsa does 2,500rpm at the same speed, in fact I rarely pass 2,500rpm in the Corsa whereas I would change up a gear at 3,500-4,000rpm in the Yaris all the time, yet the Corsa is still considerably faster. :lol:

Amusingly the Dolomite does at least 3,500rpm at 60mph, possibly more (no rev counter), so it's 35mpg (8.0 l/100 km) average is pretty impressive considering it's running a carburettor and I've never tuned it.

You are getting 51mpg, your car is lighter but I'm not sure of the gear ratios on the C1. At 60mph the Yaris was doing 3,300rpm or so, I'd imagine the C1 is quite similar. The Corsa does 2,500rpm at the same speed, in fact I rarely pass 2,500rpm in the Corsa whereas I would change up a gear at 3,500-4,000rpm in the Yaris all the time, yet the Corsa is still considerably faster. :lol:

Amusingly the Dolomite does at least 3,500rpm at 60mph, possibly more (no rev counter), so it's 35mpg (8.0 l/100 km) average is pretty impressive considering it's running a carburettor and I've never tuned it.

gearing is higher i think, its around 3000 rpm at 75 mph/120 kph....which is weird
it will however do nearly 60 mph/100 kph in 2nd :evil:
fifth is really for highway only, while 1st and 2nd are quite close, as are 3 rd and 4th

3000 kms in ! finally properly bedded in. I cannot seem to get worse mileage than 5,5l no matter how I may try :)

this weekend I'll be taking the little C1 for its first proper roadtrip :340 km round trip.
Also I will be putting winter tyres (+steelies sadly) on it...
sad to see the alloys go but with the tons of salt they dump on the roads here (even when it's +5 C outside...) its better to stow them away

I plan to hang them on the garage wall so I can still admire them when I'm parked :p
Depending on whether I actually manage to do the above, pics may or may not follow

stone chips are Satans work.. only on the windscreen and really minor but still in your field of vision
First dent/scratch/chip always hurts.. ah well

Winterwheels and tyres, I haz them. And today it's 18?C (in late October, wtf?) Anyways, pictures

Before :

After :

Before :

After :

We don't need no steenking bootspace!

Also, turns out I cannot mount my wheels to the wall because they do not have a big hole in the center like my steelies...so I just did this

Now bring on the snow and ice :driving:

Last edited:
A week of highs and lows... Wife had sold our old child buggy + cot + carseat + accessories to someone and wanted me to deliver the goods.
She threw the Picasso's keys at me with a look that said "you'll need the space of the bigger car", and "it'll never fit in your tiny thing so don't even try"

As I'm of the persuasion : impossible is nothing, I had a crack at trying to fit all the stuff anyway, and was very pleased to find it did indeed fit quite easily.
It is not an impractical little thing of a car which has no space!

The surprise on the face of the buyer was worth it when I opened the boot... we had trouble fitting it inside his Citroen C4 (and also had to revert to dropping the seats down to make it fit)...

On a not so good note, the first scratch is here. Good news is that's it's very minor and on a wheelcover (which basic function is to protect the wheels from exactly this sort of thing), but still not a nice feeling.

I do now know exactly how wide it is :p ... Good thing this didn't happen with my precious (and as of yet pristine) summer alloys!

In other news, nearly 5k kms in and the engine is slowly getting more loosened up, revving more freely and also quicker. Fuel consumption still on par, despite franti thrashing and much traffic jams. All's good.

The only function of a wheel cover is to look better than the black steel wheel underneath. :p

The only function of a wheel cover is to look better than the black steel wheel underneath. :p
I'm still better off :p
mildly scratched wheelcover > scratched steel wheel (which will rust)