My Fellow Americans?

liberal noob

Car(s)
1999 VW Jetta
How would you make our beloved Top Gear marketable for a US audience? Would world make a good American oriented ?Top Gear Challenge?? Remember most shows in the US must be advertiser friendly.

The name `threadstarter -name` is well chosen.

There are plenty of topics on this already, please use the search.

Make it more marketable? Let it be, it hasn't grown in popularity for nothing. If it isn't broken then don't attempt to fix it.

Make it more marketable? Let it be, it hasn't grown in popularity for nothing. If it isn't broken then don't attempt to fix it.

exactly

though alot of americans do take themselves that little bit more seriously than they should and i can see them getting all riled up at JC's american cheap shots.

thats probs why he does it. he can have a dig, and be safe in the knowledge that the british viewers got a cheap laugh, and the americans cant do nothing about what he just said.

i think if you had to describe TG in a phrase or sentence it would be

" a two fingered salute to absolutely everybody and to hell with what you think"

thats why i love it

And its not just JC having a go at America, you guys do like to deliver your own commentary on other countries such as England, Australia, France, in the same way that us Aussies like to poke fun at Britain, America, Italy, what have you...

It cuts both ways.

let it be.

it wouldn't take much effort for our networks to find moments for their commercial breaks every 7-10 minutes with the way top gear is segmented.

I hope they don't make an American Top Gear.

It will be polished up and watered down and will generally suck.

The good thing about TG is that they don't have to pull punches for advertisers. They also get another 20 minutes of programming per hour because they have no advertising.

There are plenty of ways to make the show more marketable in the US. Unfortunately, all of them will make the show less good.

-Justin

Top Gear in its current character will not survive in America because most Americans take themselves too seriously. They don't understand that a entertainment television show is just humor, nothing more. In Britain, Clarkson will joke about old british citizens... old nobles with a lot of money... popstars that likely never went through puberty ...etc. And he'll just call them by their names.

But if the new American Special were to be shown in America, they'll just get sued. Everyone that would be offended by anything will launch a lawsuit on you. As they said in the last episode, they wanted to sue Clarkson because he promised a '91 camaro for free and it was a '89 camaro ..... with a $20000 settlement.

WTF!! It's a goddamn free car, take it or leave it. If you can't afford a car, you can't afford to complain when someone gives you one for free. Damn it, you can shut up and take it, and just turn around and sell it, you'd get a couple of hundred dollars at least. Kind of goes to show you why many people didn't help in the true disaster that was New Orleans ... if you give them a hand they take your whole arm.

That being said, how the hell does the charitable organization they went through afford lawyers? So they can afford lawyers but can't afford to help their fellow citizens ... why don't they put all that money to better use?

Last edited:
Top Gear in its current character will not survive in America because most Americans take themselves too seriously. They don't understand that a entertainment television show is just humor, nothing more. In Britain, Clarkson will joke about old british citizens... old nobles with a lot of money... popstars that likely never went through puberty ...etc. And he'll just call them by their names.

But if the new American Special were to be shown in America, they'll just get sued. Everyone that would be offended by anything will launch a lawsuit on you. As they said in the last episode, they wanted to sue Clarkson because he promised a '91 camaro for free and it was a '89 camaro ..... with a $20000 settlement.

WTF!! It's a goddamn free car, take it or leave it. If you can't afford a car, you can't afford to complain when someone gives you one for free. Damn it, you can shut up and take it, and just turn around and sell it, you'd get a couple of hundred dollars at least. Kind of goes to show you why many people didn't help in the true disaster that was New Orleans ... if you give them a hand they take your whole arm.
Well stated.:thumbsup:
You forgot UK celebrities that most Americans have no clue about. The Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car segment needs to go. Replace it with commercials/old power lap segment for the US.

i find it pretty hilarious that non-americans keep asserting that americans are too serious and lack humor. oddly enough, borat was one of the most successful films in the u.s. last year and everyone and the only complaint from anyone was kid rock. also, i've noticed more than a few europeans remark how much they love watching the daily show. furthermore, dave chappelle and chris rock are two of the most crass american comedians. they're also two of the most successful in the history of comedians.

we love nothing more than poking fun at ourselves.

also, vladmitu, you can't take everything jeremy says as the gospel. we have no idea how truthful he was being regarding the threat of being sued, and he barely gave us any insight.

Last edited:
If they brought Top Gear over for regular brodcast, just about everything they say would need to be cut out, since hearing James May say the word "Ruddy" would probably launch a lawsuit for the BBC and whatever brodcasting corporation that showed it in the US.

-Segments would have to be refilmed so Clarkson can announce commerical breaks around five times an episode.
-A couple of segments, including Star in a Reasonably Priced Car would have to go, so the total show time would be a show to commerical ratio of 15:45.
-There would have to be more explosions and crashes.
-The three would have to do a NASCAR segment
-Anything "non-PC", or pretty much anything that is said in the studio segments, would be cut. Same goes to Clarkson bashing Americans and American cars. French-bashing is still in-bounds.
-Clarkson's The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly would be edited into a five minute clip of all of the explosions and destruction, to get rid of any offensiveness but still give us Americans what we truely want.

The above text, like the show itself, is not meant to be taken seriously. ;)

How would I make TG marketable for an American audience without dumbing it down? Simple. Cheap Corvette challenge. :D

I just thought of something that would work for the American audience.

NASCAR driver in an old beat truck.

dodgy.gif
It would work.

That being said, how the hell does the charitable organization they went through afford lawyers? So they can afford lawyers but can't afford to help their fellow citizens ... why don't they put all that money to better use?

Although we have more than our share of lawyers - we have even more con artists.

That wasn't a lawyer.

-Justin

I really hate that TG would be dumbed down if it ever came to America. I hate the way anything TV is done over here. Thank god for Bittorrent.

That is a bit harsh, we have done some good television over here.

M*A*S*H was an American production, as is Mythbusters, Overhaulin', Rides, NOVA, and everything on the History Channel and Discovery Channels.

The American television system destroys quality programming. Please keep Top Gear away from any kind of American decision making.

God I hate television in this country.

i tried to ask if i could get the BBC for the sole purpose of watching top gear and was sadly disapointed.

we're uptight yet the BBC wont let youtube host videos of their stuff so we can watch it. there IS a market for it here, the people that want it just cant get it.

america used to be like the young spunky kid brother who could take on the world and its like our country has grown up, dropped out of high school, is working at a mcdonalds and is trying to support a trailer full of kids with his wife that "used to be hot".

i tried to ask if i could get the BBC for the sole purpose of watching top gear and was sadly disapointed.

we're uptight yet the BBC wont let youtube host videos of their stuff so we can watch it. there IS a market for it here, the people that want it just cant get it.

america used to be like the young spunky kid brother who could take on the world and its like our country has grown up, dropped out of high school, is working at a mcdonalds and is trying to support a trailer full of kids with his wife that "used to be hot".

I've said this a few times now - sorry for repeating myself - but probably worth mentioning again.

The BBC ARE planning to launch a commercial (international) version of the iPlayer within a year or two that will (for a subscription or payperplay) give you access to any show broadcast on the BBC - including Top Gear.