My E39 M5 (<3)

Fucken M5 prices here in Australia :blowup:

Otherwise I'd have one much sooner than planned. Argh........:mad:

Yeah, I just had a look online for US prices.

Fucken $15k?? That's 10k less than my 328 is worth in Aus.

Again, no fault of the US owners, awesome cars!! Very jealous.

Thats it, when I graduate I am totally getting a job with an aerospace eng firm in the US so I can finally buy my dream cars.

hahaha +rep for shutting up any doubters before they even piped up. We want interior shots! Btw, what year is it?

I'll properly shoot my car tomorrow after I get it washed and vacuumed. It's a 2001.

Thats it, when I graduate I am totally getting a job with an aerospace eng firm in the US so I can finally buy my dream cars.

Just to give you a glimmer of hope, I was able to obtain my beast back in 2007, after I left college a few years before with no degree and was able to land jobs and work my bum off to get the IT manager gig I got for two years.

Sadly though, I'm back in school getting my full degree and then getting my MBA or PHD (haven't decided) so I can start my car collection :mrgreen:

Yeah, I just had a look online for US prices.

Fucken $15k?? That's 10k less than my 328 is worth in Aus.

Again, no fault of the US owners, awesome cars!! Very jealous.

Careful though guys, M5s before 2000 have a faulty piston ring design that makes it literally drink oil.

Ones afterwards had the problem fixed. Still drinks oil if driven "vigorously".

Just pointing out, they drink very expensive BMW specific oil. Not stuff you find at a gas station. It's some goofy weight, I forget what, but it's $$$$$.

Careful though guys, M5s before 2000 have a faulty piston ring design that makes it literally drink oil.

Ones afterwards had the problem fixed. Still drinks oil if driven "vigorously".

Yes, but the US spec ones first came in 2000, so nothing really to worry about in that sense. They still drink oil regardless, I always had to add a quart halfway through the synthetic oil life cycle (~2500 miles), especially if I decide to have a few quick high speed runs.

Just pointing out, they drink very expensive BMW specific oil. Not stuff you find at a gas station. It's some goofy weight, I forget what, but it's $$$$$.

Not necessarily, BMW 'recommends' to use their oil, as well as their tune up parts (i.e. they're expensive spark plugs and hoses) when its really just BMW wanting more money from me and other owners. BMW is known to use re-branded bosch parts, which are parts you can find at NAPA 3 times less than you can find at the BMW dealer.

Using any good quality synthetic, i.e. mobil 1, valvoline, etc, and the correct weight (they recommend 5W-30, but depending on the season, I can use 10W-30) it doesn't really matter. Just keep up with maintenance schedules and it will be fine.

Pretty sure the OEM oil suggestion is 10w60 synthetic. Check your owners manual.

Yes, but the US spec ones first came in 2000, so nothing really to worry about in that sense. They still drink oil regardless, I always had to add a quart halfway through the synthetic oil life cycle (~2500 miles), especially if I decide to have a few quick high speed runs.

Not necessarily, BMW 'recommends' to use their oil, as well as their tune up parts (i.e. they're expensive spark plugs and hoses) when its really just BMW wanting more money from me and other owners. BMW is known to use re-branded bosch parts, which are parts you can find at NAPA 3 times less than you can find at the BMW dealer.

Using any good quality synthetic, i.e. mobil 1, valvoline, etc, and the correct weight (they recommend 5W-30, but depending on the season, I can use 10W-30) it doesn't really matter. Just keep up with maintenance schedules and it will be fine.

There I was trying to sound clever and you know it all. :) I personally can't get my hands on the 10w60 but I use castrol 5w30 SAE and the car seems happy with that.

Driving the M5 to work and back is my equivalent of a cigarette before and after my shift. So good to drive and a nice place to be.

very nice car! ;) my favourite M5..:thumbsup:

The E39 M5, one of my all time favourite cars.. Hopefully i'll be able to purchase one in the coming years, they're almost cheap these days, even here in overtaxed finland.
I love it, looks really great. And I demand more photos! :D

how much does it cost to run an E39 M5 on the long run ? everything included ?

oh ... and about your car ... blue e39 m5 ... nuff said

A lot but hey its only money. Tires are expensive and as reliable as BMW's are it needs looked after properly; no cheap shite in them like plugs and oil.

M5's make me have a tingle near my bowels. Especially black ones.

Last edited:

The only huge maintenance problem I have are tires, but that is common with any car with wide, low profile tires.

Most of the other stuff isn't so bad. It's just finding the right mechanic, that's where most of the money gets blown. If you know where to look, parts are not too expensive, at least mechanical parts like spark plugs, hoses, etc. Just the labor people like charging a premium and that's what annoys me. They feel that they should charge more just because it's a bimmer, but oh well.