My Corolla Sportivo

underscore

Car(s)
Corolla RunX (TSport)
Hi all. Figured I better introduce myself and kill 2 birds with 1 stone and show off my car at the same time. Also, my quick meaningless search yielded no other Corolla's in this section.

It is an 04 Corolla sportivo, also known as the T-Sport or RunX in other markets. Comes with the 2zz-ge that Lotus borrow for the 111R Elise. Being a student mods are few but since I track it all the mods are focused in that direction. Pieced together a custom 19 row Earl's oil cooler kit, Cusco Zero 2 coilovers, front and rear strut bars and upgraded brake pads. I have no engine mods for the time being, but pushes out a healthy 108kW (144hp) atw's and have done a 15.132 @ 149kph (93mph) down the strip without the coilovers.

If anyone is interested to know more I'd be willing to answer any questions.

Now the pictures
The Coilovers
P1030943.jpg

The oil cooler system
P1030554.jpg

Car without coilovers :lol:
IMG_1504.jpg

Car with coilovers
P1040162.jpg

In action at QR (Queensland Raceway)
gallery_2_31_66914.jpg

At the track
And this is what it sounds like (with a CAI fitted): [YOUTUBE]GyHnX4nPu6M[/YOUTUBE]
Other videos found here, nothing special: youtube link

Do strutbars make a huge difference in handling characteristics?

unknownspeedster: The car from factory had very similar suspension to the normal Corolla, but with a smaller rear anti-roll bar (sway bar). This caused the car to understeer. I upgraded the rear anti roll bar and the effect was reduced, but was still there when pushing hard. The coilovers made the car feel like it was on rails, and I don't even have grippy tyres. I can dial in understeer or oversteer depending on my mood. But on the street I have understeer dialed in since it is the safest.

bartboy9891: The front strut bar made little difference. Lap time wise I would say no change, but it did give me slightly more traction and reduced the tendancy to wheel hopp. The rear strut brace made a bigger difference. When taking corners I could feel the chassis flexing at the rear, put it in and no more flex :thumbsup:

Not to go OTT or anything, but when I was looking at the 2nd photo, I can't help, but notice you have a gigantic big toe, almost like it was swelling or something.

I think that is BS that you only get 144HP from the 2ZZ and my friend has a 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT that came stock with 180 HP. Toyota should be ashamed.

Still, very cool mods that you did.

I think that is BS that you only get 144HP from the 2ZZ and my friend has a 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT that came stock with 180 HP. Toyota should be ashamed.

The Vibe/Matrix 180 horse engine has a higher rev limit AND requires premium fuel. That said, I am surprised that you don't see it in more cars. I wish my 2003 MR-2 had the 180 horse mill, but sadly, it didn't.

Steve

Is that the same as the supercharged T-sport here?

Is that the same as the supercharged T-sport here?

No! Just naturally aspirated. Esentially, they took the Celica GT engine and tranny and dropped into the Pontiac Vibe GT and Toyota Matrix XRT(?). It is a bad ass station wagon! :lol:

And boy, that 2ZZ really SINGS at 8000 rpms!

jayhawk said:
The Vibe/Matrix 180 horse engine has a higher rev limit I think that is BS that you only get 144HP from the 2ZZ and my friend has a 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT that came stock with 180 HP. Toyota should be ashamed.

Still, very cool mods that you did.

That 144hp is at the wheels. Toyota claims I have 189hp at the flywheel.
Once I have graduated I hope to pick up a few items to increase power.

Steve Levin: A lot of people are starting to tansplant the 2zz into the MR-S. Makes a cheap Lotus :lol:

I wish Topgear had taken the T-Sport, or even the compressor, around the test track just to see how it fairs against the competition. Considering it is just a hot engine in a Corolla it does go fairly well.

Hooray! another sportivo owner, i have an '06 model. Underscore are you talking about power at the wheels, cuz mine makes 141kw completely stock

Since your in Australia have you seen this forum? tocau

Yep, that 108kW is at the wheels. Which is average, some have up to 112kW and some as low as 105kW. But is much of a muchness really.
dyno19082006.jpg

No i havent actually, so mines probably about the same. Oh well, its still a great car

I love how you've kept the stock look!

Maybe just paint your calipers?