Ownership Verified: My first ever factory-new car: VW Tiguan 1.4 TSI

:lol: yeah, for no cost to you they will leave off a few parts... almost like superlight versions of Lambos or Porsche that charge you for leaving off parts.

I've never been a friend of showing off - I like that it plainly says VW on the back. It's enough information :D

However, there are some nice additions to brand logos on the market... this for instance:
m7WVn1Z1tPOW_7tZPq9BnKQ.jpg

I am not a friend of putting funny stickers or stuff on my car's backside. I used to be but not anymore. In earlier times I favoured stickers like "I brake for GTI's" or "Never a Rolls Royce again" but I was younger then ;)

Last edited:
^people with tiny dicks that want everyone to know they have the XX engine. Usually the second smallest one.
In my experience only the people with the larger engines want to debadge them. Because sleeper.

^people with tiny dicks that want everyone to know they have the XX engine. Usually the second smallest one.
In my experience only the people with the larger engines want to debadge them. Because sleeper.

:lol: All TSI versions of my car has the same badge, although the "big block" 1.8 might have the I painted red. But what matters more is that the 1.2 has one exhaust tip while my 1.4 has two. :p Same goes for the 1.6 and 2.0 TDI.

IIRC bmw did that for the longest time to differentiate 4 and 6 cyl cars too.

This is the baby 1.4 with only a small turbo making 122hp, the turbo + supercharger 1.4 Tiguan makes 160hp and is still for sale.

I figured that much, Im just saying I rarely see the comp-turb one in cars/reviews. Passat and Golf and pretty much most of VW group mostly uses either the 122bhp or the 170bhp both only turbo (or any other variation). I always wondered how come they wouldnt use the comp-turb over others but I think I read something about production cost/reliability and thats why they pushed the only turbo engines more.

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
After a couple of days now I am still impressed how smooth and silent the 1.4 liter 4-cylinder engine is.

In idle you don't hear it at all, only when you rev it you notice it's still there. You feel nothing, there are no vibrations, no jutter, no resonances whatsoever. I took it over the usual roads I frequently used for my rental car reviews and I must say that the overall impression is an extremely solid one. The only noise other than the engine, the tyres or the wind comes from the trunk, where I stored my plastic shopping crate. Yes, the car is so smooth and silent that you can hear it silently rattle back in there under the trunk floor, when you go over a bump.

I suppose the tyres could be quieter, though, and someday I will fit it with real summer tyres to test that out. Thinking of making a driving video with my trusted GoPro. Haven't done that for quite some time :D

Finally some sunny weather, so I did a short drive around the block for a video:)

Hey, I'm much older than you and I'm entering the age where quiet convenience becomes a priority ;) I settled down, I have a house and I am mentally preparing for the final sprint to my retirement :wheelchair: And being a quiet and comfy ride is indeed what I like most about my new car. Cruising, not speeding. Cornering quickly but without screeching tyres, if you know what I mean. Also no more bending down to enter :)

For everything else I can always have a rental, if I feel the desire :p

Sit rep: did my first long trip since I bought the car, 1600 km on the Autobahn.

Car feels very planted, is quiet and comfy and no sign of fatigue even after 7 hours behind the wheel.

During the trip the Tiguan improved a bit concerning top speed, could get it up to 195 kph on the speedo in 6th gear. Normally you need 5th gear to each top speed.

Wind noises are almost not existing, the all weather tyres can become quite loud on rough road surfaces, though, which can be annoying on pieces of autobahn that apparently haven't been paved ever since Adolf built them. Also the tyres make the steering feel a bit spongy at times, I guess I will sooner or later get decent summer rubbers.

Overall fuel consumption was 9,4 liters at speeds between 140 and 180 kph and 4 people with luggage on board.

Car has 2900 km on the odometer now and all is fine. Absolutely nothing that bothers me so far.

Do you want to keep your all season tyres?

For now, yes.