My Expedition

Ramrod

Car(s)
1998 Ford Expedition
This is my first time posting here and I figured it might as well be in this forum considering I just bought this. It is a 1998 Eddie Bauer. Plans include a cold air intake, 75mm throttle body, custom dual exhaust and a power programmer. I may also put a 3 inch body lift on it and squeeze 35" meats under it.

The best part is I only paid a third of book value for it because of a warped passenger side exhaust manifold which I replaced with headers.

How's the ride on that? My Explorer on any road with a pebble is murder.

This has the auto leveling 4 wheel air system. It is like glass on the road and not much worse on the trail. It is a blessing and also a curse though. Due to that air ride I cannot put a suspension lift on without doing MAJOR mods and losing all the air ride functionality.

On the plus side when I put it in 4 low the whole thing raises up about 2 inches for added clearance. That with planned body lift and 35" tires should give all the room I need to hit some trails that are just a bit tough right now.

Bigger tires definitely wouldn't look out of proportion on this mammoth.

Bigger tires definitely wouldn't look out of proportion on this mammoth.

Hey, its smaller than an Escalade :)

It is still big, but it is real nice to be able to take the wife and kids, and the kids friends, to the park or whatever without needing two cars to do it.

For the record I wasn't say 'mammoth' in a negative way.

Looking at newer suv's over older ones makde me realize that they are getting bigger so..

This will be the size of the 2013 Ford Escape :p
ExcursionDealer.jpg

where in PA?

Never really fond of big Fords, but sounds like you got a good deal.

Towanda. According to google maps its about 3 hours from where you are.

Yeah. I got a hell of a deal. Even doing all the stuff to it from the first post I will still be under book value for it.

I think mine is a bit wider and just a hair longer.....but back when in '98 it dwarfed the Explorer.

Of course now you can get the Expedition XL (x-tra long) which is just plain huge.

EDIT: after some googling The 1998 Expedition is 15 inches taller, 6 inches wider and 5 inches taller than the '05 Explorer.

Funny thing though. One of the parents at my kids school drives a 2004 Expedition and it is really no bigger than mine.

P.S. yeah, I am bored and have nothing better to do than look up useless facts. :)

Last edited:
:thumbsdown: Nothing against you, but I hate SUVs.

Mind if I ask why? Especially since I have a legitimate reason for owning one. I have a wife, 3 kids and my in laws that I regularly transport all at once. Now, even though I may only get 18MPG on the highway with a full load how is it any better than driving two cars that get 36MPG each, plus double the tire wear etc.

Also curious, what do you drive if you get like a foot of snow? You must have to wait for the snow plows to clear the roads. I don't, and I like that. Don't get me wrong, I don't think having 4wd gives me the ability to drive in snow like it was normal pavement. I take it slow and steady but at least I can get where I am going.

Last edited:
Hah, I've never seen a normal Expedition over here, they're always stretched and blinged :D

I don't plan on any bling whatsoever, in fact I want to put a shell over the front and rear bumpers to get of all the chrome.