Ownership Verified: My first new car evar! 2016 Caddy ATS

Rokovak

Car(s)
2016 Cadillac ATS
I actually bought this about 6 months ago, so yea, I'm pretty late in posting this. This fine specimen is the Performance trim with the 2 liter turbo four and all-wheel-drive. I bought it straight off the showroom floor, and driving home I was happier than a pig in mud. I'll tell you what, this thing is SHARP. The chassis is as rigid as can be, the suspension has just the right damping, steering is quick and precise, and the brakes are perfect. There's no doubt that some people dissected a 3 series to get this right, but it definitely has it's own character. I love love LOVE how the 8 speed transmission downshifts one gear at a time in Sport mode. I don't really understand why sales are in the dump. You might think it shouldn't concern me, but why not? Maybe there's still a stigma with GM. Whatever, I effing love this thing. What I don't love is the camera on my phone. Apologies for the low quality of some photos.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

Motorized and lighted cubby hole behind the climate control panel, with a wireless charging port. Pretty slick, huh?

And the obligatory:

IMG_0523.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TC
NOICE

Very nice!

Super nice!

Very nice Caddy! Glad to hear you're enjoying your new ride!

As to GM vehicles in general, I'll preface the following by saying that - up through the 1972 models - I was a die-hard GM fan. I had owned some other brands, but GM was the company I trusted to build solid, good-looking cars that worked the way they were intended to. But, from 1973 forward, the downhill slide began...

I don't really understand why sales are in the dump. You might think it shouldn't concern me, but why not? Maybe there's still a stigma with GM.

I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head. Those of you under 30 didn't live through the time when GM produced crappy vehicles with some of the most infuriating engineering ever foisted on the buying public - and repeated bad experiences like that make lasting impressions. That said, one of GM's current problems is that some of their designs make routine and semi-routine servicing very difficult. I understand that they're looking to save time on the assembly line, but they sometimes ignore issues that would make owners' lives much easier. My other problem with GM is that I don't like a lot of the technology that's standard in today's cars and trucks - and GM vehicles are among the most difficult when it comes to finding ways to defeat it. (Edit: And yes, there are other companies guilty of these same omissions, but I don't plan to buy any of their cars, either!) So, I've personally SWORN to myself that I will NEVER buy another (late model) GM vehicle, even if they're selling them for $1.00 each. It just ain't gonna happen... even to the point where, on our last several vehicle purchases, we didn't bother visiting even ONE GM dealer.

Sorry to be such a grouch, but that's how I feel about GM!:rolleyes:

SL

Last edited:
At 40 years young, I remember being thoroughly unimpressed with most cars from the 80s and 90s, GM included. It's sad though, because there's still a chance to turn everything around. In some respects, there's been success. Case in point; I test drove a 320i xDrive before the ATS, and the Bimmer is a smash hit. But, I believe the ATS is an all-around better executed package, and many journalist reviews attest to this. It's quicker, better looking, equally solid, equally tight handling, so there's really only nitpicky stuff to complain about - I wish the rear windows had an auto-up function, the transmission occasionally lugs the engine by selecting too high of a gear when driving like :james:, and that's pretty much it from my perspective.

What saddens me about this brand is that by the time my lease is up, there probably won't be another Cadillac to upgrade to, at least no car that checks all the boxes of what I want in a daily driver; four doors, all wheel drive, turbocharged and an automatic or semi-automatic. The ATS-V will probably never get all wheel drive, nor will the CTS V-Sport. The CT6 is out of my budget and the CT8 has been cancelled, not that that was any closer to my budget, anyway. On the brighter side, I'll always have the option to buy this car outright when it's time. I'm really interested to see if I can get a solid 500 horses out of this little 2 liter. :drool:

I drove the 3.6 mt6 a few years ago. It's quite a fun to drive car for something from the US. But it didn't blow my mind to be fair. I was highly annoyed by the infotainment system .. and the rear seat is only for kids and midgets.. but overall not a bad car